Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Honest review of the Cybertruck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So you’ve driven other trucks and while driving those you thought to yourself: “if only the rear wheels would turn, and I didn’t have to turn the steering wheel all the way when making U-Turns”

The CT doesn’t handle any better than the Lightning or Rivian, it doesn’t ride better. But if you making U-Turns all day , I guess it makes a difference.

Just stop with the nonsense. Your just worried about your T$LA.
you do turn a vehicle a lot, besides going straight, so yes steering is important
test of Tesla vs Tesla vehicles, Ram
1710173040523.png

also F150, diff measurement method
According to its manual, the Tesla Cybertruck has a curb-to-curb turning radius of 43.5 ft. This is 9% better than the Ford F-150, which has a turning radius of 47.8 ft

you do turn a vehicle a lot, besides going straight, so yes steering is important
test of Tesla vs Tesla vehicles, Ram
View attachment 1026685
also F150, diff measurement method
According to its manual, the Tesla Cybertruck has a curb-to-curb turning radius of 43.5 ft. This is 9% better than the Ford F-150, which has a turning radius of 47.8 ft

It's not the "game changer" you think it is. Yes, steering is important, Turning radius in the Truck World, not so much. And given Car and Drivers recent skidpad numbers, the Lightning and Rivian both likely handler better than the Cybertruck.

Reactions: TessP100D
thanks
Hummer EV must drive like a truck, which is an acquired taste
Hummer is a beast and not sure a fair comparison, not sure what is a fair comparison
The CT is as unique to the truck industry as the Hummer is in each of their own right, def different

F150 Lightening, like a traditional PU but EV, statement work
R1T, sporty, small, statement nimble and fun
CT, unique, large bed, part work truck, innovative paradigm shift, amazing, statement innovative
Hummer EV, monster, beast, unique, statement beast

The CT is as unique as a Ridgeline is to the small truck world.

It's not the "game changer" you think it is. Yes, steering is important, Turning radius in the Truck World, not so much. And given Car and Drivers recent skidpad numbers, the Lightning and Rivian both likely handler better than the Cybertruck.
agree, they each have their market match
if I am in the market for a pure work BEV truck, long bed, the Lightening is the one to get, especially that now L3 charging has been solved for Ford
if I am in the market for a weekend run around truck, bed size is not priority, and the Tesla ecosystem is not a factor, then the R1T is the truck
if I am in the market for a part work truck, part fun, innovative, Tesla ecosystem, then the CT is the truck

were debating a comparison, they dont compare, each truck has its buyer

the OP was looking for an honest review, think that list for the gen 1 CT is accurate
need to do a long term test drive and see if the gen 1 shortcomings outweigh the gen 1 innovative advances

if I am in the market for a pure work BEV truck, long bed, the Lightening is the one to get, especially that now L3 charging has been solved for Ford
if I am in the market for a weekend run around truck, bed size is not priority, and the Tesla ecosystem is not a factor, then the R1T is the truck
if I am in the market for a part work truck, part fun, innovative, Tesla ecosystem, then the CT is the truck

the OP was looking for an honest review, think that list for the gen 1 CT is accurate
need to do a long term test drive and see if the gen 1 shortcomings outweigh the gen 1 innovative advances

The problem is you don't want there to be a comparison but the only one you can't compare to a Rivian or Lightning is the Cyberbeast and that's only due to the 0-60. Everything else the Cybertruck falls short or just about the same. Who said the Lightning or Rivian are "Part fun"? What is this Tesla Ecosystem you speak of?

I will say out of all three the only collectible is the Cybertruck. It's the only one I believe decades from now people will want to buy and keep as a collectors item.

The problem is you don't want there to be a comparison but the only one you can't compare to a Rivian or Lightning is the Cyberbeast and that's only due to the 0-60. Everything else the Cybertruck falls short or just about the same. Who said the Lightning or Rivian are "Part fun"? What is this Tesla Ecosystem you speak of?

I will say out of all three the only collectible is the Cybertruck. It's the only one I believe decades from now people will want to buy and keep as a collectors item.
im an R1T fan, but the shorter bed makes it part fun, in my opinion of course
Tesla ecosystem is the app, supercharging, Tesla energy, V2L, etc, innovation inside of the Tesla solutions

Reactions: T3SLAROD
Thanks for your review. I am glad you think it looks great in person at least.

Question, would your opinion change at all if the same AWD truck cost $60K (or less with rebate)?

