Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problem With Model X Automatic (Self-Presenting) Door Feature -- Fix and Settings Summary

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tps5352

Supporting Member
Here’s another semi-confusing hardware/software settings issue (for Model X). My car is an early-2021 (built Dec. 2020), so the older “Legacy”/”Classic” version.

*****​

As most Model X owner’s know (but drivers of other models may not), Model X (if equipped with the at-first optional [2015-mid-2018] and then eventually standard [2018-present] “premium upgrade package”) came with powered front doors that could be programmed to open/close (hands-free) automatically under certain conditions. (Plug for self-opening door in "Buying a Used Model X" website. And see also this TMC Thread.)

The 2015-2020 Model X Owner's Manual (2024.2.3), Page 10 says:

“If equipped with the premium upgrade package, and the Automatic Doors setting is turned on, when you walk up to Model X carrying your key fob, doors automatically unlock and the driver's door partially opens. If not equipped, or if this setting is turned off, doors automatically unlock and a door opens when you press its handle.” [emphasis added]

Um, OK. That is all true,…except when it’s not. Here’s a recent example of when it was not true for me:
  • Since purchase I've had my driver’s door automatically unlock and open (i.e., "self-present"), and the passenger door unlock, when the key fob was close (within 3 feet) to the door. (Handy feature.)
  • But after a service visit (in Sacramento) I eventually found that this and some other features had stopped working.
  • Because of a (new to me) warning message (lower center of driver’s display), I initially suspected a problem with the fob. (More on this message, below.)
  • So I began trying the usual remedies:
    |
    • Tried the spare key fob.
    • Put in fresh fob batteries.
    • Determined that the front doors would open/close hands-free using touchscreen controls.
    • Performed (two types of) soft reboots.
    • And, of course, I checked center touchscreen settings--the ones in the "Vehicle" screen (because that is where "door"-related settings are, right?)
but without success.​

Fortunately a helpful employee at the (new Rocklin, CA, USA location) Tesla Service Center helped solve the problem.

She revealed that the Sacramento Service Center routinely shuts off the “Passive Entry” setting in customer cars (for on-site security reasons). This setting is located on a different screen ("Safety") then the other “door”-related settings (see table below). With Passive Entry back on, and with some other fiddling, we were eventually able to return automatic door features to the way I wanted.

*****​

So what did I learn?

First, I must re-emphasize: all this may mostly apply if you have (a) a Model X and (b) the “Premium Upgrade Package.” If you do, the settings situation is somewhat reminiscent of the whole Sentry Mode & Enhanced Anti-Theft Upgrade security alarm issue. That is, there appear to be multiple software settings that may control/affect if and how Model X automatic door functions operate.

Here is a summary of software "slider switch" settings concerned with the car doors, the key-fob, or the settings necessary for the automatic driver’s-side door opening feature:

TABLE 1

Some Model X "Door"- and
"Lock"-related Software Settings
Key
DD = driver-side front door
FD = both front doors
fob = key fob
NA = "not applicable" or "not available"
PD = passenger-side front door

Setting​
Central
Display
Screen​
Owner's
Manual
Info​
Additional
"Circle-i"
Onscreen Info​
Setting Necessary for
Self-Presenting Driver
Door Feature​
1. Automatic Doors
Vehicle​
On - DD partially opens when fob detected¹
Off - DD unlocks, but must be opened manually
On - DD opens when fob​
is detected.
PD opens with two
double-clicks
of fob button​
Must be On
2. Close All With Key Fob​
Vehicle​
On - Doors & trunk close & lock with single fob click
Off - Triple-click required²
-NA-​
-NA-​
3. Walk-Away Door Lock​
Vehicle​
On - FDs auto-lock when fob away from car
Off - No automatic door lock
-NA-​
-NA-​
4. Driver Door Unlock Mode
Vehicle​
On - Only DD unlocks in "Park"
Off - All doors unlock in "Park"
On - DD & charge port
unlock when fob
detected​
Must be Off
5. Passive Entry
Safety
On - Doors/trunk unlock when fob detected
Off - Must use fob to unlock doors & trunk​
-NA-​
Must be On
Footnotes
¹ Vehicle must be equipped with Premium Upgrade Package.
² Default setting is Off, probably to help prevent accidental locking with an inadvertent, accidental single click.

