Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recent issues with my 2016 Model S (trunk latch, door handle present)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Low mileage (28,000 miles) 2016 Model S with zero issues until a month ago (no extended warranty).

First issue was my trunk stopped opening/closing. I had Tesla mobile service replace the power strut but that did not fix it, so I scheduled an appointment at the closest service center. They first replaced the cinch latch and that did not fix it, so they went on to the next step which was to replace the wiring harness. That also did not fix it so they wanted to replace something called a BCM. By then the bill was nearly $2500 so I wasn't happy, plus they had my car for 12 days. The did say that they would look at reducing the labor and reinstall the old wiring harness to reduce the bill. Before they BCM part came in, I got a call saying my car was fixed. The fix was to install another new cinch latch, and it worked (so the first new cinch latch they installed was bad!). They also reduced the total bill to around $650, which I thought was still too much considering that was all they really needed to do from the beginning.

My 2nd issue is a door handle (left rear) hasn't been presenting for a 4-5months. Not a big deal since the other 3 worked fine and we rarely need to use the back doors. I read enough in these forums to know the motors have been known to fail. What's surprising is that 2 days ago, this door handle suddenly started presenting! Over those past 2 days, sometimes it doesn't retract even after I drive, but most of the times it does. So it seems like the motor is functioning, but getting stuck. Any advice on this and how to fix it will be greatly appreciated (I tend to attempt to fix things myself, but Tesla told me if I replace the motor, it will not work unless they do some reprogramming).

I still love my MS and having those 2 minor issues after 7 years of driving is pretty amazing. I just hope nothing else shows up anytime soon. What are some of the other common issues in a 7 year old MS?

@Apropos
Impressive milage for a 2016 S I must say! :)

Repairs can be expensive out of warranty so I wanted to let you know XCare can assist in the future. We offer warranties for 10 years old or newer models and under 125,000 miles. Check us out for extended warranty options so you don't have to have these costly experiences in the future.

Happy driving!
-XCare Team

Upvote 0
To the OP, do get that door handle replaced. The replacement is a better design. If you don't it will only ever be intermittent when it feels like it.
To X care, do you cover cars in the UK and is that 10 years a hard limit (9.5 years now), on around 80,000 miles so well within your mileage limit.

Upvote 0
Low mileage (28,000 miles) 2016 Model S with zero issues until a month ago (no extended warranty).

First issue was my trunk stopped opening/closing. I had Tesla mobile service replace the power strut but that did not fix it, so I scheduled an appointment at the closest service center. They first replaced the cinch latch and that did not fix it, so they went on to the next step which was to replace the wiring harness. That also did not fix it so they wanted to replace something called a BCM. By then the bill was nearly $2500 so I wasn't happy, plus they had my car for 12 days. The did say that they would look at reducing the labor and reinstall the old wiring harness to reduce the bill. Before they BCM part came in, I got a call saying my car was fixed. The fix was to install another new cinch latch, and it worked (so the first new cinch latch they installed was bad!). They also reduced the total bill to around $650, which I thought was still too much considering that was all they really needed to do from the beginning.

My 2nd issue is a door handle (left rear) hasn't been presenting for a 4-5months. Not a big deal since the other 3 worked fine and we rarely need to use the back doors. I read enough in these forums to know the motors have been known to fail. What's surprising is that 2 days ago, this door handle suddenly started presenting! Over those past 2 days, sometimes it doesn't retract even after I drive, but most of the times it does. So it seems like the motor is functioning, but getting stuck. Any advice on this and how to fix it will be greatly appreciated (I tend to attempt to fix things myself, but Tesla told me if I replace the motor, it will not work unless they do some reprogramming).

I still love my MS and having those 2 minor issues after 7 years of driving is pretty amazing. I just hope nothing else shows up anytime soon. What are some of the other common issues in a 7 year old MS?

I had my trunk cinch latch replaced by Tesla to fix a similar issue. Was it beeping and not opening?

Depending on what the issue is with your rear door handle, you could just need a new parts kit with the sensors -or- you could be surprised what you find when you open it up. I ended up buying a complete assembly online and installing the parts kit on that one before installing it.

Attachments

• 1695685940144.JPEG
    1695685940144.JPEG
    519.7 KB · Views: 86
  • 1695685939355.JPEG
    1695685939355.JPEG
    411.9 KB · Views: 53
  • Funny
Reactions: Gtech
Upvote 0
I had my trunk cinch latch replaced by Tesla to fix a similar issue. Was it beeping and not opening?

Depending on what the issue is with your rear door handle, you could just need a new parts kit with the sensors -or- you could be surprised what you find when you open it up. I ended up buying a complete assembly online and installing the parts kit on that one before installing it.
Yes, was beeping but not opening or closing. Funny thing with my rear door handle not presenting--a few days after making my original post, I was cleaning the back seats leather and opened the rear left door from the inside. Ever since, that door handle is presenting as normal! Happy, but puzzled! This tells me there are no broken parts (micro switch, gear, etc) but it somehow got in a bad state where it wouldn't present and opening the door from the inside somehow reset it to a good state. How is that possible?

How much did a complete assembly cost? That seems like a very unusual failure mode.

Upvote 0
To the OP, do get that door handle replaced. The replacement is a better design. If you don't it will only ever be intermittent when it feels like it.
To X care, do you cover cars in the UK and is that 10 years a hard limit (9.5 years now), on around 80,000 miles so well within your mileage limit.
I opened the rear door from the inside and all the sudden that handle presents. At first it acted funny by presenting but not retracting, then eventually it presented and retracted as normal. Can't explain it so keeping my fingers crossed that it keeps working. Can anyone explain how this could happen? One thing for sure, there are no broken parts (micro switch, gears).

Upvote 0
My apologies- I didn't realize you were located in the UK... At this time we do not cover cars there. But maybe in the future :).

• Informative
Reactions: Big Dunc
Upvote 0
I opened the rear door from the inside and all the sudden that handle presents. At first it acted funny by presenting but not retracting, then eventually it presented and retracted as normal. Can't explain it so keeping my fingers crossed that it keeps working. Can anyone explain how this could happen? One thing for sure, there are no broken parts (micro switch, gears).
The wire is just making contact. The reason it did not work was most likely because it wasn't. The long term answer is for a new handle of the improved design.

Upvote 0
@Apropos
Impressive milage for a 2016 S I must say! :)

Repairs can be expensive out of warranty so I wanted to let you know XCare can assist in the future. We offer warranties for 10 years old or newer models and under 125,000 miles. Check us out for extended warranty options so you don't have to have these costly experiences in the future.

Happy driving!
-XCare Team
I'm interested and want to find out more, but haven't heard back since filling out a request form...

Upvote 0