Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model S Road Noise?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s wrong, but it’s way down on the list of priorities for Tesla to fix on the Model S.

Warped windshields, rear hatch misaligned that cause SC to remove the rear window glass to fix, unusual amount of gear whine, premature inner rear tire wear, etc are all way above this lose padding issue. The padding was the easiest production issue for me to fix by far.

So if they don’t care about those major issues, it is confirmed they will likely never care about this padding.
Any good instructions on how to fix the padding? By rights I know I should just have the service center fix it, but with them being a hundred miles away, I’d rather just fix it myself if it’s actually an easy process

I have a December 2014 P85D and it has always been noisy inside the cab and that is from the tires. The Michelin Pilot Sports were the worst. The Continentals are much quieter, but overall the car is much, much noisier than my 3-series BMW. I want a new Model S, but I'm thinking that after 8 years of an EV I might have to go back to a gas car and that is extremely disappointing. I like the EV ride and torque and all that, but I want a ride where I can listen to the radio when I'm driving on the highway. The car is just too noisy. I had heard the new Model S was quiet, but after reading the forums, I don't know.

I have a December 2014 P85D and it has always been noisy inside the cab and that is from the tires. The Michelin Pilot Sports were the worst. The Continentals are much quieter, but overall the car is much, much noisier than my 3-series BMW. I want a new Model S, but I'm thinking that after 8 years of an EV I might have to go back to a gas car and that is extremely disappointing. I like the EV ride and torque and all that, but I want a ride where I can listen to the radio when I'm driving on the highway. The car is just too noisy. I had heard the new Model S was quiet, but after reading the forums, I don't know.

No, the new Model S is not quiet. I just bought a 2019 Jaguar XJL Supercharged V8 to replace my 2023 Model S, and WOW! It's so nice to be back in a true luxury sports sedan! It's so quiet during cruising and the V8 makes a glorious growl on hard acceleration. And it's a 1000X better overall ride with still great handling. I could never imagine going back to the Model S, which will be gone very soon, and no more Tesla's for me forever. That was a very painful and expensive lesson.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gpa9504
No, the new Model S is not quiet. I just bought a 2019 Jaguar XJL Supercharged V8 to replace my Model S, and WOW! It's so nice to be back in a true luxury sports sedan! It's so nice and quiet and a 1000X better overall ride with still great handling. I could never imagine going back to the Model S, which will be gone very soon, and no more Tesla's for me forever.
I know your model s soured you quite a bit, but I can't imagine buying a Jaguar and hoping for a more trouble free experience.

I know your model s soured you quite a bit, but I can't imagine buying a Jaguar and hoping for a more trouble free experience.

Well, try harder with your imagination. I have owned 6 Jaguar and Land Rover vehicles with high mileage and older, and they have all been more reliable than my 8 month old Model S with only 5K miles, by a long shot!

• Informative
Reactions: Gpa9504 and David29

Well, Tesla test drives were free last time I checked, and they often let you keep the car overnight. I'd try it on your regular roads and see what you think.

Sorry, but possibly a bit more road noise is a very, very small price to pay to leave a usable planet for future generations, no?

Afterall, the vast majority of the planet's ignorants (who number in the billions) are still very easily fooled by the few dollars spent by the fossil fuel industry to make them believe there's no need to worry--KEEP BUYING FOSSIL FUELS is their message, but delivered in far more subtle ways so as to keep the $600,000,000 PER DAY in daily profits coming for JUST the Top 6 western oil co's:

For the global fossils, the cash flow is even more mind blowing: just under $11 BILLION dollars EVERY SINGLE DAY:

Well, Tesla test drives were free last time I checked, and they often let you keep the car overnight. I'd try it on your regular roads and see what you think.

Sorry, but possibly a bit more road noise is a very, very small price to pay to leave a usable planet for future generations, no?

Afterall, the vast majority of the planet's ignorants (who number in the billions) are still very easily fooled by the few dollars spent by the fossil fuel industry to make them believe there's no need to worry--KEEP BUYING FOSSIL FUELS is their message, but delivered in far more subtle ways so as to keep the $600,000,000 PER DAY in daily profits coming for JUST the Top 6 western oil co's:

For the global fossils, the cash flow is even more mind blowing: just under $11 BILLION dollars EVERY SINGLE DAY:

You're so brainwashed.

