Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you think is causing the limited tow capability of the new Cybertruck?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That overrides the remaining "range" displayed on the dashboard? Just display whatever number as long as you put blurb about "it's on you, bro but our advertising says 320mi when you can only go 90mi"
You are complaining about made up issues now.

If you really have had Teslas like you claim, you know that if you input a destination, it will direct you to a charger when needed and updates the range in real-time.

Teslas always state EPA when starting, but the trip planner is typically very accurate. My MY always says 304 when I start out a trip, but my Nav has me charging at like 180 miles.

The final weapon when your argument falls apart... Gaslighting
Or posting the truth.

The EPA range for the battery never changes, that's why most Tesla owners recommend switching to %. Why would it on the CT?

You are literally creating things to complain about...and I've complained a lot about the CT. There are legitimate things, but what you are talking about is not one of them.

Edit: What argument fell apart? I feel like you are confusing posts here.

And the navigation planner takes the load into account, but the upper left range estimation doesn't. 12 minutes in:

View attachment 1010434
Rivian gains range in tow mode. Driver display never matches navigation on center screen either.

Seems to be an industry problem… err… feature. Like 1mi:1kWh while towing@ 55mph-ish. Many of us have explained this over the years. Some with X towing, some with Y towing, rivian… and so on.

Or posting the truth.

The EPA range for the battery never changes, that's why most Tesla owners recommend switching to %. Why would it on the CT?

You are literally creating things to complain about...and I've complained a lot about the CT. There are legitimate things, but what you are talking about is not one of them.
Yeah but that's not how real people work. They've driven gas cars their whole lives. Not spent years researching and have a mind that can keep real time percentages when driving, at least not yet.

In a 2003 Chevy Suburban the range estimate is shown in miles based on previous driving. The estimate in the Rivian shows a good faith range estimate in miles based on past, current and predicted conditions. Tesla just shows the "rated range" (or ideal if you really want to be miserable) which is a fairytale number for all but one model specific trim line of one specific model. That's the issue.

Look at Chicago and NYC this week, now that any Jill or Jim that qualifies for a $20k auto loan can buy a Model 3 (not to mention uber incentives and the rental car companies flooding the market) they just see "oh I have 100mi of range" then are stunned when car has 5% left after 20min of driving. They don't precondition, they often don't have home charging, they often make multiple stops in one day. So showing a magical number on the dashboard, divorced from reality is a massive problem. And it looks like the CT is the biggest offender, so if anyhting it's getting worse.

Yeah but that's not how real people work. They've driven gas cars their whole lives. Not spent years researching and have a mind that can keep real time percentages when driving, at least not yet.

In a 2003 Chevy Suburban the range estimate is shown in miles based on previous driving. The estimate in the Rivian shows a good faith range estimate in miles based on past, current and predicted conditions. Tesla just shows the "rated range" (or ideal if you really want to be miserable) which is a fairytale number for all but one model specific trim line of one specific model. That's the issue.

Look at Chicago and NYC this week, now that any Jill or Jim that qualifies for a $20k auto loan can buy a Model 3 (not to mention uber incentives and the rental car companies flooding the market) they just see "oh I have 100mi of range" then are stunned when car has 5% left after 20min of driving. They don't precondition, they often don't have home charging, they often make multiple stops in one day. So showing a magical number on the dashboard, divorced from reality is a massive problem. And it looks like the CT is the biggest offender, so if anyhting it's getting worse.
You are moving the goalpost.

That's how all Teslas work and have always worked. The trip planner will show you when you need to charge.

You're complaint is about Tesla, not the CT. Chill, it's just a truck.

Is this rust already?

Untitled.jpg

And for most of those years of driving gas cars they have been dealing with percentages. My Tesla was my first vehicle that had a prediction for range remaining, everything else has just had a gas gauge, Empty -> Full. (And they were never accurate or even linear. I've always had to learn how the gauge works in any given vehicle.)

Reactions: doghousePVD
So what you're saying is Tesla had no choice but to advertise a 320mi range? No choice but to go with a radical new material that is notoriously difficult to work with? Advertise it towing? Show a 320mi range on the dashbaord? Say it has 800v charging without building a single charger? That's what you're saying? Show it beating a Porsche 911 while towing a Prosche 911 in a 1/4 mile?

