Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

F-150 Lightning Thoughts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I traded in my Model 3 for an F-150 Lightning (Lariat trim level). I still have my old Model S. Thought I would provide some unbiased impressions, as I don't favor any one company over another for EVs currently.

I was interested in getting an EV pickup truck. Prior to buying, I was impressed that Ford actually made a real EV truck. It's just like an F-150 gas truck in a lot of ways, has many of the same benefits, has competitive price, competitive battery size and range.

I don't like the odd styling of the Cybertruck, nor do I like the move towards no stalks and non-circular steering wheels. I was also concerned that the side of the truck bed on the Cybertruck would be problematic for things like skid loaders trying to dump a load of mulch or gravel in the back. I don't really know if that's a problem or not, as no one has reviewed it in that way, but it was one of my concerns.

Charging was a concern, but not a large one. On charging, Cybertruck has the advantage, but the advantage is closing. Living in Missouri, Tesla used to be the only option for travel charging. Now there are CCS options like Electrify America; still not nearly as good as Tesla, but at least it's there. I also don't plan on using the truck for travel that much. And it is currently thought that, as Ford moves to using NACS and Tesla stations, there will be an adapter available to support CCS equipped vehicles. If that holds, the F-150 will eventually be able to use the Tesla superchargers.

I've now had the F-150 for a couple of weeks. Some of my observations about it, having had it for a bit now.

1) The software, not surprisingly, is not as good as Tesla. When I first tried to set a charging limit for home, I had to get out the manual and also Google it before I fully understood it. I had to first set up a "location" for home before I could set a charging limit. But I couldn't set up a "location" until after I had first charged there, which is super annoying. So I had to fiddle around trying to charge just long enough for it to recognize my home as a charging location before I could add it as a charging location, all so I could set a charging limit. Major pain in the you know what. I also set up a charge schedule while I was at it. But then I discovered there was no way to easily override the location settings; there is no "just start charging now" button you can press if you want to override and immediately charge. PITA. Tesla definitely better on software. WITH ONE EXCEPTION -- for those who want it, the F-150 does have Apple CarPlay or whatever it's called, and I think it has the Android version also.

2) With my family, the insurance rate was just a hair cheaper than it was for the Tesla Model 3 Performance.

3) It's nice not having to worry about scraping the front (or back) on curbs anymore. That's not a F-150 vs Cybertruck thing, just a nice consequence of finally having a truck again instead of all cars.

4) The ride is comfortable, if just a bit floaty.

5) It's super nice having a frunk on a truck. It's so much more appreciated than a frunk on a car. The frunk of the Model 3 was a novelty. The frunk on the F-150 is a true feature, both for giving a truck actual covered storage and because of it's large size.

6) Gas trucks always sound like they are about to have a hernia when accelerating. Moreso than cars, I think the quiet acceleration of an EV really sells for a truck.

7) I feel just a little guilty driving such a big vehicle. It's huge compared to the cars I've owned. It barely fits in my large garage. The tires are 275s. They look like normal tires from afar, but they are so big overall that they are actually 275s, as wide as beefy Corvette tires in sectional width. It's crazy. But everyone in Missouri has a truck this big, so I guess I'm just normal now. It feels a lot bigger than the old 90's F-150 I was borrowing several times a year prior to buying my own. Not sure if it actually is or not.

8) I have a parking sensor that is constantly thinking something is in front of it and making noises and throwing up error messages. Well, I guess it's a Ford. Trying to get it fixed. But at least the A/C probably won't smell like vinegar.

9) The F-150 moon roof available on the higher trim F-150s is really nice. It can open much like an early Model S pano roof, but it also has a powered cover/shade on the underside of it. I love it.

10) The rear seat A/C vents suck. They barely work. You have to block a lot of the front vents to get it to have enough pressure to have noticeable output on the rear vents.

11) A pet peeve of mine on newer vehicles if not having spare tires. The F-150 Lightning has a spare tire, and I like that.

12) The backup sound on the F-150 Lightning is kind of annoying, but it could be worse. Tesla has a better backup sound.

Overall, I like this truck, and am happy with it so far. The Model 3 was a good car, but I have no regrets. I still have the S when I want some Tesla fun. Some day I'd like to get a long range travel EV; I would probably trade up my 2014 Model S P85 for something that could get 350 highway miles, but there is still nothing really available that meets that objective. I'd also be sad to see my old S go, as it has some cool features you can't get on a Tesla anymore, plus is grandfathered into free connectivity and supercharging which is super nice.

If I encounter more noteworthy observations, I'll come back here and post them.
3580517714_17f3f3dbd8_b (1).jpg

Last edited:
I have not driven a Lightning, but everything I've seen suggests it's the best EV truck for doing truck things. Mainly because it's based on the most popular truck for doing truck things.

But it's just SO LARGE. I honestly don't think it would fit in my garage. Certainly not comfortably.

Did you give any consideration to the Rivian R1T?

