Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck towing discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there any series hybrid out there? The only good hybrid I know are tundra iforce max and f150 powerboost, and they are both parallel hybrid, with batteries not much bigger than a golf cart.
VIA motors tried going down that path for a while.

Hyliion semi products are pretty cool and have a shot IMO. Multiple power sources (Fuel agnostic, including hydrogen) including karno made by GE (link).
Hybrid

via-erev-range-extended-electric-pickup_100375005_m.jpg

VIA-EREV-01.JPG

Reactions: Nack
Getting your figures from where?

I was referring to the Semi delivery event:

Speaking of v4 Megawatt charging "This is key for high power applications like semi" "It's gonna be used for the CT too"
At that point they were talking the new immersed conductor megawatt charge cable, not necessarily the connector.
New style pedestal is 1000V 615A max. Doable with v3 cabinets if their output modules can be placed in series.

Can't you just get a Hybrid? I have seen them out there
The F150 hybrid is a great option, and a possible "next" truck for me. You get the added torque from the electric motor which is important for towing, and the benefits of regenerative braking.
An EREV system like my Volt "could" make a lot of sense in a truck, if the economics & engineering work out. You gain efficiency when using it for your daily commute, but retain all the capability needed for your other tasks. I doubt anyone will build that however.

VIA motors tried going down that path for a while.

Hyliion semi products are pretty cool and have a shot IMO. Multiple power sources (Fuel agnostic, including hydrogen) including karno made by GE (link).
Hybrid

via-erev-range-extended-electric-pickup_100375005_m.jpg

VIA-EREV-01.JPG
First time hearing VIA. Hyliion sounds like they lost steam or something I haven't followed them in a while. I'm really rooting for CNG/LNG semis during the transition to full EV, like Cummins' natural gas conversion (or reused design) of current diesel engines. Those would be great engines without being limited by all those diesel exhaust treatment systems when they run on natural gas.

The F150 hybrid is a great option, and a possible "next" truck for me. You get the added torque from the electric motor which is important for towing, and the benefits of regenerative braking.
An EREV system like my Volt "could" make a lot of sense in a truck, if the economics & engineering work out. You gain efficiency when using it for your daily commute, but retain all the capability needed for your other tasks. I doubt anyone will build that however.
Currently powerboost F150 suffer from low 5th wheel/gooseneck capacity on the 4x4. Hope Ford address it in the coming years, while putting a larger battery pack in there.
(Current model year F150 5.0 and 3.5Ecoboost are maxed out at around 13k for both conventional tow and 5th/Goose, 3.5Powerboost is 12k/8.3k for conventional and 5th/Goose)

Hyliion sounds like they lost steam or something I haven't followed them in a while. I'm really rooting for CNG/LNG semis during the transition to full EV, like Cummins' natural gas conversion (or reused design) of current diesel engines.
Re: lost steam.
Unclear what that is based on. Pretty regular news. The GE (GE Additive) deal seemed like a big deal. You would expect that GE did high quality research and dev on it.

About 1 month ago: 02-May-2023
>>
“At Hyliion, we are delivering practical solutions that cater to fleets’ current needs while continually developing cutting-edge products that seize the opportunities of tomorrow,” commented Thomas Healy, Founder and CEO of Hyliion. “While our focus remains on the 2023 production launch of the Hypertruck ERX™, a renewable natural gas electric range extender powertrain, we are also developing the Hypertruck KARNO as part of our transition to offer fleets fuel flexibility,” Healy added.

The KARNO generator is expected to show an improvement in fuel efficiency and a significantly lower emissions profile versus conventional generators. It will also be capable of operating on over 20 different fuels including hydrogen, natural gas, propane, ammonia and conventional fuels.

Hyliion acquired the KARNO generator technology from GE Additive last August [2022] to provide a next-generation generator for integration into its powertrain platform and to be used for distributed grid stationary power applications. The KARNO technology is a linear motor heat generator that leverages advanced 3D metal printed components and proprietary flameless oxidation technology to produce clean electricity.
<<

Adding portable battery capacity to a truck bed will consume payload capacity in a major way. Adding battery capacity to a trailer will likely increase the tongue weight, also affecting payload, in addition to less stuff which you can put in the trailer. In both cases, adding $20k in batteries which will also degrade with time, will require replacement, and won’t be used daily makes little sense to me.

A diesel generator in the bed to provide extra energy makes a lot more sense than batteries, and weighs less, however that with the fuel will also decrease available payload, and needs to be factored in. You’ll also need to be able to get it in and out.

