Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

F-150 Lightning Thoughts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I traded in my Model 3 for an F-150 Lightning (Lariat trim level). I still have my old Model S. Thought I would provide some unbiased impressions, as I don't favor any one company over another for EVs currently.

I was interested in getting an EV pickup truck. Prior to buying, I was impressed that Ford actually made a real EV truck. It's just like an F-150 gas truck in a lot of ways, has many of the same benefits, has competitive price, competitive battery size and range.

I don't like the odd styling of the Cybertruck, nor do I like the move towards no stalks and non-circular steering wheels. I was also concerned that the side of the truck bed on the Cybertruck would be problematic for things like skid loaders trying to dump a load of mulch or gravel in the back. I don't really know if that's a problem or not, as no one has reviewed it in that way, but it was one of my concerns.

Charging was a concern, but not a large one. On charging, Cybertruck has the advantage, but the advantage is closing. Living in Missouri, Tesla used to be the only option for travel charging. Now there are CCS options like Electrify America; still not nearly as good as Tesla, but at least it's there. I also don't plan on using the truck for travel that much. And it is currently thought that, as Ford moves to using NACS and Tesla stations, there will be an adapter available to support CCS equipped vehicles. If that holds, the F-150 will eventually be able to use the Tesla superchargers.

I've now had the F-150 for a couple of weeks. Some of my observations about it, having had it for a bit now.

1) The software, not surprisingly, is not as good as Tesla. When I first tried to set a charging limit for home, I had to get out the manual and also Google it before I fully understood it. I had to first set up a "location" for home before I could set a charging limit. But I couldn't set up a "location" until after I had first charged there, which is super annoying. So I had to fiddle around trying to charge just long enough for it to recognize my home as a charging location before I could add it as a charging location, all so I could set a charging limit. Major pain in the you know what. I also set up a charge schedule while I was at it. But then I discovered there was no way to easily override the location settings; there is no "just start charging now" button you can press if you want to override and immediately charge. PITA. Tesla definitely better on software. WITH ONE EXCEPTION -- for those who want it, the F-150 does have Apple CarPlay or whatever it's called, and I think it has the Android version also.

2) With my family, the insurance rate was just a hair cheaper than it was for the Tesla Model 3 Performance.

3) It's nice not having to worry about scraping the front (or back) on curbs anymore. That's not a F-150 vs Cybertruck thing, just a nice consequence of finally having a truck again instead of all cars.

4) The ride is comfortable, if just a bit floaty.

5) It's super nice having a frunk on a truck. It's so much more appreciated than a frunk on a car. The frunk of the Model 3 was a novelty. The frunk on the F-150 is a true feature, both for giving a truck actual covered storage and because of it's large size.

6) Gas trucks always sound like they are about to have a hernia when accelerating. Moreso than cars, I think the quiet acceleration of an EV really sells for a truck.

7) I feel just a little guilty driving such a big vehicle. It's huge compared to the cars I've owned. It barely fits in my large garage. The tires are 275s. They look like normal tires from afar, but they are so big overall that they are actually 275s, as wide as beefy Corvette tires in sectional width. It's crazy. But everyone in Missouri has a truck this big, so I guess I'm just normal now. It feels a lot bigger than the old 90's F-150 I was borrowing several times a year prior to buying my own. Not sure if it actually is or not.

8) I have a parking sensor that is constantly thinking something is in front of it and making noises and throwing up error messages. Well, I guess it's a Ford. Trying to get it fixed. But at least the A/C probably won't smell like vinegar.

9) The F-150 moon roof available on the higher trim F-150s is really nice. It can open much like an early Model S pano roof, but it also has a powered cover/shade on the underside of it. I love it.

10) The rear seat A/C vents suck. They barely work. You have to block a lot of the front vents to get it to have enough pressure to have noticeable output on the rear vents.

11) A pet peeve of mine on newer vehicles if not having spare tires. The F-150 Lightning has a spare tire, and I like that.

12) The backup sound on the F-150 Lightning is kind of annoying, but it could be worse. Tesla has a better backup sound.

Overall, I like this truck, and am happy with it so far. The Model 3 was a good car, but I have no regrets. I still have the S when I want some Tesla fun. Some day I'd like to get a long range travel EV; I would probably trade up my 2014 Model S P85 for something that could get 350 highway miles, but there is still nothing really available that meets that objective. I'd also be sad to see my old S go, as it has some cool features you can't get on a Tesla anymore, plus is grandfathered into free connectivity and supercharging which is super nice.

If I encounter more noteworthy observations, I'll come back here and post them.
3580517714_17f3f3dbd8_b (1).jpg

Last edited:
Truck doing truck stuff!!
Love the bed ladder/step.

View attachment 1038857

That thing is so handy, absolutely a must have. Just drove by a white Platinum today and I looked over at the wife and said..."hmm what ya think?"

It's a great truck. When you start utilizing the beefy power outlets it's a "Hold my beer" moment, especially on site. (construction etc..)

How has your range been? Did you receive the free NACS adapter from Ford yet?

Reactions: SmartElectric
How has your range been? Did you receive the free NACS adapter from Ford yet?

35 kWh / 100 km driving the same routes that our 2013 Model S gets 27 kWh / 100 km.
Pickup truck with all the utility, comfort and power is 30% more in electricity vs a Tesla sedan ... trade off works for me.
Range when towing is the issue, and I will report back, we're planning a 4 week East Coast Canada adventure towing a 7500 lb trailer.

NACS adaptor is October 2024 for me, purchasing Lightning in Apr 2024. Ordered A2Z adaptor, hope to get it within next 3 weeks.

Reactions: Elektrick
35 kWh / 100 km driving the same routes that our 2013 Model S gets 27 kWh / 100 km.
Pickup truck with all the utility, comfort and power is 30% more in electricity vs a Tesla sedan ... trade off works for me.
Range when towing is the issue, and I will report back, we're planning a 4 week East Coast Canada adventure towing a 7500 lb trailer.

NACS adaptor is October 2024 for me, purchasing Lightning in Apr 2024. Ordered A2Z adaptor, hope to get it within next 3 weeks.
My former 2022 Lightning was averaging 2.3 miles per kWh around town and 2.0 miles per kWh highway at 70 mph in the fall before it got cold. At 42 cents per kWh for home charging the truck was eating me out of house and home. Now I’m back in the EV game since I added a 200% need solar system on the new house, plenty of power to feed an EV. My new Y got ~4 miles per kWh on 165 mile round trip to the service center on Monday, 246 wH per mile driving 65-70 mph on the highway.

Ouch on 42 cents/kWh for a home electricity rate! The only time I’ve seen rates that high was in conjunction with a time-of-use rate, where it was that high during the weekday afternoon, but much cheaper overnight. TOU rates can be easily handled with charging timers. Even though I have a flat electricity rate, I still have a timer set to start charging at 8:30 PM to reduce the demand on the grid during summer afternoons.

Reactions: gtae07 and BroncoAZ