For me, based on the reviews/videos, there is a lot to like, but I am not paying $100,000. Pricing, imo, can dramatically affect a review, different expectations at different prices. My Model Y is a "pos" at $60k plus, but at $40k (with rebate) it's an amazing value and a great vehicle.
60k is still too much money! It feels too fragile. I need a truck. Something made tough. I mean, it couldn't follow a brand new Tacoma TRD Pro or Gladiator or Sierra AT4 on a trail... and you can buy them for 60k brand new. So the value proposition is poor.

but where's your pictures with/in the rented Cybertruck? tick ......tock.....tick......tock :cool: :p
It is absolutely a ‘flex’ truck. Many of his points are valid. Many could be said of each of the available competing EV trucks.
The WT rides bad when unloaded, unibody with subframes. Has CarPlay / android auto, over 200kWh pack

Rivian has weak components, problems with service, no media while charging, no CarPlay/AA 135kWh

Ford has interesting post accident photos, trailing arm rear suspension. 150kW ccs, 130kWh in largest offering.

Attachments

• IMG_6450.jpeg
    IMG_6450.jpeg
    107.1 KB · Views: 16
What’s an “honest review” vs an opinion?

"honest review" in this thread title is simply Buzz words. No different than the OP of this thread creating another thread with "Things they dont want you to know".

Those are two of the most clickbait terms ever, so anyone that uses them deliberately is basically annoucing "clickbait inc".

Or could it be that I was an active user on another Tesla forum, and got banned for written the above review, and decided that maybe a few of you would care reading it? Grow up.

We tend to be more tolerant here than other subforums, but NO forum is "free speech". Additionally, we dont allow personal attacks, and its a quick way to get banned here especially if the content comes across as something other than discussion.

So, im warning you not to engage in personal attacks. Since, in general, when I am posting its as a regular member unless I specifically call out different, I will note that this waring is coming from me with a mod hat on.

guys, be civil, different vehicles for different folks
its not about EV model Z verses EV model W, its EVs vs ICEv/PHEVs
we need the best EVs for the different likes and move away from these vehicles that have gas engines in side

The Cybertruck is a Piece of *sugar* for so many reasons. Unsure why you think this is ridiculous, since you never driven one, and you probably never driven much other trucks either? I mean... You gotta call a spade a spade.

The Cybertruck wasn't ready for release. Ban me. Cancel me. I don't care. The truth remains very clear, once you start driving one!
Although I agree with your final assessment I believe to give a better review you need to spend a few weeks behind the wheel of the CT.

My biggest beef with the CT, without having driven one, is the longer charge time at a supercharger, the price, and the fact that is really can't do much "truck" stuff. I have a Y which is awesome and a diesel truck to do truck stuff.

Is the Cybertruck for everyone? No, of course not. But neither is any other vehicles.

I have been eyeballing Hummer EV SUV's as prices are falling and inventory stacking for new ones on lots. BUT the high voltage battery replacements, software issues between the app and the vehicle, sensor/software issues within the vehicle, need for updating physical sensors and hardware in the vehicles shortly after taking delivery, etc. show me that GM is experiencing not unexpected teething issues for a first-gen EV. And their owners are suffering.

Is the Model X for everyone? No, it's a glorified minivan and couldn't be farther from a SUV. But there are a heck of a lot of minivans in the world but most are not fully electric nor do they have charging infrastructure, tightly integrated software/apps and those Falcon Wing doors (love them or hate them). I had a Model X Performance Ludicrous for about five weeks and found the A pillars were poorly design for my sightlines and actively blocked my view as a driver of pedestrians in crosswalks. Couple that with the need for new front halfshafts just a few weeks in and the fact I couldn't see the front corners of the vehicle no matter how high I raised the driver's seat - I'm 5'10" and never had this problem in another vehicle in 30+ years of driving literally dozens, if not 100+, cars - and that was it, the X was gone.

But I love my Model S Plaid, despite the misaligned trim it's an absolute beast that could use more brakes.

So like the Cybertruck, hate the Cybertruck, it doesn't have to be for you. Ultimately as car nuts all we want are a range of choices at prices that we can stomach. I was far more excited about the $60K dual-motor in 2019 than I am about the $100K dual-motor Foundation in 2024, but thank both political parties for printing dollars and stimulating aggressive inflation leading to high interest rates.

I've been fortunate enough to see a Cybertruck behind ropes (thanks King of Prussia Mall) and it's quite an engineering feat to behold. I once owned a Porsche 911 Turbo and that's another engineering marvel. You could go on Rennlist and complain about the lack of rear legroom, not enough storage space for a Costco run, the stiff suspension, and how the wide tires track every rut on the highway -- but once you spool up the flat six behind you the rest of it just doesn't matter.

Thanks for sharing your perspectives and best of luck with whatever vehicle suits your needs best.

