Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possible to retrofit ultrasonic sensors to non-USS/HW4 Model X to enable the fully-automatic front doors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

stos

‘23 Model X LR
Jul 15, 2021
South Carolina
Long story short, I had a very unfortunate incident where I sustained front-end damage to my two month old Model X LR. However, luckily no structural components were damaged. I spent a while digging deep into the car to find every little part that is damaged, and besides the front bumper and some adhesive for the fascia lamp brackets, everything is swappable plastic and fairly straightforward. I’m doing the work myself to avoid a collision claim because insurance is already too darn high. I plan on repairing the bumper fascia as well instead of replacing it (for now), however…

As many of us know, Model X vehicles manufactured around and after Q3 of 2023 (manual states January 2023 although I’ve heard it’s as late as March 2023) do not have fully-automatic front doors. This is due to the removal of ultrasonic sensors, which I personally believe was a grave mistake and disservice specifically to the Model X considering there was additional functionality permanently (manual nor Tesla have made no indication of “Vision-based” fully-automatic front doors) removed other than simply ultrasonic-based parking sensors.

My question is, would it be at all possible in any capacity to do an ultrasonic sensor retrofit for the sole purpose of enabling automatic front doors? Seems I just need a fascia with ultrasonic sensor cutouts plus the fender flares/garnishes (one needs replacing anyway), along with sensors and wiring harnesses and whatnot.

I assume this relies on two things:
1. Is there an existing port on non-USS/HW4 Model X vehicles to plug any USS wiring harness into?
2. If so, is there a way to enable functionality, whether it be plug-and-play or through Tesla Toolbox?

I’m pretty certain the ultrasonic sensors used for the front doors are located on the front of each fender flare/garnish. These have specific part numbers in the Tesla parts catalog. Although from the parts diagram it seems that they all still connect through one harness. Otherwise I’d just opt for those two parts/sensors.

I wouldn’t consider this unless an opportunity like this one arose.

Reactions: towndrunk
Long story short, I had a very unfortunate incident where I sustained front-end damage to my two month old Model X LR. However, luckily no structural components were damaged. I spent a while digging deep into the car to find every little part that is damaged, and besides the front bumper and some adhesive for the fascia lamp brackets, everything is swappable plastic and fairly straightforward. I’m doing the work myself to avoid a collision claim because insurance is already too darn high. I plan on repairing the bumper fascia as well instead of replacing it (for now), however…

As many of us know, Model X vehicles manufactured around and after Q3 of 2023 (manual states January 2023 although I’ve heard it’s as late as March 2023) do not have fully-automatic front doors. This is due to the removal of ultrasonic sensors, which I personally believe was a grave mistake and disservice specifically to the Model X considering there was additional functionality permanently (manual nor Tesla have made no indication of “Vision-based” fully-automatic front doors) removed other than simply ultrasonic-based parking sensors.

My question is, would it be at all possible in any capacity to do an ultrasonic sensor retrofit for the sole purpose of enabling automatic front doors? Seems I just need a fascia with ultrasonic sensor cutouts plus the fender flares/garnishes (one needs replacing anyway), along with sensors and wiring harnesses and whatnot.

I assume this relies on two things:
1. Is there an existing port on non-USS/HW4 Model X vehicles to plug any USS wiring harness into?
2. If so, is there a way to enable functionality, whether it be plug-and-play or through Tesla Toolbox?

I’m pretty certain the ultrasonic sensors used for the front doors are located on the front of each fender flare/garnish. These have specific part numbers in the Tesla parts catalog. Although from the parts diagram it seems that they all still connect through one harness. Otherwise I’d just opt for those two parts/sensors.

I wouldn’t consider this unless an opportunity like this one arose.

Technically, I think it is possible. The feature and hardware were there before. Now the hardware is absent so you just need to:

1.Install the hardware back.

2.Find the firmware codes that allow the feature for older cars and alter them to force them to work with your newer car.

3.Each time you install a new firmware, you need to do step 2 all over again.

For practical purposes, it’s just not feasible to do it.

Reactions: StevenSD
Technically, I think it is possible. The feature and hardware were there before. Now the hardware is absent so you just need to:

1.Install the hardware back.

2.Find the firmware codes that allow the feature for older cars and alter them to force them to work with your newer car.

3.Each time you install a new firmware, you need to do step 2 all over again.

For practical purposes, it’s just not feasible to do it.

