Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 door handle fix questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2020 Model S and the driver front door handle has been acting up the past few days. It was beeping and moving in/out erratically and then popping open the door automatically after closing.

Currently it is stuck out about half an inch and it doesn’t make any noises. I can pull the handle out manually but the door will not open so I have to climb in through the passenger side to get in.

I have been researching this problem and I’m contemplating trying to fix it myself and I have some questions…

1. How much does Tesla typically charge for the repair?
2. Is the problem typically something in the door handle assembly or the door handle control module?
3. Are the door handle assemblies the same for front and back? I’m seeing the same part numbers (1100299-00-A) but also “LF”, “LR”, “RF”, “RR” markings
4. Are the door handle control modules unique for each door? I’m seeing mostly part number 1069651-00-D.

I’m thinking to order the parts and have them on hand before opening up the door so I don’t have to open up and put back the door multiple times.

Attachments

• IMG_2805.jpeg
    IMG_2805.jpeg
    175.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2806.jpeg
    IMG_2806.jpeg
    297.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2807.jpeg
    IMG_2807.jpeg
    922.2 KB · Views: 7
I just ran calibration on the door handle and it moved all the way out then went back in about halfway and stopped and the calibration failed. I tried it several times but it always did the same thing. I am able to push it back in all the way manually. The door will still not open when I pull on the handle manually.

I swapped the driver rear module with the driver front module and then I did a calibration and it gave an error: "Failed to communicate with the door handle controller. Ensure it is correctly connected and try again" I tried replugging several times but I'm always getting that error. If I swap the modules back I get the origianl error of "DHRD calibration failed. Handle stalled too early while presenting or retracting. Make sure there is no obstacle on the handle's path as it moves". I confirmed the part numbers were the same for both modules (1069651-00-D). I'm really confused as to why I get that "Failed to communicate..." error assuming the modules are the same part.

I ended up buying an oem door handle assembly on eBay for $200 and I just got done with the repair. I don’t see anything obviously wrong with the old one except for some rust on the gears. I’ll try to figure out the root cause of the failure later.

The repair was not that bad. I followed the video below which was really helpful!!

Attachments

• IMG_2841.jpeg
    IMG_2841.jpeg
    693.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2840.jpeg
    IMG_2840.jpeg
    607.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2839.jpeg
    IMG_2839.jpeg
    710.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2838.jpeg
    IMG_2838.jpeg