I see 1-2 Cybertrucks per day here in Austin TX and have examined them up close when parked.

Using my eyes, knowing the actual size of the battery pack and therefore able to predict real world range, looking at the (typical for Tesla) build quality, understanding the downsides of the SS exterior, the repair costs and delays associated with all Tesla's but this one in particular, the absolute spartan interior and features (seriously, where is the value), the soon to be elevated insurance costs, etc. I just can't see why any normal person would purchase the CT. Do you need to be starred at, absolutely everywhere you drive, that badly?

It's obviously not really a truck. It obviously will not save you a dime. It looks ridiculous and they all look exactly the same so any uniqueness in the beginning will be so gone so very soon. Realize that every other truck has different bed and cab configurations, different trim levels & of course different colors creating thousands of variations before you move on to the massive aftermarket. The F150 I own is the best vehicle sold, yet the particular model/ color/ wheel combo mine was built at the factory with, I've never seen even one other one like this for example.

If you are Kim Kardashian, or a famous rapper, or Joe Rogan, and this $140K purchase is like going to 'Outback Steakhouse dinner' on a Tuesday money for you and you just don't give a sh*t, sure why the eff not? But a normal person with at least average math skills? Yah, I just don't get it.

Unless you are one of the select few that might be able to flip one of the very first CTs, this will be the greatest depreciating mass produced vehicle in history. Even beating out, the other Tesla's that already hold this distinction. You will NEVER save money in gasoline in a way that offsets the accumulated loss of buying one of these new.

Last edited:
I see 1-2 Cybertrucks per day here in Austin TX and have examined them up close when parked.

Using my eyes, knowing the actual size of the battery pack and therefore able to predict real world range, looking at the (typical for Tesla) build quality, understanding the downsides of the SS exterior, the repair costs and delays associated with all Tesla's but this one in particular, the absolute spartan interior and features (seriously, where is the value), the soon to be elevated insurance costs, etc. I just can't see why any normal person would purchase the CT. Do you need to be starred at, absolutely everywhere you drive, that badly?

It's obviously not really a truck. It obviously will not save you a dime. It looks ridiculous and they all look exactly the same so any uniqueness in the beginning will be so gone so soon.

If you are Kim Kardashian, or a famous rapper, or Joe Rogan, and this $140K purchase is like going to 'Outback Steakhouse dinner' on a Tuesday money for you and you just don't give a sh*t, sure why the eff not? But a normal person with at least average math skills? Yah, I just don't get it.

Unless you are one of the handfuls that might be able to flip one of the very first CTs, this will be the greatest depreciating mass produced vehicle in history. Even beating out, the other Tesla's that already hold this distinction. You will NEVER save money in gasoline in a way that offsets this loss.

Flipping and Collecting is the only reason.

Tesla won't sale many past the Fan Bois and will eventually discontinue it. So it will become the most collectible Tesla out there, maybe the only one.

Now that I think about it, I might get one just to store it away.

Reactions: Suns_PSD

It's obviously not really a truck. It obviously will not save you a dime. It looks ridiculous and they all look exactly the same so any uniqueness in the beginning will be so gone so very soon. Realize that every other truck has different bed and cab configurations, different trim levels & of course different colors creating thousands of variations before you move on to the massive aftermarket. The F150 I own is the best vehicle sold, yet the particular model/ color/ wheel combo mine was built at the factory with, I've never seen even one other one like this for example.

Unless you are one of the select few that might be able to flip one of the very first CTs, this will be the greatest depreciating mass produced vehicle in history. Even beating out, the other Tesla's that already hold this distinction. You will NEVER save money in gasoline in a way that offsets the accumulated loss of buying one of these new.
vehicles like the cybertruck definitely appeal to people that want a unique vehicle, dont knock them as they will think of maybe your style, buying an F150 and they say boring
its the old different strokes for different...

for those like myself, I've had landcruisers and wranglers for years, 7 in total, and now addicted to the Tesla ecosystem, I want to go back off road, running on the beach with an EV truck, sorry truck
Ive sat inside and done the long walk around with the Cybertruck, its my unique Tesla vehicle

so in summary, you have to be a true Tesla person, want a off road truck and will be very satisfied with the Cybertruck

Reactions: Suns_PSD

Interesting description of the Lightning to say "long bed" when they won't even sell the Lightning with any other cab or bed configurations than the CCSB (that's Crew Cab Short Bed in F150 speak). Getting harder and harder to find, but you can still get a SuperCab and RegCab long bed with an 8' bed in their gas trucks. Like the Raptor and other specialty trims, just not enough volume to warrant making any other bed/cab configurations I guess.