Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

removed door panel closed door can not open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
while trying to find and fix an issue with passenger side door controls, I removed my front passenger inside door panel, disconnected it, and set it aside.

I then closed the door (thinking I could open it from the inside with the inside handle wire cable). Now I can't open the door.

the outside door handles do not present (one of the issues I was trying to fix).

this is a 2015 Model S.

any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, I had difficulties to inderstand how can’t you open the door manually? On Model S they are manually operated as well electrically. There is shiny metal cable from the handle inside to the latch on the door. If you removed the door panel then you must have removed the cable from the panel. Just pull it (even by hand will do) and it should open. On rear doors the manual cable end is hided behind floor carpet at the very front edge of rear seat, right where the side passenger heels are. To open the rear doors manually you need to pull that cable towards the other side of the vehicle.

edit: you can close the door if the outer handle is removed (for weather protection), that cable will allow to open if needed…

It's the one that's in the middle. YouTube has plenty on the doors, your paddle gear probably broke.

Attachments

• IMG_20240315_120944744.jpg
    IMG_20240315_120944744.jpg
    373.2 KB · Views: 15
I am able to pull on the metal cable to open the door from the inside. So at least there's that.
After inspecting the wiring, I don't see any breaks (of course, I could just not be seeing it)

When I do open the door by pulling the cable, the window does the roll down partial to clear the seal. And when I close the door, window moves back up into seal to close all the way.

I've ordered a used door control unit from ebay that has the same part number. It should be here in a couple days.

in the mean time, my driver's side handles stay out / extended / presented. handles will not retract (ugh)

driver's side mirror will fold / unfold. but not passenger side.

i've reset several times with steering wheel buttons. I've done "power off" vehicle. I've moved the car in and out of the garage.

hopefully swapping out the door control unit will resolve.

I've ordered a used door control unit from ebay that has the same part number. It should be here in a couple days.

hopefully swapping out the door control unit will resolve.
If you succeed to swap it then remember, you also need to upload current SW again to reset the “new to car” unit to be known by the system. There is dedicated section in the Service menu for this.

Reactions: dedicatedtek
I received the replacement unit. I physically installed / swapped it, plugged in all the wires.
Then went to the Service - Software Install, and I see 4 options: FULL, CAN ECU, DAS, and IC.

I'm sure it's not IC, but would it be CAN ECU or DAS ? Or should I do FULL (i'm guessing this would wipe all my settings) ?

(I think DAS might mean 'Driver Assist' ??)

thanks.
tes_soft_inst_CANECU.jpg

tes_soft_inst_DAS.jpg

This is the section in the manual that I referred to (see photo). If under the service menu was only “Software Install” option then I would use that CAN ECU option. My point for two option was either partial or full install. Havent yet preformed this myself but will need in near future to get rear passenger side handle to work.

7C4797BB-E90D-43AF-B6B9-175AF46A5AE8.jpeg

p.s. it seems you have leaking MCU, right?

Your car might be in that download limbo if the internal memory of the MCU is full. I had this too, I got the recall done and during that fix Tesla had similar issues to upload new map update to the car. Eventually I had to bring the car to service twice to fix that. They made internal change for the navigation database and added external card reader. so all my navigation data is currently stored out of the MCU.
Have you tried to make the hard restart by disconnecting that Fireman’s loop and 12V in the frunk? It might help to disregard that continues downloading and you can get the installation going. Can’t say for sure but worth to try. Before that have you cleaned up your navigation history?

My MCU recall was done awhile ago. I thought about disconnecting the 12v, but at this point, I've just put in a call for service. They've scheduled it about 2 weeks out (soonest available at the closest service center). Thanks for your help and suggestions. I will update this thread when something changes or after service.

Reactions: KalJoMoS