Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front Bumper Camera

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Given the (baseless) rumor around Model X getting a front bumper camera (a pretty significant update in my book as it gets us many steps closer to a true 360 view with practically no area left in the dark all around the car), would you wait to buy a Model X for this rumor to play out or not?

The Cyber truck has this front bumper camera, and personally, after seeing that, I would consider waiting to get any Tesla, not just X. But they could have just done this because the truck is just so high off the ground.

I would love to hear your thoughts. Many of us are secretly wishing for a 360 camera so if you’re that person, also love to see what you think. The showroom says that there’s 0 communication about this and they would be surprised if it actually happens in the near future.

Please be kind in your discussion and refrain from personal attacks.

Does the (newest) model 3 with HW4 and Tesla vision only, also has front bumper camera (with/without washer)? If not then i just don't see where this (baseless) rumor is sourced from. And if the front bumper camera do come out, then i also don't see how all the existing Telsa vision only customers are left out. Given Tesla seem to at least to me, care (???) about existing customers, eg. with HW3 (and FSD), i don't see how Tesla if they do come out with front facing camera to not have that as retrofit option at the service center (or possibly DIY). As for ambient lighting, i can care less about that, although have seen many folks do that as DIY. Just lots of panel/trim based work.

Incidentally, look at all those USS's (i count 12 USS's) that X lost, in favor of Tesla vision.

I "could" envision, some sort of class action if Tesla Vision does not deliver (in SW) on stuffs that are currently missing due to USS's removed. These missing stuffs would be IMHO on a whole different level than say the FSD that has been going on for years and years.

As for me, i am giving until end of April, but that's it, and i'm (re)submitting my reservation.

1712331582752.png

1712331779915.jpeg

1712331772459.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Does the (newest) model 3 with HW4 and Tesla vision only, also has front bumper camera (with/without washer)? If not then i just don't see where this (baseless) rumor is sourced from. And if the front bumper camera do come out, then i also don't see how all the existing Telsa vision only customers are left out. Given Tesla seem to at least to me, care (???) about existing customers, eg. with HW3 (and FSD), i don't see how Tesla if they do come out with front facing camera to not have that as retrofit option at the service center (or possibly DIY). As for ambient lighting, i can care less about that, although have seen many folks do that as DIY. Just lots of panel/trim based work.

Incidentally, look at all those USS's (i count 12 USS's) that X lost, in favor of Tesla vision.

I "could" envision, some sort of class action if Tesla Vision does not deliver (in SW) on stuffs that are currently missing due to USS's removed. These missing stuffs would be IMHO on a whole different level than say the FSD that has been going on for years and years.

As for me, i am giving until end of April, but that's it, and i'm (re)submitting my reservation.

View attachment 1035842

View attachment 1035847

View attachment 1035846
Well, the very reason I didn’t go with a Tesla two years ago when time came to upgrade my 3 was the removal of USS. Lens is a lens. Sensor is a sensor. Class action suits likely are not happening unfortunately so I won’t hold my breath. Wishful thinking, sure.

Even if they don’t add the sensors back but have the critical cameras installed around the car including the front bumper and if the whole system works “with a couple of exceptions” even, I’d be willing to return.

But currently, their entire front under nose area is in the dark. It doesn’t seem to bother millions of buyers, I get that. But the car I drive today has sensors radar and front rear cameras and with the RCTA and surround cameras, and parking sensors assisted by both USS and camera front and rear, it is objectively a superior system than Tesla when it comes to parking and backing out. When it comes to driving, the collision avoidance, FSD, sentry, etc. the Tesla vehicles are just amazing IMHO.

Upvote 0
Again, the "newest" M3 has no such. So i just don't see how older cars get in their refresh/retrofit, but the just released, newest offering do not. That, and that alone makes "me" think, it's not coming (yet). And "if" that does then i would have to think will happen across the board for "all" current Tesla vision only vehicles. Otherwise, yeah, i "could" envision a class action, especially if reports of Tesla Vision only (with stuffs in SW still missing) start to have increased reports of (safety) issues "on the road".

At least X has relatively a "shorter" front distance, and seats higher so i think that does help with gauging the front (???)