Comments

Does this software settings system seem a tad over-engineered to you? I recognize that Tesla settings evolve over time (with introduction of new models, software updates, hardware changes, etc.). Perhaps as a result there now exists some redundancy or unnecessary overlapping of settings?

Conclusion

I've determined that Automatic Doors must be on, Driver Door Unlock Mode must be off, and Passive Entry must be on for my car to do what I want (i.e., open the driver's door automatically when the fob is near and close and lock the doors automatically when I exit).

Arguably confusing, there appear to be at least three settings on two different screens that influence whether a Model X driver's door will "self-present."

I thank the Tesla Rocklin, CA, USA Service Center for assistance.

Photos
Door-related Screens

Arrows point to two screens ("Vehicle" and
"Safety") with "door"/"lock"-related settings.​
Vehicle Screen

Arrows point to four "door"/"lock"-related
settings within the "Vehicle" screen.​
Automatic Doors Circle-i Message

Some settings have a little "i" inside a circle. Click on those
for additional on-screen information.
Here is the information message for
the "Automatic Doors" setting.​
Driver Door Unlock Mode Circle-i Message

Here is additional on-screen information for
the "Driver Door Unlock Mode" setting.​

Model X Self-Presenting Door

By the way, contrary to what you see here, the "self-presenting"
automatic door opening feature is only supposed to partially open the driver
door a maximum of between 20° to 45° (degrees) (less if a nearby
obstacle is detected). The door is not supposed to open fully. It's a
handy convenience thing--appreciated when your hands are full;
not appreciated when spraying the car (while hand-
washing it) with the fob in your pocket.
Washing the Model X together, in happier times

******************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Appendix A

More on "Passive Entry" and "Driver Door
Unlock Mode" (They're important)

If Passive Entry is on, then the doors and rear trunk unlock as the fob approaches. If Passive Entry is off, the self-presenting feature won't work and the doors and rear trunk won't open by hand, regardless of the Automatic Doors setting. (That is what apparently caused my problems, although there was also the Driver Door Unlock Mode setting, too.)

Another thing (from 2020 Model X Owner's Manual, Page 144):

"If Passive Entry is off and you do not press the brake pedal to start Model X within approximately five minutes, a message displays on the instrument panel and you must use the key to lock, then unlock Model X again before starting the vehicle." [emphasis added]

That is probably the (unknown to me) message I saw at the bottom of the driver's display that caused me to think the fob battery was bad. Silly me for not memorizing the 247-page Owner's Manual. But kidding aside, it's worth it to re-familiarize yourself with Page 144, entitled "Safety & Security." For example, I strongly recommend the "PIN to Drive" feature that will stop most casual attempts to abscond with the car even if the thief has somehow acquired the fob or card.

Interestingly, this message is not in the Model X 2015-2020 Owner's Manual (Software version 2024.2.3), that I could see.

The Driver Door Unlock Mode setting really perplexes me. According to the Manual and on-screen descriptions, I would normally choose to have that be on. But for some reason, that interferes with the car's ability to automatically open the driver's door (self-present) when the key fob is near.

I suspect that part of the seeming confusion is because we are dealing with two important, but at times conflicting concepts with these door-unlocking/opening features:
  • Customer convenience
  • Customer security (and maybe Tesla liability?)
Either Tesla engineers have purposely programmed the three key settings (1, 4, and 5 in the Table, above) to be this way--perhaps in order to balance convenience against security--or it is just an overlooked artifact of repeated programming updates over time (and software code that needs to be "cleaned up"). We'd probably have to hear from Tesla employees to know for sure.

Passive Entry Setting grayed-out

The "Passive Entry" setting normally cannot be changed...​
Passive Entry Setting able to be changed

...until the car is put in "Park" and the brake pedal depressed.​

Finally, if you don't have the Owner's Manual handy, see online versions here: 2015-2020 or 2021-present. However, I find efficiently searching the Tesla online manuals to be annoying. I prefer a downloaded pdf version that I can easily highlight, add notes to, and search using Adobe Acrobat (or other PDF file reader). And, of course, your Owner's Manual is available on the car's touchscreen ("Service" screen, I think). However, I think that I will start carrying a paper copy of the 2015-2020 Owner's Manual in the car--much easier to deal with than a version on the touchscreen or cell phone.