Reactions: gtae07
I have not driven a Lightning, but everything I've seen suggests it's the best EV truck for doing truck things. Mainly because it's based on the most popular truck for doing truck things.

But it's just SO LARGE. I honestly don't think it would fit in my garage. Certainly not comfortably.

Did you give any consideration to the Rivian R1T?
Yes. I watched a few reviews and comparisons that included the Rivian R1T, but decided on the F-150 for a few reasons. One being I could get an F-150 before the end of the year and lock in a tax credit, but a few other reasons as well. The F-150 has a slightly longer bed. Another example is that I was a bit concerned about the hinge issue described at 5:10 in this video review:
. That part of the review also has a hilarious sound effect so it's worth watching. But anyway, at least a couple times I year I seem to haul some sort of loose gravel, mulch, or other stuff in a truck for some reason, so it was a concern. I like the frunk better on the F-150. I also live in Ford/Chevy truck land, so it's much easier to get parts, repairs, etc for a Ford than it would be for a Rivian. I could have still been sold on a Rivian if it had features that really impressed me over the Ford, but there was not enough of that to sway my choice.

This thread interests me because I was just thinking of trading in my Model 3 for a Lightning as I think a pickup would suit my needs better than a sedan. Not right away, I'd like to wait until it can use Tesla superchargers, or until non-tesla fast chargers become a lot more common. I've done a lot of road trips with my 3 and plan to continue (my girlfriend loves road tripping) and don't think it would be nearly as easy with a non-tesla.

I also think the F-150 is just a bit too big, I'd be happy if they made an electric Ranger (which I hear rumors about).

Reactions: KJD and gtae07
This thread interests me because I was just thinking of trading in my Model 3 for a Lightning as I think a pickup would suit my needs better than a sedan. Not right away, I'd like to wait until it can use Tesla superchargers, or until non-tesla fast chargers become a lot more common. I've done a lot of road trips with my 3 and plan to continue (my girlfriend loves road tripping) and don't think it would be nearly as easy with a non-tesla.

I also think the F-150 is just a bit too big, I'd be happy if they made an electric Ranger (which I hear rumors about).
There are also rumors of the F-150 shipping with an NACS adapter starting around Feb or March. Would be very tempting if that turns out to be true.

How does F150 L compare in terms of drive assist features? Especially on unmapped highways and rural roads?

I do have a Cybertruck reserved but I am probably 4 years away (a good thing as we will be retired by then). We will use the truck purely for travelling purpose, so I will probably end up carrying some kind of light RV setup that doesn't compromise much range. I have no bias towards Cybertruck - I have every intention to re-compare all options when it is time to buy.

For now, we sleep in MY and that's ok because we aren't retired yet.

How does F150 L compare in terms of drive assist features? Especially on unmapped highways and rural roads?

I do have a Cybertruck reserved but I am probably 4 years away (a good thing as we will be retired by then). We will use the truck purely for travelling purpose, so I will probably end up carrying some kind of light RV setup that doesn't compromise much range. I have no bias towards Cybertruck - I have every intention to re-compare all options when it is time to buy.

Ford has it's version of traffic aware cruise control and lane centering, and then it also has BlueCruise. BlueCruise is the hands off driver assist, but it's only functional for mapped highways, so you wouldn't be able to use BlueCruise on unmapped highways and rural roads. However, you could still use the cruise control with lane centering. And, I don't know, that seems awfully similar to the BlueCruise, other than you are supposed to keep hands on the wheel, and there might be a lower limit to how much it helps steer as compared to BlueCruise, but I haven't really tested that aspect of it. I need to get out on the road and give it some test scenarios to see how it performs without BlueCruise.

BlueCruise also does not do lane changes, but I think they are planning on adding that capability at some point.

I also have a Lightning Lariat since January last year. I love my Tesla's, but Ford Blue Cruise beats anything Tesla currently has to offer. Better than EAP - no phantom braking or +5mph max speed and tracks very well. Also, hands free on the freeway. If Tesla would add Lane Change Confirmation to FSDb (until they fix the random lane change problem) I think I would prefer it to BlueCruise but in it's current state it loses soundly. I just use EAP or TACC when in the Tesla's.

I had a lightning lariat and I liked it a lot. I agree suspensions was a bit floaty but overall it was great and I did a long distance road trip in and it was great on the highway. I’d say blue cruise was ok, it confused now and again, but performed well overall. I sold when my Rivian arrived to a friend who really wanted it at a time when they were difficult to get. It’s comfortable, looks good and has reasonable utility.

I also have a Lightning Lariat since January last year. I love my Tesla's, but Ford Blue Cruise beats anything Tesla currently has to offer. Better than EAP - no phantom braking or +5mph max speed and tracks very well. Also, hands free on the freeway. If Tesla would add Lane Change Confirmation to FSDb (until they fix the random lane change problem) I think I would prefer it to BlueCruise but in it's current state it loses soundly. I just use EAP or TACC when in the Tesla's.
If you use FSD with MLC on, wouldn't that kinda fix the random lane change issue?

