Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MS2016 driver handle not presenting, not opening, can't find the reason

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't think it can do any harm, only thing is that 'full' takes longer then just 'CAN'

Not sure if 'full' is just CAN, DAS and IC combined or that some LIN stuff is updated with 'full' also.

I have a old offline service manual and it was mandatory to redeploy with a 'new' door handle so I would just give it a spin.

View attachment 1012192

Thanks Gtech, so maybe "my theory" of the handle module will get its location programmed during first installation is right, I'll check that tonight.

I keep you posted

Hi.
75D 2016.5
I have a similar fault. The fuse breaks, when the handle is connected.
The handle dosen't appears.
The motor runs fine with 12V from another source.

Iam sure the handle module is the problem.

I looked at a new module from China.
40 USD.
Is it not possible to change it with a new one without coding it? It's not I DIY job?

Hi.
75D 2016.5

40 USD.
Is it not possible to change it with a new one without coding it? It's not I DIY job?

The handle module cannot be the problem your fuse blowing. It's either a broken wire or the motor that could force too much.
  • Does your fuse blow repeatedly when you replace it?
  • Do you hear the motor running when you open the car?
Maybe there is some coding involved when you replace the module by a brand new one. I did a full reinstall but didn't solve the problem, so either it's not that or I can simply can't do the coding by myslef.

Hi.
75D 2016.5

40 USD.
Could you please share that link?

Update:
I changed the Door Controle Module, reinstalled the software, and the situation is still the same!
This is driving me crazy
My biggest bet would still be to use a known good left front door handle module. Since both left door handles are on same linbus they have to have send out another adres because otherwise door module cannot know which is which

Reactions: Julien000
The handle module cannot be the problem your fuse blowing. It's either a broken wire or the motor that could force too much.
  • Does your fuse blow repeatedly when you replace it?
  • Do you hear the motor running when you open the car?
Maybe there is some coding involved when you replace the module by a brand new one. I did a full reinstall but didn't solve the problem, so either it's not that or I can simply can't do the coding by myslef.
It blows the fuse when the handle is connected to the wiring harness

The motor run fine with 12 volt.

The new control module is arrived next week. So I hope that's the issue, we'll see..

My biggest bet would still be to use a known good left front door handle module. Since both left door handles are on same linbus they have to have send out another adres because otherwise door module cannot know which is which
@Gtech I do agree with you since the beginning, an experiment is always good to validate theory :)
Alternatively, in order to easily access my car the time I receive the new complete handle, what do you think of modifying the harness ?

I was thinking of the following, where the external release switch would run in parallele with the internal relaease switch. This should open the door fine BUT if the car is closed, and somebody pull the handle, it will open the door anyway trigerring the alarm.

What's your take on it? pink would be the new "routing"?

20240210_135900.jpg

Reactions: Gtech
Hi, I just joined to contribute with my experience.
I have a 2014 Model S 85. A few weeks ago I got out of the car for a minute, when I looked back, the driver's door handle was extended halfway out, I pulled it but it did nothing, had to open my door from the inside entering the passenger side. I drove off and the handles did not retract. A few minutes later, noticed that also the control switch for the windows and mirrors wasn't working, it's light was off, none of the buttons worked, locking the car also wouldn't retract the mirrors, noticed rear driver side door handle stopped working also. A bit later that day, whenever I opened the driver door, the glass was going down but not back up when I closed the door, that kept happening until the window was fully down. I also noticed in the consumption graph that for some time it spiked to over 50,000 Wh/mi, shown in the picture attached; projected range was 0 miles with 40% charge but I was able to drive around just fine. Later that day I got home and was able to find fuse related to the driver side doors, it was blown, replacing the fuse made it blow immediately. Took apart driver's door panel and started unplugging everything: Door Control Unit, exterior door handle, door latch, window regulator motor, etc. Checked fuse again and it stopped blowing, I began to plug stuff back, and the fuse didn't blow again even with everything connected. The left front door handle was dead, not even a noise it made. I took apart rear door to test with that handle, plugged it in the front, and every function works but doesn't unlock the door when pulled, it doesn't release the latch. I swapped parts from rear door handle to the front one, I found that the front door handle module makes either handle stop working, but when I use the module from the rear handle, both handles extend and retract just fine, also extend when pushed, etc. Next I tried the Door Control Unit from the right side passenger door, nothing changed, even tried the door latch from the passenger door but the pins seem to be in different places and I assume that's why it didn't work. I also moved the grummet that covers the wiring going in the driver's door, inspected the wires, pulled a bit on them, I did not find any broken wires, also removed the door sill and inspected the wires there, didn't find anything there either. Going into service mode shows the drivers door handle as unknown, and the rear driver side handle shows the generation, but there is no handle connected in the back, after several restarts pushing the scroll wheels and checking 24h later, it seems to still show generation on the back and unknown in front, no door handle connected to either door. I had an active alert in service mode that wasn't there before (ESP_d133_acmVsSignalPlaus), it went away at some point after plugging stuff back in the driver's door. Currently everything works except opening my door when pulling the front left door handle, and when I walk up to the car from the RIGHT side it doesn't unlock, I have to push the right door handle/double tap the key fob and then the mirrors extend and the door handles too, that was not the case before all this happened, I'm not sure if I changed that setting while testing, but when I walk up to the car from the left side, the mirrors extend automatically as they did before.

Attachments

• 20240129_172258.jpg
    20240129_172258.jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 20240129_153451.jpg
    20240129_153451.jpg
    363.8 KB · Views: 17