******************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Appendix B

TABLE 2

Summary of Model X
Door Functions

Door​
Powered?​
Opens Automatically
(when key fob detected)
Notes​
Front Trunk ("Frunk") Hood​
No​
No​
Aftermarket kits available.¹​
Driver's Front Door
--------------------------
Passenger's Front Door​
Yes​
Yes
-------
No​
Subject to software settings.² ³ ⁴ (See TABLE 1, above.)
----------------------------------------------------------------
Can be controlled hands-free/manually in several ways.³ ⁴​
R & L Falcon Wing Doors​
Yes​
No​
Can be controlled hands-free and manually in several ways.⁵​
Rear Trunk Liftgate​
Yes​
No​
Foot-actuated aftermarket kits available.⁶​

Footnotes

¹ For example, here.
² Original 20° to 45°, that amount has apparently been reduced to 10° in newer cars (to avoid reported mishaps with obstacles).
³ Note: There is no button on the key fob for the left/right front doors. However, there are buttons for the two FWDs.
⁴ Front doors can be opened by pushing exterior door handles, using interior door latches, and using the touch screen.
⁵ FWDs can be opened/closed using mechanical (on car and fob) and touch screen buttons.
⁶ For example, here.

Last edited:
Experimented on Saturday (03/23/24)--while charging--with various permutations of the primary door/lock settings. Since each of the five settings (in the Table in Post #1) are binomial (i.e., have only two possible conditions: either on or off), I believe there are p=2↑5 (2 raised to the fifth power, or 2x2x2x2x2 = 32) permutations. (Every time you introduce another on-off switch setting, it doubles the number of possible permutations.) I can't say I tried every variation, but I tried a lot of them. (Plus some additional settings, as well.)

For those who want to duplicate my experiments, you can:
  • Start with all five settings off.
  • Exit the car with key-fob and your phone with the Tesla App (so that you can easily lock the car from a distance, when Walk-Away Door Lock (WADL) is not engaged).
  • Stand about 10-feet or more away (to give WADL, if on, a chance to work).
  • Lock the car (at first with fob or App; depending on settings, mirrors should fold in, horn sounds, and lights flash).
  • Then approach the car (driver's side) with your fob and take note of what does or does not happen.
  • Change the desired setting(s).
  • And repeat, for different combinations of settings (until you get repeated calls/texts from spouse, children, or parole officer demanding to know where the heck you are).
Takes time, yes, but if you are waiting for the car to charge, no problem. (I assume and hope, btw, that the charging operation does not interfere with the settings experiment).

Why not simply follow the Owner's Manual (OM) language and choose your setting that way? By all means, try that first. But (a) this was an experiment to learn, and (b) I've found:
  • OM language is (occasionally) wrong.
  • OM language, while generally good and well-written, can occasionally be confusing or obtuse.
  • OM language sometimes forgets to mention other necessary settings and/or potential interactions among the settings.
  • OM language can be out-of-date (because of software updates).
  • And Tesla online OM versions (e.g., in car, in App, on PC) can be more 'difficult' to work with (e.g., slow; search procedure annoying).
What I found during my lengthy investigation was interesting, sometimes confusing, and at times contrary to the OM. For example:
  • As stated in Post #1, the OM says that if (a) you have the Premium Update Package (PUP) and (b) Automatic Doors is on, then the driver's front door should partially open when the key-fob is detected (about a meter away). That is not completely true (for my USA 2020ish car). Passive Entry also has to be on.
    |
  • At one point, I had Automatic Doors, Passive Entry and Driver Door Unlock Mode setting all on, and the driver's door was partially opening when approached with the fob. (That is contrary to what I wrote in Post #1.)
    |
  • But eventually I turned the PIN to Drive setting back on, and the self-presenting door feature stopped working. (Why did I do that? Tesla recommends that if Passive Entry is on, so too should be PIN to Drive, for security reasons.) So the Driver Door Unlock Mode setting had to be turned off again.
    |
  • The "i"-in-a-circle info message for the Driver Door Unlock Mode setting (on the touch-display Vehicle screen) says:
    • "When enabled, the driver door and charge port will unlock when the key is detected near the vehicle."
      |
      That is flat-out wrong,...sometimes. At least on my car it is.
      |
  • It suspect it should say instead something like:
    • "When enabled, and when Passive Entry is enabled, only the driver door and charge port will unlock when the key is detected near the vehicle."
      |
  • And to also allow automatic self-presenting (of the driver's door), the Automatic Doors setting has to also be turned on. (But then, as stated above, when I also had the PIN to Drive setting on, I had to turn off the Driver Door Unlock Mode setting. Grrr!)
So you get the idea. The door-lock settings system can be a little,...complex. I feel I have only scratched the surface of door-lock mysteries. (Possible show idea for the History Channel?) I suspect that over time, features have been added and/or modified. And Owner's Manual language has perhaps not always kept up; or revisions to the OM have been piecemeal, by different people.