Reactions: MarkoP and teko
You're so brainwashed.
Not sure if you're serious, but with billions so easily fooled, let us assume you're not, especially as GHG-spewing car is just fine according to some here.

It's all those pesky scientists making this stuff up right? They're all lying to secure government grants--yes, it's part of the Hillary Clinton, George Soros, and Al Gore evil plan, conspiring with those millions of corrupt scientist to "take away 'Mericun Freedoms!"

Why are so many, so easily fooled, by so few, with so very, very little? If only our entire planet's future didn't rest on the grand foolishness and stupidity of the masses, if only . . . .

Hence, the CRITICAL IMPORTANCE of those that have more than a box of rocks between their ears: YOU, and our peers, must carry the load for the billions of ignorants among us. If the intelligent and educated don't actually ACT, just who do you think will?!?

Read it and weep:

And:

And:

and too many more to post . . . .

• Disagree
Reactions: teko
Not sure if you're serious, but with billions so easily fooled, let us assume you're not, especially as GHG-spewing car is just fine according to some here.

It's all those pesky scientists making this stuff up right? They're all lying to secure government grants--yes, it's part of the Hillary Clinton, George Soros, and Al Gore evil plan, conspiring with those millions of corrupt scientist to "take away 'Mericun Freedoms!"

Why are so many, so easily fooled, by so few, with so very, very little? If only our entire planet's future didn't rest on the grand foolishness and stupidity of the masses, if only . . . .

Hence, the CRITICAL IMPORTANCE of those that have more than a box of rocks between their ears: YOU, and our peers, must carry the load for the billions of ignorants among us. If the intelligent and educated don't actually ACT, just who do you think will?!?

Read it and weep:

And:

And:

You’re never going to convince the masses to change their lifestyle for the worse for a problem as distant as climate change. We recently had a much more imminent threat with COVID, and even that people were unwilling to make even tiny sacrifices.

The way to enact meaningful change is to convince people that the new way will make their lives better. Tesla was pretty good with that initially. It didn’t matter that their cars were green. The cars were just cool. I bought my model 3 and now model S not because I’m particularly worked up about climate change. I bought them because they made my life more convenient, made gobs of torque, and had cool tech. In fact I’d have no qualms going back to a gas car if I thought they’d be better for my use case.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
You’re never going to convince the masses to change their lifestyle for the worse for a problem as distant as climate change. We recently had a much more imminent threat with COVID, and even that people were unwilling to make even tiny sacrifices.

The way to enact meaningful change is to convince people that the new way will make their lives better. Tesla was pretty good with that initially. It didn’t matter that their cars were green. The cars were just cool. I bought my model 3 and now model S not because I’m particularly worked up about climate change. I bought them because they made my life more convenient, made gobs of torque, and had cool tech. In fact I’d have no qualms going back to a gas car if I thought they’d be better for my use case.
That’s the “it’s all about me” position. Luckily there are others willing to consider beyond their selfish personal interest.

That’s the “it’s all about me” position. Luckily there are others willing to consider beyond their selfish personal interest.
Like I said, you’ll never make a meaningful change by expecting the general population to make personal sacrifice. That’s just not human nature. You can try to shame people all you want, but you won’t accomplish anything other than blowing hot air into the wind.

Read it and weep:

And:

And:

Thanks for your confirmation biased research. So helpful.

People always talk about how much quieter the model s is than the model 3. Is that not the case? It’s one of the the main I’m considering the model s. If they are both loud I mine as well save my money and get the model 3. Are y’all driving on arachnids or something or is this noise on the 19 inch wheels?

People always talk about how much quieter the model s is than the model 3. Is that not the case? It’s one of the the main I’m considering the model s. If they are both loud I mine as well save my money and get the model 3. Are y’all driving on arachnids or something or is this noise on the 19 inch wheels?
The model s is significantly quieter than the 3.

I don't have any other year or model to compare to, but my 2022 Model S with Pirelli tires is quiet, I've never given it a second thought.

Reactions: Yelobird