And yeah, my 2019 BMW X3 G01 M40i has all the cameras and USSs and radars glore... And so is the Odyssey, lol.

1712333666777.jpeg

1712333679463.jpeg

1712333704186.jpeg

1712333716775.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Again, the "newest" M3 has no such. So i just don't see how older cars get in their refresh/retrofit, but the just released, newest offering do not. That, and that alone makes "me" think, it's not coming (yet). And "if" that does then i would have to think will happen across the board for "all" current Tesla vision only vehicles. Otherwise, yeah, i "could" envision a class action, especially if reports of Tesla Vision only (with stuffs in SW still missing) start to have increased reports of (safety) issues "on the road".

At least X has relatively a "shorter" front distance, and seats higher so i think that does help with gauging the front (???)

And yeah, my 2019 BMW X3 G01 M40i has all the cameras and USSs and radars glore... And so is the Odyssey, lol.

View attachment 1035867
View attachment 1035868

View attachment 1035870

View attachment 1035871
Good point about the front bumper length.

Upvote 0
This is us. We have a 2023 MYLR and then added a F150 Lightning about 7 months later. The comfort of the Lightning is so nice, my wife wants something that has similar comfort, but she (we) love the Tesla. We actually use the third row in the MY at least once a month, so the Model X is the obvious answer.

With the X being bigger (a little at least) than the Y, the front bumper camera is an important feature. We don't "need" a car, so we are comfortable waiting. I am also hoping some of the new tech from the cybertruck makes it's way to S and X, but those are just hopes.

Also... we having attacked any stationary objects with the MY yet, but a front camera would just take all the questions out of pulling into and out of tight spaces.

I personally couldn't imagine parking my pavement princess (Lightning) without the 360 view. But.... that is a significantly larger vehicle. And yes... the truck's name is "Pavement Princess".

Reactions: youngmcdonald
Upvote 0
Not unusual to see forum posts, wanting to put off their purchase until the next rumored advancement is implemented. People want to wait for the better lighting, latest suspension, perforated/cooled seats, latest refresh, better batteries, etc.
This is normal FOMO behavior, and for some it means waiting forever.

Reactions: dsm363
Upvote 0
Not unusual to see forum posts, wanting to put off their purchase until the next rumored advancement is implemented. People want to wait for the better lighting, latest suspension, perforated/cooled seats, latest refresh, better batteries, etc.
This is normal FOMO behavior, and for some it means waiting forever.
Yes. Totally. However, a front bumper camera is a far more justified FOMO behavior than cooled seats or lighting I would think, as it is directly related to safety and automated driving enhancements, potentially - one of the major reasons to get an EV that is a Tesla besides native charging network superiority.

And given how quickly the older Teslas are perceived as ”legacy” (2021 is Legacy X and we are in Q1 24), I don’t think it’s an unreasonable behavior to wait for one or two features to justify the purchase that’s almost $100k.

Upvote 0
What exactly will the Front Camera display IF/WHEN implemented? Just a front view or will it be knitted to the other cameras for a Surround View?

Also given Tesla's All-In approach to Tesla Vision you'd think they would add a "few" more cameras to enhance and complete how the car sees and displays its surroundings. Jeez Elon you are either all in on Tesla Vision or not.

Upvote 0
What exactly will the Front Camera display IF/WHEN implemented? Just a front view or will it be knitted to the other cameras for a Surround View?

Also given Tesla's All-In approach to Tesla Vision you'd think they would add a "few" more cameras to enhance and complete how the car sees and displays its surroundings. Jeez Elon you are either all in on Tesla Vision or not.
Personally, I really doubt you will ever see a front bumper camera on our vehicles (although "not ever" is a bit hazardous in Tesla land). The main reason is, it will be nearly useless most of the time, continuously covered by road crap. Probably the only time it will work is as you roll out of a car wash, especially in winter. The three cameras up top are covered by glass in the wiper path, and is heated to keep it clear of ice and snow. My car now automatically drops in to a 360 view in the ICD when parking. This is great when closed in, and even works in a parking lot with well marked parking spots, when not closed in.

The only camera that I thing might be advantageous, is second rear facing camera. This could allow for more accurate distance calculations to vehicles approaching from the rear. But the rear camera is usually the first to fail in crummy weather.

Upvote 0