Could the door-lock software code be re-written and cleaned up? Probably. But frankly, I'd rather Tesla spent the time on FSD.

Does the 2015-2020 Owner's Manual needs a good re-write (to encompass/embrace all software updates). Yes, but please don't look at me.

Meanwhile, I want to do one more round of experiments, because I am still unclear whether the car being "Off" (as shown on the driver's display screen) or "On" while making settings changes affected the results the first time through. I first noticed potential differences halfway through my experiments, only after I turned PIN to Drive back on. My bad.

For those of you with science, medical, or engineering backgrounds, you know how important (yet difficult) it can be to manage all pertinent variables while performing experiments; at least if you want your results to be accurate and meaningful.

History Channel.jpg

Last edited:
...Does this software settings system seem a tad over-engineered to you?...

In defense of my (veiled) criticism, here is a (partial?) list of ways just Model X front doors can supposedly be unlocked, according to the 2020 Owner's Manual. (Did I find all of them?)
  1. Touch the "lock" icon at top of center touchscreen.
  2. When the Passive Entry setting is "on" and the car senses the key-fob near the driver's door.
  3. Double-click the top key-fob button.
  4. When the car is equipped with the Premium Upgrade Package, the Automatic Doors setting is "on," and the car with senses the key-fob.
  5. (If PUP is not installed or AD is "off," manually press a door handle to unlock and open.)
  6. Center display touchscreen controls (when inside the car).
  7. When the Unlock on Park setting is "on" and the car is put into "Park."
  8. With a second click of the "Park" button at end of gear-selector stalk.
  9. With the Tesla App "Controls" screen.
  10. By placing the (dead-battery) key-fob to the base of the central door pillar (between front driver's door and gull-wing door).
  11. In the event of a collision when the airbags go off. (OK, definitely don't try that one.)
The list of ways to Lock the front doors is only slightly shorter.​

This reminds me of dealing with Microsoft Windows (or other computer software), where there can be a dizzying number of ways to perform certain functions. Sorry software coders; sometimes less is more.

Granted, my criticism is a little unfair--we want Tesla to be innovative and imaginative. It's just that with so many control settings affecting functions, conflicts are bound to occur once in a while.

Last edited:
...Could the door-lock software code be re-written and cleaned up?...

Does the 2015-2020 Owner's Manual needs a good re-write...

It appears that Tesla somewhat addressed both concerns, just not with the 2015-2020 Model X. Instead, with the newer 2021+ Model X model-years (which actually makes perfect sense).

As has happened with some of my other posts, one single question or issue has grown into a much larger investigation. In this case, how newer (2021+) Model X doors are automatically locked, unlocked, and opened.

