Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Visiting Austria - "must see" recommendation when travelling by car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

arcus

Aug 11, 2017
Denton, TX
Greetings,

We are visiting Europe in June and planning to rent a Tesla. We're very familiar with Vienna and Salzburg (been there numerous times), but we've never used a car, just a public transport and our own legs to get by (which works great in these cities!). Since we are going to have a car, I was wondering if there are any "must see" recommendations?

We still plan to stay in Vienna (multiple days) and pass by Salzburg (coming from Schwangau in Germany). Couple of interest points we have in mind would include Hangar-7 in Salzburg and Red Bull Ring in Spielberg, but other than that the schedule is flexible. Looking for picturesque/scenic routes or detours, mountain overlooks etc. Any hints or tips would be appreciated.

P.S. I have tagged Tesla Club Austria on X, but I haven't received any response yet. Original post here:

A follow up question regarding parking in Vienna. Seems like ditching the car when in the city and using public transport is still the best option to get around. If I use Park and Ride facility, how does level 2 charging work? Is it included in the daily fee or is it an extra charge? I could only find some brief info that EV charging at P&R facilities is provided by Tanke Wien Energie, so I assume it is charged separately. What are the typical rates to expect?

We will most likely stay for 3 nights in Vienna, so I am not concerned about having the car constantly plugged in to avoid excessive drain. Probably one of the days/night will hook it up, then unplug and repark to avoid blocking the charging spot (and excessive fees).

Re Tesla Club Austria drop a note to [email protected] . Bernd Donner is in charge and happy to help you. At the moment they are preparing for the Tesla Takeover in Flachau (Salzburg) end of may.
In Vienna parking is limited to 2 hours everywhere outside of parking lots. There are charging stations in parking lots, operated by Wien Energie, you will be charged on top of the parking fee. The kWh costs 46 - 80 cent, depending on the time of day (cheaper from 10:00 at night to 8:00 in the morning) and contract. It is best (and cheapest) to charge your Tesla at the V3 charger in 22nd district (Kagran).
When you download the app "Westfield" you have 3 hours free parking in "Donauzentrum", where chargers of Wien Energie are located. Donauzentrum ist also a U1 (tube) station and you will be in the center of Vienna in 12 minutes by tube.

On your way from Salzburg to Vienna you might want to visit "Wachau" and the villages of Spitz and Dürnstein. Driving through Wachau near the Danube to Krems is a scenic route. At the entry of Wachau is the monestery of Maria Taferl in case you are interested in historic objects.

Last edited:
Thank you very much! I figured the club will be busy prepping for the takeover :) Too bad can't be there during that time, I've seen the previous adventures and I'm envious!

Thanks for the charging tips. I am using A Better Route Planner to help with navigation and it also suggested the Kagran supercharger along the way. Will give Westfield a go as well, just in case.

We're most likely stay close to Westbahnhof, park the car in one of P+R locations and use public transport (as always) so we don't need to worry about where to park downtown.

Wachau is beautiful, indeed. Did Vienna to Passau along Danube on a bicycle many moons back and we stopped in many of the villages along the way. Took a river cruise from Melk to Dürnstein last time we visited Austria and we loved it.

I think I have some good pointers for the trip. I'll reach out to the club if I need more help.

Again, thanks a lot!