You left out a few things. Possibly I'm just rewording your intent
  • If you're lucky, you may need to go into the service menu and force a reinstall of the latest s/w update to recognize the hardware. No guarantee this works. On the other hand, this may trigger recognition of the new sensors, but just start displaying errors, since they need something else (like the next step) to work.
  • Tesla Service (or someone with the proper tools), may need to enable it in the config. This is often the deal breaker with a lot of hardware mods. It's rare to find someone with the tools and the obvious ones (Tesla) may not be sympathetic.
  • It's a lot of work (and expense) to do to find out it may not work at all.

You left out a few things. Possibly I'm just rewording your intent
  • If you're lucky, you may need to go into the service menu and force a reinstall of the latest s/w update to recognize the hardware. No guarantee this works. On the other hand, this may trigger recognition of the new sensors, but just start displaying errors, since they need something else (like the next step) to work.
  • Tesla Service (or someone with the proper tools), may need to enable it in the config. This is often the deal breaker with a lot of hardware mods. It's rare to find someone with the tools and the obvious ones (Tesla) may not be sympathetic.
  • It's a lot of work (and expense) to do to find out it may not work at all.
Thanks, and thanks @Tam as well. I saw responses a bit late as I'm still new-ish responding on this forum and email notifications aren't working for some reason.
  • So, in terms of cost, the added cost on me given my situation would come from the ultrasonic/parking sensors, sensor brackets, wiring harness(es), and right-hand fender flare/garnish. I'm already saving a lot not going through a shop to get the work I need done regardless.
    • Using the Tesla Israeli Parts Pricing List File and converting currency values to USD (I'd estimate 80% accuracy, but some parts do vary a lot from this file), the sensors, brackets, and wiring harnesses have an estimated additional cost ranging from ~$820 to ~$960 (roughly $1k), but I would venture to guess it's even less if those sensors aren't $120+ a piece according to this file.
    • A Tesla Service Center would have to officially provide prices and I do not and cannot get price quotes on these as they do not match my VIN.
    • As for the bumper fascia cover, let's remember that there are far fewer salvaged non-USS Model X fascia covers in the wild than there are USS fascia covers, meaning I could probably score a used, factory pre-painted (PPSW) fascia cover with USS cutouts for a whole lot less money than a new unpainted non-USS fascia cover along with having to paint and potentially even blend it.
    • End of the day, costs are not significant unless there's a deeper hardware limitation such as other harnesses or connectors.
  • Seems this is mostly a software limitation, and I wouldn't want to "force" anything beyond simply as toggling a feature of some sort. Not to mention if I thwart adding the rear parking sensors this could result in errors which I wouldn't want either. I suppose if I ran into that problem, I could just unplug the harness and leave it be.
  • One thing I want to mention is I found a Tesla employee on Reddit who stated that the front doors automatic door opening feature (opening up to 10 degrees, not the threshold settings found on USS models) actually utilizes the reardoor's sensor to detect obstacles.
    • The Tesla employee said there's no documentation showing other/front USS/parking sensors utilize obstacle detection for the front doors.
    • Despite the above, I believe it's still a safe assumption that USS plays a part, as the removal of USS directory corresponded with the front doors no longer opening automatically beyond the 10-degree threshold.
  • One question I do have is how are "tow mode" settings added in software on Model Y when OEM towing equipment is added?
    • If this is through Tesla Toolbox, then the likelihood of enablement of other features not gatekept through Tesla connectivity/activation (i.e., FSD, Acceleration Boost, etc.) may also be possible.
    • I have virtually no knowledge or expertise with Toolbox so apologies for assuming it's even useful for any application of this kind.
Someone with Toolbox would have to answer or do a deep dive to see if there's something there that allows for this. While any non-USS Tesla would do, Model X specifically may have toggles or data specifically for the automatic front doors. Who here has Toolbox access or experience? To reiterate, I don't care about parking sensors.

I just received a new Model X (March 2024). I had previously owned a 2017 Model X. Only after I got the car did I find out that the sensors used for park assistance had been eliminated. I've only had it two weeks. I'm going to get rid of the new Model X and look for one from prior production that has the sensors. Can someone tell me by VIN or date how I can tell if an older model has the ultrasonic sensors?

Reactions: Art VandeIay
I just received a new Model X (March 2024). I had previously owned a 2017 Model X. Only after I got the car did I find out that the sensors used for park assistance had been eliminated. I've only had it two weeks. I'm going to get rid of the new Model X and look for one from prior production that has the sensors. Can someone tell me by VIN or date how I can tell if an older model has the ultrasonic sensors?

Sounds like an expensive decision. You can tell by looking at the front & rear fenders. Those round discs are the sensors.