Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GEN III - When will we see the first prototype

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope that Tesla does not waste their time and resources on a convertible, They should be working towards bigger markets - not smaller.

No Tesla should be 100% focused on manufacturing, and quality control, if they can't get this right then all the models in the world won't help them. Once they ramp up their line, and work out all the gremlins they should work or more sales.

I personally think there may be 1 or 2 more 'S' platform cars before we see a production Gen III. The Gen III may be announced before, but a 'S' van, truck, or convertible (or even a true S wagon) would be much easier for Tesla to produce than a whole new car.

No Tesla should be 100% focused on manufacturing, and quality control, if they can't get this right then all the models in the world won't help them. Once they ramp up their line, and work out all the gremlins they should work or more sales.

You make a good point, but a design team is a design team. It's unlikely you can switch them to manufacturing. It's also unlikely you would let them go during a quiet time. So even though most of the company is focused on manufacturing and quality control, the design team should still be working hard on the next big project. The Gen III platform will be a lot more complex than just a smaller Model S platform. It will certainly be along those lines but you only have to look at how tight the Model S's pieces fit into its platform to realize that it will take a lot of work to effectively put all the same pieces into something much smaller.

I personally think there may be 1 or 2 more 'S' platform cars before we see a production Gen III. The Gen III may be announced before, but a 'S' van, truck, or convertible (or even a true S wagon) would be much easier for Tesla to produce than a whole new car.

I think there is a possibility of one more S type vehicle prior to the Bluestar for the reason you mentioned. Other S type vehicles will also likely appear but I'd expect them after the Bluestar unless Tesla gets some kind of pre-order.

I hope we don't see a prototype before they are sure to be able to deliver a GenIII with 300 miles of range at a $ 30 000 price. If it's going to be a massmarket car, well the customers won't accept less.

Mod Note: as this post sparked a line of discussion relating to costs and range, it has been copied to Gen III Range Pricing Speculation while also being preserved here as it also touches on timeline.

Last edited by a moderator:
but then those spending $80K for a Model S will be a little upset that a $30K car gets just as much range as they do... 10 years from now maybe...but 2 or 3 years later? No way.

I don't see why. I'd have to be a pretty dumb bunny to not realize that as soon as I purchase any technology product in two or three years it will either be much better and cheaper or way better and the same price. What I'm paying for is the ability to have it now. It's really no different that getting a Signature.

I suspect the same, but would imagine they might scale it down to maybe 14-15". Can't see them completely eliminating it -- especially since I doubt it's a very expensive component of the total package.

I 100% agree. In fact I bet the 'screen' will end up costing Tesla less than traditional dashboards sometime during their 3rd model. It is a lot easier to program buttons, knobs, and switches than to do them physically.

We already have a bluestar styling thread.

Indeed. I've taken a number of posts from this thread (got it from 12 pages to 3) and moved them to the relevant threads below. Some posts were copied as they were still somewhat relevant to this thread, or fit in more than one thread. Hopefully I did not miss anything or go too heavy handed -- it was a number of posts and got a bit unwieldy pushing to 3 different threads.

Posts moved to:

From here on out, let's try to keep this particular thread about the timeline for seeing the Gen III prototype.

Last edited by a moderator:
Curious, who/where did you hear that (from)?

I may have posted it n this thread, not sure, but there was an article where someone, JB maybe?, was talking about Gen III and said they'd be ready to talk about/show that around this time next year" Article was a month or two back.

*edit* here's my post: http://www.TeslaMotorsClub.com/showpost.php?p=142649

JB maybe?, was talking about Gen III and said they'd be ready to talk about/show that around this time next year article was a month or two back.

I think the idea of a new design/platform prototype shown two years before production seems about right. At one year they show an alpha prototype and at six months they have a beta ride along event. For new designs based on an existing platform (like the X) a one year timetable makes sense.

I may have posted it n this thread, not sure, but there was an article where someone, JB maybe?, was talking about Gen III and said they'd be ready to talk about/show that around this time next year" Article was a month or two back.

*edit* here's my post: GEN III - When will we see the first prototype

This is the quote from the article:

“We will have another sportscar, definitely,” he said.

“At the moment we’re concentrating on the Model S and Model X, of course, but in 12 months we will be ready to talk about the third model.

“Maybe it will be the sportscar, or maybe we’ll slip another model in before it, so it should be 2015 or 2016.”

Now I don't think the large-volume, more affordable Gen III (Bluestar) would be something that you just "slip in", as it requires large manufacturing installations. Perhaps he was thinking more about a convertible or so. I'd doubt that the same timeline (for showing a prototype) would automatically apply to the large-volume Gen III, even though Elon at some point this year said they are pulling it ahead to be the next car, as battery developments gave him the confidence to do so.

This is the quote from the article:

Now I don't think the large-volume, more affordable Gen III (Bluestar) would be something that you just "slip in", as it requires large manufacturing installations. Perhaps he was thinking more about a convertible or so. I'd doubt that the same timeline (for showing a prototype) would automatically apply to the large-volume Gen III, even though Elon at some point this year said they are pulling it ahead to be the next car, as battery developments gave him the confidence to do so.

I think by "slip in" he meant that Gen3 might come before a new sports car or Roadster.