Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you think is causing the limited tow capability of the new Cybertruck?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2016 Wrangler unlimited with 35” Bridgestone KM3 mud terrain tires got 12 MPG with a 22 gal tank and not towing, range 264 miles
If I towed anything, my mpg would drop to 9-10
Range 198 miles
Mud terrain tires were amazing off road but noisy on streets
Those buying a CT, just be aware that utility is rhe goal not mpg and range
it’s supposed to be a truck. Utility is expected.

Range is King. Peorid.

look it up. First on the list.

This was going to be my exact use case. I could probably stomach stopping every 90min to charge. It's the fact that I would need to drop the trailer, charge for 60-120min, then reattach the trailer. Man... I really hope they start taking towing seriously. Maybe I can pick up a used CT or Rivian in 3-5 years. For now, Diesel is the way.
If Tesla was serious about trucks, they would have already modified the chargers for drive thru access, and increased the voltage.

but they are not serious about trucks. They built a rich persons soccer mom grocery getter.

CT was mobbed at the Washington DC Autoshow yesterday...

1706458933124.png

Reactions: evo9rs
Instead of a Camper what about something like this. It folds down and is larger than the Cyberlandr.
View attachment 1011889
I have a slide in camper for my 4x4 long bed Cummins. The truck is on 35” ridge grapplers and got about 17.5 mpg on the freeway doing 75mph. It can get 19-20mpg with nothing in the bed. With 60 gallons of fuel I have over 1000miles of range. I also have a 3900lb dry (closer to 4500lbs with food and supplies) 22’ Winnebago micro Minnie 2108FBS that I get 15mpg towing the same speed.

If I dropped to 60mph and stayed in the slow lane, it’d probably get about 10% better mpg. If I had factory size H/T tires even more. Guys with factory size tires report 23mpg empty.

No way a CT will replace that anytime soon.

Here’s a picture coming home from where I bought the slide in camper in Utah. Currently building out the camper, installing solar, cutting in windows, etc with an expected final weight of approximately 1500lbs. MPG will likely fall to 16.
IMG_8691.jpeg

Also has a BW gooseneck hitch for hauling equipment. It is like a Swiss Army knife. There is nothing a CT can do better than a 20 year old diesel except 0-60.

I think folks were expecting more. That’s the issue here. Alas, the CT is just a big MX with a bed, like a modern day BEV El Camino.

Look at the person noticing the horrendous panel gap by the front corner. Lol
He was probably looking over at the domestic ICE truck Monroney Labels with $50K markdowns, that will be rust buckets in 10 years. ;)

BTW went to Tysons Corner SC tonight, CyberTruck was there...said they are getting the Model 3 Highland in on Saturday. I would post the picture, but I don't want my ugly mug on the internet.

I am definitely gonna get me that ultra reliable 5.0 liter V8 with cylinder deactivation (s) and that amazing 10 SPD transmission that has a class action lawsuit. (s).

You wanna see panel gaps, you should see my Toyota FJ, you can get four fingers in there.... (between my A pillar and the hood). The gaps on the CT I saw tonight were tighter than 4mm, I couldn't get a finger in anywhere... Also the driver doors are crazy solid, it was like tapping on an up armored HUMVEE... I couldn't believe it... my wife freaked out when I group texted my family with the Tesla Rep handing me the "keys".... my daughter wants one really bad and called me immediately...

Last edited:
Reactions: GoldCountryCA
I have a slide in camper for my 4x4 long bed Cummins. The truck is on 35” ridge grapplers and got about 17.5 mpg on the freeway doing 75mph. It can get 19-20mpg with nothing in the bed. With 60 gallons of fuel I have over 1000miles of range. I also have a 3900lb dry (closer to 4500lbs with food and supplies) 22’ Winnebago micro Minnie 2108FBS that I get 15mpg towing the same speed.

If I dropped to 60mph and stayed in the slow lane, it’d probably get about 10% better mpg. If I had factory size H/T tires even more. Guys with factory size tires report 23mpg empty.

No way a CT will replace that anytime soon.

Here’s a picture coming home from where I bought the slide in camper in Utah. Currently building out the camper, installing solar, cutting in windows, etc with an expected final weight of approximately 1500lbs. MPG will likely fall to 16.
View attachment 1013630

Also has a BW gooseneck hitch for hauling equipment. It is like a Swiss Army knife. There is nothing a CT can do better than a 20 year old diesel except 0-60.

I think folks were expecting more. That’s the issue here. Alas, the CT is just a big MX with a bed, like a modern day BEV El Camino.
That is a nice looking rig...

Reactions: GoldCountryCA
He was probably looking over at the domestic ICE truck Monroney Labels with $50K markdowns, that will be rust buckets in 10 years. ;)

BTW went to Tysons Corner SC tonight, CyberTruck was there...said they are getting the Model 3 Highland in on Saturday. I would post the picture, but I don't want my ugly mug on the internet.

I am definitely gonna get me that ultra reliable 5.0 liter V8 with cylinder deactivation (s) and that amazing 10 SPD transmission that has a class action lawsuit. (s).

You wanna see panel gaps, you should see my Toyota FJ, you can get four fingers in there.... (between my A pillar and the hood). The gaps on the CT I saw tonight were tighter than 4mm, I couldn't get a finger in anywhere... Also the driver doors are crazy solid, it was like tapping on an up armored HUMVEE... I couldn't believe it... my wife freaked out when I group texted my family with the Tesla Rep handing me the "keys".... my daughter wants one really bad and called me immediately...

I’d hope the ones they have as a display at the dealer are mint fit and finish. Probably have their A-team doing QC on those. I wonder if the other pics posted here with terrible panel gaps are representative of the average CT going out to customers.

Crazy your FJ was that bad. Is that model Toyota made in Japan or elsewhere? My wife has the new Venza Limited and it’s flawless to the naked eye. It’s 100% made in Japan.

Where I live rust isn’t an issue thankfully. Plenty of snow and weather, but the road crews aren’t allowed to use any de-icers, only sand.