If I underestimate Tesla, I'm a hater. If I overestimate Tesla, I'm an idiot...
Victim complex? No one said any of those things.

Even when towing 10,000+ pounds, the dashbaord STILL SHOWS the FAKE EPA "Rated Range". Everyone wondering why there have been lines at superchargers for the past week!

Hey the Cyberturd gets almost 51 miles each way when towing in the cold. If your at 100% and run it down to zero.
wait, what of you leave it outside at night in the cold? How much does it drop then?

This video points out literally everything I've been saying. Tesla opted to make a rich kid's toy, that looks "cool", instead of a real world truck. They refuse to admit that the range is poor, they effectively have regulatory cpature over the EPA for these made up range numbers. They chose to ignore towing all together, no 800v superchargers, no space for trailers. 2 hours to charge from 0-70% at V2 cahrgers, 45min at V3.

Color me extremely disappointed.
Oh but it but it can beat a Porsche while towing a Porsche in a 1/4 race….. except it didn’t. Another Musk fabrication.

Reactions: HitchHiker71
Everyone did. Plenty of social media posts highlight ccs towing problems. Rivian has one stall per site, in one location that space is an exit for the parking lot to the main road. Imagine my surprise when being called out on it.

45min, on CCS? Dude, real world ccs charging is nothing like real world tesla charging. No lie, it’s taken me 2.5hrs for a 5-90% run on a good day. I’ve got at least a half hour of video footage showing sitting at different chargers while the handshake happens and the 350kW charger doesn’t max my 220kW R1S, but sits at 41kW or 67kW or some other form of whatever it wants.

on a trip of ours, Porsche was testing their Macan units, we’ve discussed this at length with the leads from battery and charging infrastructure teams.

Improvements are coming and like I’ve stated elsewhere, rather vocally, it’s (likely) due to the massive amount of subsidies to “fix” and “update” chargers. No surprise.
Ya ya ya.. improvements are coming soooooon.

Cone on what?
Teslas show EPA range * SOC in the corner or SOC if you switch views. They show estimated range based on driving conditions in the nav window. Cybertruck attempts to estimate based on trailer load and also adjusts regen.

Not that Cybertruck has anything to do with the recent lines at Superchargers.
It's hard to parse the specific issue of the Cybertruck being bad at towing and the general systemic/cultural issues with Tesla as a company.

As pointed out to me early, and as noted in the JerryRig video, Tesla has a range estimate lying problem in general. All but the one specific configuration of one specific model of Teslas cannot achieve their "rated range" in the real world. And now, with the Cybertruck, it seems like that displayed number is more disconnected from reality than any before it.

Side note: I am stilll baffled by people who defned this behavior from Tesla. Like why do you want the car to display a fake number? Display no number then! Or even better, do what Rivian and every other car, your phone, laptop, drones, wireless keyboards, etc do and try to predict remaing range/charge. It's not difficult, it's only not done in Teslas because of crappy corporate culture.

As pointed out to me early, and as noted in the JerryRig video, Tesla has a range estimate lying problem in general.
It's not lying.

All but the one specific configuration of one specific model of Teslas cannot achieve their "rated range" in the real world.
"Rated range" over what "test cycle"?

And now, with the Cybertruck, it seems like that displayed number is more disconnected from reality than any before it.
Given it can haul over double the amount of any other Tesla and over double its own weight of less aerodynamic cargo, why is deviation from non-towing range at all surprising?

Side note: I am stilll baffled by people who defned this behavior from Tesla. Like why do you want the car to display a fake number? Display no number then!
"Defend"? "Want"? Just switch to SOC, problem solved.

Or even better, do what Rivian and every other car, your phone, laptop, drones, wireless keyboards, etc do and try to predict remaing range/charge. It's not difficult, it's only not done in Teslas because of crappy corporate culture.
They do, on the nav/ planning screen as has already been pointed out.

I recall he complained the max estimated range didn't adjust after towing began. The tester claimed other EV tow vehicles did adjust max range.
In the video (I time stamped it above) they call out thst it displays both numbers. If the EPA range estimate offends, it can be switched to SOC so only the continuously updated nav version is shown. Problem solved?