Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck is a scam.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems this so called “scam” is being enjoyed by more and more non-Tesla people.
Yeah. The more videos I watch, the more it confirms that it's a pretty cool truck...

That being said, the CT has less than 300mi of real world range. Probably can't tow any real load more than 150-200mi. Those things aside, Tesla continues to play the 1978 car dealership game of selling a "Foundation Series" with a bunch of add-ons that most buyers don't want.

(But as I said before, at least the forced add-ons are better than paint protection)

I think for an $80k roll away price, with about 300-350mi real world range, the dual motor version could have been worth it. But that's not what we got and the "Foundation Series" for $100k+ is far from what was promised...

So it does feel a little bit scam-y

Last edited:
It seems this so called “scam” is being enjoyed by more and more non-Tesla people.

You mean YT’s that change cars more than underwear? It’s for the clicks….. notice how they didn’t want their TRX anywhere near the dumpster lol

This thing is getting less than 250 miles, slow charging and is car based….. the El Camino of our time is correct

Yeah. The more videos I watch, the more it confirms that it's a pretty cool truck...

That being said, the CT has less than 300mi of real world range. Probably can't tow any real load more than 150-200mi. Those things aside, Tesla continues to play the 1978 car dealership game of selling a "Foundation Series" with a bunch of add-ons that most buyers don't want.

(But as I said before, at least the forced add-ons are better than paint protection)

I think for an $80k roll away price, with about 300-350mi real world range, the dual motor version could have been worth it. But that's not what we got and the "Foundation Series" for $100k+ is far from what was promised...

So it does feel a little bit scam-y
“Charlatan-like”….

Reactions: TessP100D
The problem I see with the reported range of 254 miles is that in a year or so of driving the real world range will be around 230 miles. And since road travel is most efficient when the SoC is kept somewhere close to 15% (low end) to around 70% (upper end) this amount of range is unacceptable.

This is unfortunate as I think this to be an interesting vehicle with some amazing tech. The CT truly needs a "real" 300 mile range when off the assembly line.

Rich

The problem I see with the reported range of 254 miles is that in a year or so of driving the real world range will be around 230 miles. And since road travel is most efficient when the SoC is kept somewhere close to 15% (low end) to around 70% (upper end) this amount of range is unacceptable.

This is unfortunate as I think this to be an interesting vehicle with some amazing tech. The CT truly needs a "real" 300 mile range when off the assembly line.

Rich
Dead on. That's what I mentioned earlier. That the "real world" range after one year of ownership is probably ~235mi. This is both city and highway as you will never just drive for 300mi straight in the city. You park, sit in traffic, precondition, have the sentry on, etc. Also, a few YT have shown towing numbers and it looks like with a 3,000lbs trailer, it's using ~800wh/mi; putting that range at or below 150mi.

For a rollaway cost of $80,000, ~300mi of real world range and ~200mi towing range, this would have been a very compelling truck. But at $100,000+ for the "Foundation Series" and <300mi range, this is mostly just an expensive toy. Maybe Tesla will get their act together by the time initial early adopter demand settles down and release something that can be used by fleets/the mass market.

Rich

Right; another reason to wait for gen 2 of the CT, when the 4680 batteries are better. To all those early Founder Edition adopters - Good luck and please don't come back here in six months whining about CT quality, range or features you didn't get (but current delivering trucks have). You should have known, given all of the posts and threads here on TMC.

Rich
It’s needs to be 500 miles of real range. What it has now is simply embarrassing

Those shallow treads they went with to maximize range are gonna be problematic for those who live in the north. Comparing the tread depth to Goodyear AT tires, they are less than half as deep.
not sure i would call ~250 miles of real world range "maximized range" ... so with real AT tires the Cybertruck would lose another ~30 miles of range? barely cracking 200 miles? yikes

All of the complaints about the CT's range and how much of a letdown that is....and they are sold out for the next 2+ years as we speak.

From Tesla's point of view - why change anything? How many other OEMs are dreaming about such a thing?

Celebrities and the "well off" don't care about range and towing and all of the things being complained about here.

The question is - what can anyone do to convince Tesla to stop selling these things at the current prices? Complain in a forum?

Last edited:
Reactions: SO16
All of the complaints about the CT's range and how much of a letdown that is....and they are sold out for the next 2+ years as we speak.

From Tesla's point of view - why change anything? How many other OEMs are dreaming about such a thing?

Celebrities and the "well off" don't care about range and towing and all of the things being complained about here.

The question is - what can anyone do to convince Tesla to stop selling these things at the current prices? Complain in a forum?

To be frank, it's not hard to "sell out" when your production capacity (4680 and cybertruck) is currently "very constrained". But sure, they will sell every one they make for the next 1-2 years, barring any catastrophic failure, as the fan-base for Elon is quite large.

To be frank, it's not hard to "sell out" when your production capacity (4680 and cybertruck) is currently "very constrained". But sure, they will sell every one they make for the next 1-2 years, barring any catastrophic failure, as the fan-base for Elon is quite large.

I agree 100%. However I believe that a non-constrained production would also have the CT sold out for the next 2+ years. I'm not convinced that Tesla is constrained - looking at all of the 4680 Model y's are flying out of gigatexas.

Have you been watching the videos from the guy (Joe) with the drone that provides updates of GigaTexaxs everyday on youtube? GigaTexas has new cathode battery buildings being built as we speak.

They also haven't yet refined their own lithium from another large plant they are building on 1,200 acres.

1704733510621.png

Which other OEM is doing this? Which other OEM can afford to do this stuff?

Reactions: SO16
I agree 100%. However I believe that a non-constrained production would also have the CT sold out for the next 2+ years. I'm not convinced that Tesla is constrained - looking at all of the 4680 Model y's are flying out of gigatexas.

Have you been watching the videos from the guy (Joe) with the drone that provides updates of GigaTexaxs everyday on youtube? GigaTexas has new cathode battery buildings being built as we speak.

They also haven't yet refined their own lithium from another large plant they are building on 1,200 acres.

View attachment 1007127

Which other OEM is doing this? Which other OEM can afford to do this stuff?
What are you talking about in regards to MYs flying out of giga Texas? Tesla stopped selling those and makes 2170 MYs out of Austin.