Based on (2021+ cars; Version 2024.2.3 software) Owner’s Manual language, setting options in these newer cars appears to be similar to that in “classic” Model X, but with some differences.
  • No more Premier Update Package to be concerned with, naturally. (The optional PUP features are now mostly standard with 2021+ Model X.)
    |
  • In “refreshed” Model X, emphasis appears to be on using “paired” key fobs and “paired” cell phones (containing the Tesla App), in addition to using the key cards provided with a new car.
    |
  • When enabled (“On”), the Automatic Doors setting still automatically unlocks the front doors. And it apparently also opens the driver’s side door partially when the fob is sensed. (As of January 2023, the driver door only opens about 10 degrees.)
    |
  • As in older Model X, when enabled Walk Away Doors automatically locks the car when the key leaves its vicinity (~6 feet). But this setting apparently does not function when using just a key card, however.
    |
  • The Driver Door Unlock Mode setting still allows the choice that only the driver door unlocks automatically.
    |
  • One difference in the refreshed Model X may be (but is not confirmed by me) the lack of a specific Passive Entry setting (on the Center Display Safety screen). The Owner’s Manual states:
Passive locking and unlocking is automatically enabled when you pair your key fob to Model X.” (Page 26)​

I assume from this and other Owner’s Manual language that the original “Passive Entry” function has been folded into a general "passive locking and unlocking” feature, and that it is now purposely automatic when a key fob is “paired” to the vehicle (so there is no need for a sliding-switch setting in the software controls). However, I have not been in a refreshed Model X to confirm this assumption.​

Furthermore, my hunch is that drivers of “refreshed” Model X need only set the Automatic Doors setting to “On” in order to enjoy the self-presenting driver’s door feature. (I do not know whether or not the Driver Door Unlock Mode setting must be off, or what other settings [like PIN to Drive], if any, may affect the self-presenting driver’s door feature in 2021+ Model X.)

Addendum:

This image was supposed to go at the end of Post #3. But there was some "Server Issue" that prevented me from uploading figures for a day or so.

Are Tesla coding and Microsoft coding similar? You be the judge.

Last edited:
FWIW, I'm pretty sure that present-on-approach was possible in 2017 with driver door unlock mode on. I find it interesting that would change, and I doubt it is an intentional change (though I suspect it was triggered by intentional changes they made on the Model 3 and ported over to the X that made driver door unlock mode on the X suck a bit when compared to how it behaved previously). That having been said, I have no reason to re-test myself because I only want the door to open when I tell it to, which is exactly what automatic doors on + passive entry off provides (in addition to arguably negating the need for PIN to drive). Incidentally, you quoted the manual re: not leaving within a certain amount of time, and that bit of the manual is wrong. The prompt on the IC says something like "Unable to drive. Authentication required" (but not exactly that), and "authentication" = an unlock signal from the FOB, but this "authentication" does NOT require the vehicle to be locked before it is unlocked, at least not when driver door unlock mode is on and the other doors are still locked.

• Helpful
Reactions: tps5352
Visited the Tesla (Sacramento) Service Center/Showroom today (03/27/24). Was shown a new (demo) Model X. There has apparently been a (nominal only?) change to the "Passive Entry" setting. According to Tesla sales rep there, the latest Model X have the setting "Mobile Entry" on the "Safety" screen. It's purpose is apparently the same as for "Passive Entry."

However, I can not confirm this supposed change in the Tesla Model X online 2021+ Owner's Manual or in any (pdf) Tesla owner's manuals (see below).

Here is a summary of the Passive Entry setting history per Model X (North America) owner's manuals from various years.

Reference to "Passive Entry" in Various North American Model X Owner's Manuals
Model-Years
(Software version)​
"Passive Entry"
Discussed​
Notes​
Owner's Manual
Pages​
2016​
no
-NA-​
-NA-​
2017 (8.0)​
no
-NA-​
-NA-​
2017 (2017.46)​
yes​
Doors unlock when fob detected​
4, 13, 48, 121​
2018 (2018.12)​
yes​
4, 13, 51, 124​
2019 (2019.16.1.1)​
yes​
9, 18, 58, 131​
2019 (2019.32.11)​
yes​
6, 16, 55, 138​
2015-2020 (2024.2.3)​
yes​
20, 30​
2020 (2020.4)​
yes​
10, 20, 61, 147​
2020 (2020.20)​
yes​
9, 19, 162​
2020 (2020.44)​
yes​
10, 19, 144​
2021+ (2021.32.20)​
not specifically
No specific setting choice. Instead, "Passive Locking and Unlocking"
is automatic with paired key fob​
10, 11, 13​
2021+ (2024.2.3)​
not specifically
No specific setting choice. Instead, "Passive Locking and Unlocking"
is automatic with paired key fob​
23, 24, 26​

