Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model S Road Noise?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update: Service checked out my car today, and didn't find any issues. Apparently the Continental tires on my new car are noisier than the Michelins on my previous cars. I took two test drives with two different technicians, and then drove a comparable loaner with the same tires, and didn't find it to be any quieter than mine. In addition to the different tire brand, I was told the 19" tires on the new S are wider than those on my previous S, which can contribute to added noise.

It's not a big enough deal that I would replace the tires at my own expense, but it's a little disappointing. If you're installing new tires on your S or X, I recommend choosing something other than the Continental ProContact.

Update: Service checked out my car today, and didn't find any issues. Apparently the Continental tires on my new car are noisier than the Michelins on my previous cars. I took two test drives with two different technicians, and then drove a comparable loaner with the same tires, and didn't find it to be any quieter than mine. In addition to the different tire brand, I was told the 19" tires on the new S are wider than those on my previous S, which can contribute to added noise.

It's not a big enough deal that I would replace the tires at my own expense, but it's a little disappointing. If you're installing new tires on your S or X, I recommend choosing something other than the Continental ProContact.
Please describe the noise. There are a few known issues, including adjusting the rear hatch, that can make MAJOR impacts on noise. Is the noise more noticeable while driving over rough pavement, is it "rhythmic", what frequency does it appear to be at? etc.

You can see the item in question in my DIY video for aligning the front panels starting @1:22

Yep, those are the pads. Excellent video--is there a "Before" video to show us what your new brand new MS looked like before your do-it-yourself rebuild?

The NAP's are easily visible when you open the frunk and look into the REAR wall of the front fenders with a bright flashlight. In every case, with all of the SIX new MS's I've examined over the past year+, they've been loose, flopping around inside the fenders.

How this continues after over a year of multiple requests at more than one SC to get this Fremont problem fixed is just hard to believe. Perhaps it's related to the legalization of pot in CA? Or do the Tesla Team members at Fremont just not give a damn?

Thanks very much. I assume you must get to those behind the wheel liners then. Not sure where to stick the things if they are loose!

I have a fully equipped garage with tools and jacks, so no problem for me to jack the car up, take the wheels off and remove the wheel liners to do the work.

You could do it from the top with some ingenuity and persistence, and some have done it that way.

If you take the wheel liners off, it's very simple to affix the pads into place with a little adhesive, and very obvious how the pads fit into their space.

Last edited:
Please describe the noise. There are a few known issues, including adjusting the rear hatch, that can make MAJOR impacts on noise. Is the noise more noticeable while driving over rough pavement, is it "rhythmic", what frequency does it appear to be at? etc.
The noise varies depending on the pavement, not rhythmic, comparable to the road noise from my wife’s Model 3. Since the other S I drove was just as noisy, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the car.

Louder or the same with the rear seats upon or down?

I have a loaner (s75) and know the sounds my 2023 s made as well as compared to a few others. the refresh is *FAR* quieter than the previous model years, and not by a slight amount. That being said there are a number of specific issues that need better descriptions to figure out. So far the complaint you have made is very general, if you want good solid help on this I recommend being highly descriptive on the noise, when it occurs, frequency, and where it sounds like it is coming from.

Could be front hood, rear hatch, doors, wheel wells, the foam inserts mentioned previously, improperly torqued suspension, tire noise, and on and on and on. None of which should be happening on a new car, but...

Which tires? Again, lack of detail.

I know you are going to not worry about it, but when it does strike you later that it is annoying you may want to consider that people who want to help cannot due to the lack of communication. We are not in your car and cannot read your mind. If you change your mind, please post up more info and I am sure you can get some better responses. 2023 is worlds more quiet than pre-refresh.

Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Which tires? Again, lack of detail.

I know you are going to not worry about it, but when it does strike you later that it is annoying you may want to consider that people who want to help cannot due to the lack of communication. We are not in your car and cannot read your mind. If you change your mind, please post up more info and I am sure you can get some better responses. 2023 is worlds more quiet than pre-refresh.

Less coffee for you.

As I mentioned earlier, the tires are Continental ProContact RX TI on 19” wheels. My previous 2018 Model S had Michelins, also on 19” wheels. More details in my OP.
Please take a look inside your front fenders with a bright flashlight and let us know the status of your noise absorption pads.

instructions in earlier post, but all you have to do is open your frunk.

Thanks.

Please take a look inside your front fenders with a bright flashlight and let us know the status of your noise absorption pads.

instructions in earlier post, but all you have to do is open your frunk.

Thanks.
I've attached photos of what I see inside the front fenders behind the tires. Looks fine to me, but I don't know what opening the frunk accomplishes, so maybe I'm looking at the wrong thing?

IMG_4269.jpeg
IMG_4270.jpeg

I've attached photos of what I see inside the front fenders behind the tires. Looks fine to me, but I don't know what opening the frunk accomplishes, so maybe I'm looking at the wrong thing?

View attachment 942414View attachment 942416
I think we have to look from the inside of frunk, behind the wheel well. Not sure what can be seen with flash light.

Reactions: idealsol
I think we have to look from the inside of frunk, behind the wheel well. Not sure what can be seen with flash light.
I assume you mean you have to remove the frunk liner. How do you do that? The instructions posted by @TSLA Pilot didn’t mention that, and I’m not really a DIY guy. I also watched the video that was posted earlier that showed the foam pieces, but everything was already taken apart.

I assume you mean you have to remove the frunk liner. How do you do that? The instructions posted by @TSLA Pilot didn’t mention that, and I’m not really a DIY guy. I also watched the video that was posted earlier that showed the foam pieces, but everything was already taken apart.
I think the idea is to use bright flashlight and look down this open slot. You can lift up the plastic trim a bit. I haven’t tried yet but seems like you can see behind wheel well.

IMG_1317.jpeg

Front tires, rear tires, left tires, right tires. Is the sound more vibrational, does it seem connected to the movement of the suspension. Is it louder in the back than the front. is it a whooshing type noise, or a booming type noise.

I know you are trying, but again this is like asking my little one "Are you ok?" "kinda" "is something the matter?" "no, not really." "what's wrong?" "Nothing, it just itches." "What itches?" "I itch" "where?" "my leg". "which leg?" "my right one" "where on your leg?" etc etc... 3 hours later you find a bug bite that she didnt think was an issue on the back of her left leg. (true story bro, yes I know, left)

I know you understand your experience but reading what you are writing is telling us 5% of the detail required and I think you are being led down the wrong path, potentially. I love the discussion around the issues others have found in their cars like the foam flopping around, as it corroborates what I've heard from others. That being said I doubt it will be speicifically useful in this situation.

I'd recommend re-reading what you wrote from the point of view of someone who really wants to help and see if you can get enough information to place where the issue might lie. I bet you will discover more information is required.

yblue: most of the Tesla official tires have the foam and other inserts. In general the model s tires are very quiet until they get about 1/2 way through the threads then they become increasingly loud until they need to be replaced. Normal for most tires as the grooves get worn down and air movement, hardness and the like conspire to make a noisy system.

Reactions: Skateboardgolf