I've now driven many kms of roads in North East/East/South Eastern regions and have been very happy with FSD. We don't tend to drive into major cities as our preference of travel is nature and hiking in major parks and botanical gardens. Perhaps that's why we are more satisfied with the performance of FSD than average Tesla owners. I know FSD performs worse in Toronto areas as well.

Complete hands free isn't a big deal for me, as I like to keep one hand on the wheel most of the time - I just feel safer that way. It's quite comfy having one hand one the wheel and look away from the road in front for few seconds at a time, usually watching views in new areas. So much less fatigue.

Ford is switching to NACS, so Lightening could be one of the cars we can consider next in few years. We are even considering ID Buzz LWB as well. We plan to visit South East regions for months at a time eventually, and I don't think MY will be sufficient for that purpose.

I had a lightning lariat and I liked it a lot. I agree suspensions was a bit floaty but overall it was great and I did a long distance road trip in and it was great on the highway. I’d say blue cruise was ok, it confused now and again, but performed well overall. I sold when my Rivian arrived to a friend who really wanted it at a time when they were difficult to get. It’s comfortable, looks good and has reasonable utility.
Do you have enough experience to compare recent versions of FSD vs Blue Cruise? Especially on non-mapped rural highways?

If you use FSD with MLC on, wouldn't that kinda fix the random lane change issue?

I've now driven many kms of roads in North East/East/South Eastern regions and have been very happy with FSD. We don't tend to drive into major cities as our preference of travel is nature and hiking in major parks and botanical gardens. Perhaps that's why we are more satisfied with the performance of FSD than average Tesla owners. I know FSD performs worse in Toronto areas as well.

Complete hands free isn't a big deal for me, as I like to keep one hand on the wheel most of the time - I just feel safer that way. It's quite comfy having one hand one the wheel and look away from the road in front for few seconds at a time, usually watching views in new areas. So much less fatigue.

Ford is switching to NACS, so Lightening could be one of the cars we can consider next in few years. We are even considering ID Buzz LWB as well. We plan to visit South East regions for months at a time eventually, and I don't think MY will be sufficient for that purpose.
In my experience MLC has no impact on the frequency of the random lane changes on surface streets. It seems to only impact freeway driving and FSDb works great there with MLC on. If not for BlueCruise being hands-free I would give FSDb the win for freeway. Half of my commute, however, is on surface streets and that is where it is a big "No" for me due to the erratic behavior.

Reactions: Genie and JohnB007
Another thought to add about the F-150 Lightning. About it's general largeness. I have a reasonably sized suburban home with a 3 car garage, and it just BARELY fits in the garage, and it doesn't fit nicely. It's like just a few inches from the front wall and the garage door, and the support pole in the center of the garage gets in the way a bit too when opening doors. And it only clears the garage door vertically by a few inches as well. If you are thinking of getting something like the F-150 and don't currently have experience with such a large vehicle, maybe see if you can borrow one or take an extended test drive to see how it fits in your parking space. I can make it work in my garage, but it's less than ideal. I can't really get into the frunk with it fully in the garage, and I don't like parking vehicles half way in, so I end up parking outside to load/unload the frunk. So that could be better. It would help to have a longer than average garage.

I really don't want to park outside during the winter due to snow fall. Lol

Our garage has a double width door, and 22ft length. We only use one car, so hopefully that's enough for most pickups...
For reference, I did a rough measurement, and the F-150 Lightning is somewhere between 19' and 20' long. It's probably about 19'4".

My garage, by comparison, has 1x 19' bay and 2x 21' bays. So it literally doesn't fit in the 3rd bay, and just barely fits in the 1st and 2nd bays. I can't even have something hanging on the front wall; I have to keep the garage completely clear front to back for it to fit.

What's weird is I live in large truck country (Missouri, where everyone has either an F-150, Chevy Suburban, or larger), so you would think they would have made the garages quite large. I wonder if garages in other parts of the country would be too small.

For reference, I did a rough measurement, and the F-150 Lightning is somewhere between 19' and 20' long. It's probably about 19'4".

My garage, by comparison, has 1x 19' bay and 2x 21' bays. So it literally doesn't fit in the 3rd bay, and just barely fits in the 1st and 2nd bays. I can't even have something hanging on the front wall; I have to keep the garage completely clear front to back for it to fit.

What's weird is I live in large truck country (Missouri, where everyone has either an F-150, Chevy Suburban, or larger), so you would think they would have made the garages quite large. I wonder if garages in other parts of the country would be too small.
Most of the houses here are built with garages 20ft in length. Ours is a bit larger because we asked them to build it that way, thinking some day, we may end up with a 20ft pickup.

We always had a dream of traveling in a light RV setup once we retire, and this was going to be our last home... 😁