So I am left wondering why Tesla has gone from using Passive Entry for a number of years (2017-2020), to making the function automatic (for 2021+ Model X), to now allegedly returning to a newly named setting (Mobile Entry), all addressing the same function--allowing automatic locking and locking with the vicinity of the key-fob (or paired cell phone). I thought I saw the Mobile Access setting on the 2024 Model X screen, but perhaps I was mistaken or misunderstood the rep. I will also check owner's manual language for other models.

BTW, there are references to "mobile entry" online (e.g., see here), but they seem to be referring to the general idea of using card and apps rather than key and fob hardware, per se.

*****​

Similar to 2021+ Model X, passive locking and unlocking is automatic in the 2021+ Model S with a paired key fob, according to the Tesla online owner's Manual. Likewise for the latest Model Y and possibly for Cybertruck. Did not see mention of "Mobile Entry."

Last edited:
For someone who is a prospective X buyer, I have found this thread to be extremely eye-opening. I’m in awe at the extent some of the experts here have scientifically dissected the translation of code, to actually functionality. Even though I’ve read every comment, I’m not 100% clear on this, and would appreciate any confirmation of the same:

Do each/ all doors, on 2024 new X’s, front and rear fully open automatically, and even if only upon user interaction? A deal-breaker for me would be if I had to fight with the door(s) and their motor(s).

For someone who is a prospective X buyer, I have found this thread to be extremely eye-opening. I’m in awe at the extent some of the experts here have scientifically dissected the translation of code, to actually functionality. Even though I’ve read every comment, I’m not 100% clear on this, and would appreciate any confirmation of the same:

Do each/ all doors, on 2024 new X’s, front and rear fully open automatically, and even if only upon user interaction? A deal-breaker for me would be if I had to fight with the door(s) and their motor(s).
Only the driver door opens automatically upon approach. When the driver approaches, the other doors can unlock (based on a lock setting). But the other doors require you press the button to open the door (assuming lock mode is set up to support it).

If you have an iPhone, the car takes advantage of Apple's Ultra Wide Band chip to make precision location much more accurate and reliable. Approach from the front, the door pops, but does not fully open until the driver is behind the door.

..Do each/ all doors, on 2024 new X’s, front and rear fully open automatically, and even if only upon user interaction?

The key word here is "automatically," I think. I take that to mean, "hands-free" but without any specific action needed by the approaching driver. Compare that to discussions on TMC where people are talking about the capability of opening mechanically/electronically but with the push of a (fob/touch screen/App) button needed. (See summary of Model X door functions in Appendix B of the Original Post.)

Only the driver door opens automatically upon approach. When the driver approaches, the other doors can unlock (based on a lock setting). But the other doors require you press the button to open the door (assuming lock mode is set up to support it).

If you have an iPhone, the car takes advantage of Apple's Ultra Wide Band chip to make precision location much more accurate and reliable. Approach from the front, the door pops, but does not fully open until the driver is behind the door.

That's right (for my December 2020 Model X). And true for new Model X as well, I believe. What's changed in newer Model X with new software is the amount the driver door opens. And, btw, that could easily be "fixed" (revert back to original) with a change to the software (if enough owners complain).

A deal-breaker for me would be if I had to fight with the door(s) and their motor(s).

My driver door sometimes resists me when there are obstacles (e.g., otherwise harmless plants) next to the car. Not a big deal. I actually appreciate it that the car is trying to avoided dents and scratches to the door.

I love my X. The interior size, ease of egress, and storage capacity are perfect for me. Test drive and compare.

Oh, and btw, I had plastic door edge strips installed to the trailing vertical edges of both front doors, to help avoid potential damage to my car or to a car parked next to me. While I used an installer (who serviced a local Toyota dealer), you can easily find various products (with lots of colors) on Amazon or elsewhere online. Yes, edge strips may detract from the appearance somewhat, but it is worth it the first time your door gets away from you (on a windy day).

