Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model S LR tire/road noise on wet roads

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any refreshed Model S owners noticed a howling noise when driving on wet roads? It sounds very much like wind noise, and I initially thought it was coming from the rubber seal. But later I noticed it was only audible when I was driving on wet roads. As soon as the speeds exceeds 30 mph on a wet road, it started to howl as if the window was rolled all the way up. As soon as the car leaves the wet zone the howling noise disappeared immediately. All that was left was normal wind turbulence.

My guess is that it was caused by the spinning wheel spraying water onto the wheel well, but I'm not sure, and I can't find anyone on the forum talking about this. Maybe sound dampening on the wheel well is the solution? Speaking of which, I noticed that the rear wheel wells are covered by a fabric-like material, whereas the front ones are just black plastic.

Checked a few demo vehicles at the showroom. It appears that they all had plastic on the front, and fabric/felt material on the rear
As soon as the speeds exceeded 30 mph on a wet road, it started to howl as if the window was rolled all the way up. As soon as the car left the wet zone the howling noise disappeared immediately. All that was left was normal wind turbulence.
typo: the howling noise sounded like the window wasn't fully rolled up.