But the best solution is to simply choose the right tool for your job. If you do long distance towing, just buy a gas or diesel truck. Multi-car families can own the best of both worlds.
I agree. I delivered Travel Trailers out of Indiana for 6 years, and will tell you that a good diesel 3500/F350 is the way to go for cross country deliveries. I put 300,000 miles on my Ram3500 dually in 2 years doing it before going to a big rig with trailer, delivering smaller units in multiples. I think the Cybertruck competes with the F150/1500 pickup range and those are limited to trailer weights of about 14000 pounds at the top end. Most states only allow trailer weights of 10000 pounds with a Class C license. I think we will see a F350/3500 equivalent Cybertruck model in years to come that will compete well. Tesla obviously has the technology with the Tesla Semi to put together a heavier class Pick Up Truck. The problem is going to be keeping the GCWR under 26000 pounds which will need significant battery technology improvement to make it feasible. If you want to tow a big 5th wheel, your only option is still a good diesel pick up.

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200
There is a big gap between the Cybertruck and the Tesla Semi. I wonder if Tesla will ever produce something like a mini Semi or a beefup Cybertruck.
There is very little difference in the powertrain between the semi and the CT. The Beast is likely software limited for power and does not have the clutches. As demonstrated the beast can clearly can pull better than a F350, but they just need top keep it legal for a normal licence. A software/regulatory update would be sufficient to market what you want.

• Disagree
Reactions: GoldCountryCA
The Super Duty Trucks have up to a conventional tow hitch rating of 21k. Tesla derated the towing on the Cybertruck from 14k. Is it because of the suspension? The unibody frame rails or a combination of both? Can't wait to see pictures of how the hitch is mounted.

There is very little difference in the powertrain between the semi and the CT. The Beast is likely software limited for power and does not have the clutches. As demonstrated the beast can clearly can pull better than a F350, but they just need top keep it legal for a normal licence. A software/regulatory update would be sufficient to market what you want.
Powertrain has very little to do with tow capacity. Frame, suspension, other structural/load-bearing components wheelbase, and brakes are pretty much all of it.

Think about this, a 1970’s f350 was rated to tow >10k lbs and was <150hp.

And pulling is way different then towing. Anyone remember the Ford ad from the 80’s with the truck pulling like 500k lbs of logs? Or the Tundra pulling the space shuttle?

Last edited:
Are you sure about this? IIRC the Semi is using the hairpin PM motors and actual differentials that can disengage once up to speed. The trimotor CT is using induction motors in the rear and a single PM motor in the front - which I don't believe is a hairpin motor either. The Semi uses three hairpin PMM's along with differentials that can disengage up to two out of the three PMMs once the Semi is up to speed. The trimotors that have dual induction motors in the rear can effectively disengage due to the inherent induction motor design - but aren't as efficient as the hairpin PMMs - though they're cheaper to make since they don't use rare metals in comparison.

The Super Duty Trucks have up to a conventional tow hitch rating of 21k. Tesla derated the towing on the Cybertruck from 14k. Is it because of the suspension? The unibody frame rails or a combination of both? Can't wait to see pictures of how the hitch is mounted.
Picture is right rear of Cybertruck at the delivery event.
Saw this in a DirtyTesla video.
RR5BV1w.jpg

Are you sure about this? IIRC the Semi is using the hairpin PM motors and actual differentials that can disengage once up to speed. The trimotor CT is using induction motors in the rear and a single PM motor in the front - which I don't believe is a hairpin motor either. The Semi uses three hairpin PMM's along with differentials that can disengage up to two out of the three PMMs once the Semi is up to speed. The trimotors that have dual induction motors in the rear can effectively disengage due to the inherent induction motor design - but aren't as efficient as the hairpin PMMs - though they're cheaper to make since they don't use rare metals in comparison.

Semi has a single motor axle with differential and a dual motor axle with clutches.

Agree Cybertruck has non-clutched induction on rear of Beast and an electrically locking front differential.

Dual has front induction, rear SRPM and both have e-locking diffs.

Reactions: HitchHiker71
In the Top Gear Cybertruck review video the towing controls were shown briefly. Apparently the CT comes standard with a trailer brake controller, like many trucks, which I was glad to see. (I have been towing a 17 ft 2,000 lb RV trailer for six years with my Model X using a Tekonsha P2 brake controller since the X does not come with a controller)

I’m not sure what the “Adaptive Regenerative Braking” on/off control does. Maybe it modifies the CT regenerative braking level to allow for increased braking force when towing?

IMG_0451.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m not sure what the “Adaptive Regenerative Braking” on/off control does. Maybe it modifies the CT regenerative braking level to allow for increased braking force when towing?
Guessing the truck figures out how much regen it can get away with without engaging trailer brakes. Whereas standard operation is just trailer braking force proportional to deceleration.