Last edited:
I first addressed an alleged software setting name change from "Passive Entry" to "Mobile Entry" (or "Mobile Access") on March 27, 2024 (Post #8, above). It has taken me almost a month to return to the scene of the crime (Tesla Service Center in Sacramento) and to try to clear up those month-old questions and correct some erroneous statements.

...There has apparently been a (nominal only?) change to the "Passive Entry" setting. According to Tesla sales rep there, the latest Model X have the setting "Mobile Entry" on the "Safety" screen. It's purpose is apparently the same as for "Passive Entry."

Apparently, this is not true. Based on the evidence, or lack thereof, I no longer believe that there is or ever was a "Mobile Entry" setting (see more, below).

However, I can not confirm this supposed change in the Tesla Model X online 2021+ Owner's Manual or in any (pdf) Tesla owner's manuals (see below).

That remains true. There appears to be no evidence of a "Mobile Entry" setting in various owner's manuals I've seen.

However, "Passive Entry" has apparently disappeared in newer Model X.

As I reported in Post # 8, there is no specific Passive Entry setting choice. Instead, passive locking/unlocking is now automatic with the absence/presence of a paired key fob.

So I am left wondering why Tesla has gone from using Passive Entry for a number of years (2017-2020), to making the function automatic (for 2021+ Model X), to now allegedly returning to a newly named setting (Mobile Entry), all addressing the same function--allowing automatic locking and locking with the vicinity of the key-fob (or paired cell phone).

The answer seems to be that the "Passive Entry: setting is still a thing in Legacy cars (like my early 2021 Model X), but the function has become automatic in 2021+ cars and has not returned with a new name (e.g., there is no Mobile Entry).

I thought I saw the Mobile Access setting on the 2024 Model X screen, but perhaps I was mistaken or misunderstood the rep. I will also check owner's manual language for other models.

First, in the conversation I had with SC staff we were getting "Mobile Entry" and "Mobile Access" confused. Second, what I must have seen was "Allow Mobile Access," which is a completely different function (To allow remote equipment to access the car's GPS location information, I believe.). So, again, no "Passive Entry" or "Mobile Entry" settings in newer cars with the latest software.

Similar to 2021+ Model X, passive locking and unlocking is automatic in the 2021+ Model S with a paired key fob, according to the Tesla online owner's Manual. Likewise for the latest Model Y and possibly for Cybertruck. Did not see mention of "Mobile Entry."

Let's review some of the visual evidence in the Display screens for these conclusions:

1. (Loaner) 2020 (Legacy) Model X with firmware 2024.3.15 (v11.1) with Full Self Driving (Supervised) Software (v12.3.4; so fully up-to-date) has:
  • The "Automatic Doors" on-off slider setting (in "Vehicle" screen).
  • A "Passive Entry" on-off slider setting ("Safety" screen).
  • An "Allow Mobile Access" on-off- slider setting ("Safety" screen).
  • But no "Mobile Entry" setting (in any screen).
2. Showroom 2024 (Refreshed) Model X Plaid has:
  • "Automatic Doors" setting ("Locks" screen).
  • "Allow Mobile Access" setting ("Safety" screen).
  • No "Passive Entry" setting.
  • No "Mobile Entry" setting.
    |
  • BTW, the "Vehicle" screen has been replaced by a "Locks" screen in these newer vehicles.
  • Settings 1-4 from Table 1 of Post #1, above, are all found in the newly-named "Locks" screen.
3. My own 2021 (Legacy) Model X with firmware 2024.3.15 (v11.1) with Full Self Driving (Supervised) Software (v12.3.4) also has:
  • "Automatic Doors" setting ("Vehicle" screen).
  • "Passive Entry" setting ("Safety" screen).
  • "Allow Mobile Access" setting ("Safety" screen).
  • No "Mobile Entry" setting.
Selected Software Settings​
2021 Model X LR+ - Software Screen.jpg
2021 Model X LR+ - Vehicle & Safety Screens.jpg
2024 Model X Plaid - Locks Screen.jpg
2024 Model X Plaid - Safety Screen.jpg
2024 Model X Plaid - Software Screen.jpg

Last edited: