Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MS2016 driver handle not presenting, not opening, can't find the reason

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,
(and sorry for my English)

I've searched and read many threads but haven't been able to find a similar problem

I woke up a morning and the two left handles were not working. I first thought it was the Door Control Module (DCM) but had the good idea to check the fuses and yes, it blown!
So I replaced it and now only the driver's handle is not working.

It doesn't work at all, no presenting, no motor noise, no opening if I manually pull the handle, etc.

I remove it from the car, checked and the gear is fine, check the two microswitch with a multimeter and they work fine as well.

I opened the service mode, and tied the "handle calibrate" function but the driver one is not recognized.

So I'm a bit lost, what do you guys think the problem is?

Thanks for your help.

Soooooo I investigated a little this afternoon and found.... nothing.
  • I checked the wiring, everything looks good
  • I checked if I have 12v at the handle plug, it's ok (pin 1 and 2)
  • I checked the continuity in the wiring between handle plug and the DCM plug in the door, it's ok
    • Pin 1:12v - ok
    • Pin 2:GND - ok
    • Pin 5: Release - I don't where it's going
    • Pin 10: LIN (bus?) - ok
  • I checked the continuity in the wiring between handle plug and handle module in the handle, it's ok
I don't what to think other than the electronic module in the handle is not working!

Additionnal image of the wiring for those who are looking for it.

Can anyone help with the red question? It's nigth now so I can't have a look in the door but what it the red surrounded part? Door latch?

Thanks for your help

Screenshot 2023-12-27 175657.png

Thanks Gtech, I didn't know the X123 were the connector references! Very helpful I'm learning to read diagrams by myself but let's say it's not intuitive at first.

For the news, I decided to remove the rear door handle, transfer the internals parts to the front handle so I can easily fix the problem and access more comfortably to my car.... or at least I thought it would be a good idea..... now I have 2 handles not working correctly 🥲

The driver handle is working accordingly (pull out, light, etc.) except the last "feature", when you pull the handle to open the door, nothing happen. It behaves exactly like it should though, just doesn't release the latch.

IMO, I need to remove it again and check the microswitch (which is weird cause I tested it several times before installing it again).

Reactions: Gtech
Thanks Gtech, I didn't know the X123 were the connector references! Very helpful I'm learning to read diagrams by myself but let's say it's not intuitive at first.

For the news, I decided to remove the rear door handle, transfer the internals parts to the front handle so I can easily fix the problem and access more comfortably to my car.... or at least I thought it would be a good idea..... now I have 2 handles not working correctly 🥲

The driver handle is working accordingly (pull out, light, etc.) except the last "feature", when you pull the handle to open the door, nothing happen. It behaves exactly like it should though, just doesn't release the latch.

IMO, I need to remove it again and check the microswitch (which is weird cause I tested it several times before installing it again).

I heard that you cannot swap door handle modules to a different door (paddle motor, pressure sensor or microswitches are no issue off course) so maybe that explains why it doesn't work 100% but I never tried it myself but keep it in mind when testing

Reactions: Julien000
I heard that you cannot swap door handle modules to a different door (paddle motor, pressure sensor or microswitches are no issue off course) so maybe that explains why it doesn't work 100% but I never tried it myself but keep it in mind when testing
You mean the internal module?

It could make sense cause I opened the service mode and checked the handle calibration (even if my handles are 2.0 and don't require it) but the driver handle is not recognized.

20231231_134930 (1).jpg

I also tried to redeploy the software but didn't fix anything. Maybe I didn't choose the right mode.

20231231_134958.jpg

And finally a short video of how the handle behaves. It really gives me the feeling everything should be working but the latch doesn't receive the signal. If I use the internal handle, it receives the electronic signal, I don't need to go all the way and use the mechanical cable to release the latch.

You mean the internal module?

It could make sense cause I opened the service mode and checked the handle calibration (even if my handles are 2.0 and don't require it) but the driver handle is not recognized.

View attachment 1004584

I also tried to redeploy the software but didn't fix anything. Maybe I didn't choose the right mode.

View attachment 1004574

And finally a short video of how the handle behaves. It really gives me the feeling everything should be working but the latch doesn't receive the signal. If I use the internal handle, it receives the electronic signal, I don't need to go all the way and use the mechanical cable to release the latch.

Only gen 2.1/3 needs calibration indeed.

Are all other components working that are connected to LH DCM? So both LH side windows, mirror, window switch etc.

do you see any moist intrusion on the internal door handle module or the Paddle gear motor?

Only gen 2.1/3 needs calibration indeed.

Are all other components working that are connected to LH DCM? So both LH side windows, mirror, window switch etc.

do you see any moist intrusion on the internal door handle module or the ?

Everything is working just fine, mirrors, windows, etc. and I haven't noticed any moist in the handle. Did you have anything in mind?

I will check again the microswitches to be sure but it -12*C today sooooo....

Everything is working just fine, mirrors, windows, etc. and I haven't noticed any moist in the handle. Did you have anything in mind?

I will check again the microswitches to be sure but it -12*C today sooooo....

Did you tried testing the Paddle gear motor with external power source? Just feed it 12V and it should be spinning

Edit, before supplying power you could also check how many ohms the Paddle gear motor has compared to the other handle you teared down, I believe a few ohms but not sure how much

Last edited:
Joined the forum just to reply to this thread ;) Just before Christmas I became the proud owner of a P90DL. Just after Christmas, the driver's (that'd be the right one for me) door handle stopped presenting AND doesn't release if encouraged out of its little cave with a couple of credit cards.

The "usual" failures seem to be one or the other.

I took it out today and the microswitches are fine, and its lever gear thingy is still intact. It still triggers the other three to present when pressed, and the motor tries to retract if I loosen the microswitch which lives on the metal lever arm. So the controller isn't totally kaput, there's 12V on the rails etc etc.

I've booked it in with Tesla, will report back on what they find. But based on the above, I'm sorely tempted by the used door controller currently on ebay....

Joined the forum just to reply to this thread ;) Just before Christmas I became the proud owner of a P90DL. Just after Christmas, the driver's (that'd be the right one for me) door handle stopped presenting AND doesn't release if encouraged out of its little cave with a couple of credit cards.

The "usual" failures seem to be one or the other.

I took it out today and the microswitches are fine, and its lever gear thingy is still intact. It still triggers the other three to present when pressed, and the motor tries to retract if I loosen the microswitch which lives on the metal lever arm. So the controller isn't totally kaput, there's 12V on the rails etc etc.

I've booked it in with Tesla, will report back on what they find. But based on the above, I'm sorely tempted by the used door controller currently on ebay....

Hi Stunned Monkey,

Problem seems similar, and I'd say that my guess is your control module too (internal to the handle).

You can preventively check the wiring between the car and the door, there's a black stuff (I don't know the name in english), you remove it and check no wire is broken, etc.

Is the rest of the door working? opening from the inside, windows, etc.

Thanks Julien, The fact that some of the functions of the handle work (making the other three present when pressed / motor tries to retract when it thinks the handle is out) tells me the wiring to the door isn't faulty, and everything else on the door works.

Thanks Julien, The fact that some of the functions of the handle work (making the other three present when pressed / motor tries to retract when it thinks the handle is out) tells me the wiring to the door isn't faulty, and everything else on the door works.

You're 100% right, and that's why I said preventively and not correctively just to make this common problem won't be a concern of yours ;)

Is the rest of the door working (inside door opening, lights, side mirror, windows, etc.)?