Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Center Display Screen Settings: "Passive Entry" vs. "Mobile Entry"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tps5352

Supporting Member
Question to owners/drivers of all new (2021-24) model-year cars with the latest software (updates), but especially "refreshed" Models S and X:

In the "Safety" screen of your center display, DO YOU HAVE AN OFF-ON SLIDER SETTING CALLED "Passive Entry" OR "Mobile Entry"?

In my car the "Passive Entry" setting is located on that screen page below the "Speed Limit Mode," "Cabin Overheat Protection," "Automatic 911 Call," "Security Alarm" settings. (See two photos directly below.) (I am specifically interested in the "Passive Entry" setting together with the "Automatic Doors" setting [on the "Vehicle screen] because of their effect on key fob recognition, automatic locking/unlocking, and the self-presenting door feature in Model X.)

Passive Entry setting greyed out.
||||||||||||||||||||
Passive Entry setting can be changed in Park and after brake pedal depressed.

While examining a 2024 Model X I was told (by a sales rep at a Tesla Showroom) that Tesla has renamed "Passive Entry" to "Mobile Entry" (at least I think that is what he said). However, I do not see "Passive Entry" mentioned as a setting in any 2021+ "refreshed" Models S and X owner's manuals. Furthermore, I can find no reference to "Mobile Entry" (as a Tesla software setting) on the Internet, in this TMC Forum, or in any of the Tesla owner's manuals (pdf or online).

Perhaps the title "Mobile Entry" is so new, coming with only the latest software, that it is not yet appearing in documents or postings? (Or else I mis-heard the Tesla sales rep.)

My early 2021 ("Classic") Model X currently has 2024.2.7 (w/FSD Beta v11.4.9).

Last edited:
My 2023 Model S doesn't show the Passive Entry option, but I think that's only applicable to cars that use key fobs, which mine doesn't have. I don't see a Mobile Entry option either, and I've never heard of that one before.

Yes, right. Thanks. I see in the 2021+ owner's manuals that "Passive Entry" (as a setting the driver can change) does not seem to be a thing. Instead, the 2021+ manuals talk about "Passive Locking and Unlocking" (e.g., Page 24 of the Model S 2021+ Owner's Manual. Software version 2024.2.3):

"Passive locking and unlocking is automatically enabled when you pair your key fob to Model S."​

I guess that there is no need for an "entry" setting that the driver can change if the function is automatic with a "paired" fob. (And maybe with a paired phone with Tesla App, also?) However, I don't think unlocking is automatic with the key-card, right? You have to hold the card against the door pillar, if I am not mistaken? (To make things more confusing, the Walk-Away Door Lock setting is still present, correct?)

So there is one possible reason to buy an (expensive) optional Model S key fob (same as Models 3 and Y, I believe--Model X uses different one) from the Tesla accessory website.

Anyway, I remain unsure about the need for and existence of a "Mobile Entry" setting in new cars. I have to return to the Tesla SC in a week or so. I will try to confirm the existence of a (possibly mythical) "Mobile Entry" setting at that time.

Oh, the joys of operating a computer on four wheels!

...DO YOU HAVE AN OFF-ON SLIDER SETTING CALLED "Passive Entry" OR "Mobile Entry"?...

...While examining a 2024 Model X I was told (by a sales rep at a Tesla Showroom) that Tesla has renamed "Passive Entry" to "Mobile Entry" (at least I think that is what he said). However, I do not see "Passive Entry" mentioned as a setting in any 2021+ "refreshed" Models S and X owner's manuals. Furthermore, I can find no reference to "Mobile Entry" (as a Tesla software setting) on the Internet, in this TMC Forum, or in any of the Tesla owner's manuals (pdf or online).

Perhaps the title "Mobile Entry" is so new, coming with only the latest software, that it is not yet appearing in documents or postings? (Or else I mis-heard the Tesla sales rep.)...

...Anyway, I remain unsure about the need for and existence of a "Mobile Entry" setting in new cars. I have to return to the Tesla SC in a week or so. I will try to confirm the existence of a (possibly mythical) "Mobile Entry" setting at that time...

I believe/hope that I have put this issue to rest with a recent visit to the (Sacramento) Service Center (where I could look at the display settings of various cars.

If interested, please see my findings and evidence here. (Spoilers: there is no "Mobile Entry" setting that I could find, and surprisingly no "Passive Entry" either in new (Model X) cars, now. @EVRider-FL was right!)

Last edited: