Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alternative Energy Investor Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I dont understand why utilities just dont get behind the whole EV movement and be the oil companies of the future. The shift to EVs represents the path to their growth. Not everyone can get solar (roof orientation, size etc.) and even if people can, very few can get 100% of their usage. So if utilities want to grow, they should just get on the EV bandwagon.

Panasonic earnings tonight I think, right? This is interesting if true:

Panasonic Corporation (ADR) (OTCMKTS:pCRFY) announced that it has achieved a conversion efficiency of 25.6% (cell area*3: 143.7 cm²) in its HIT(R) solar cells, a major increase over the previous world record for crystalline silicon-based solar cells. Panasonic Corporation (ADR) (OTCMKTS:pCRFY) shares after opening at $10.90 moved to $11.01 on last trade day and at the end of the day closed at $10.93 .

yep- actually came out a couple of weeks ago- so not likely a stock price driver:
Back contact HIT solar cell from Panasonic pushes efficiency record to 25.6% - PV-Tech

excellent accomplishment- keep in mind this is at the cell level

SPWR just said that their cells that will be produced in their new Philippines fab will have "above 25%" efficiency as tested by NREL.

Their goal is to produce a 23% efficient module and eventually get to 23.5%, while cutting down the cost per watt by 35% using new technology in this fab.

Stabile ASP's with a 35% cost reduction will be a phenomenally huge boost to margins and profits if true. Very excited about SPWR in 2015-2106.

SPWR just said that their cells that will be produced in their new Philippines fab will have "above 25%" efficiency as tested by NREL.

Their goal is to produce a 23% efficient module and eventually get to 23.5%, while cutting down the cost per watt by 35% using new technology in this fab.

Stabile ASP's with a 35% cost reduction will be a phenomenally huge boost to margins and profits if true. Very excited about SPWR in 2015-2106.

Let us toast our success in 2106! :tongue:

+10 on that- and that's not accounting for their superior degradation abatement- which may get higher if they can roll in C7 concentration experience to the flat panel line. really like what those guys are doing--

+10 on that- and that's not accounting for their superior degradation abatement- which may get higher if they can roll in C7 concentration experience to the flat panel line. really like what those guys are doing--

They did one 1MW and one 6MW C7 plant in 2013.

They are working on a 21MW C7 plant now and just shipped 70MW of cell packages to China to deploy C7 power plants. It is slowly coming around.

They said that the Middle East is the perfect weather climate for C7 technology, and we know that Saudi Arabia will invest over $100b to deploy 41GW of solar by 2030. Other Middle East countries have similar targets. The reason is that they can then export oil for $100 instead of burning it for $10 to make electricity. Could be a huge market for C7 if they can get it up to scale and work out the kinks, such as potential for hot spots, if any.

HIT technology is not the same as standard poly or mono cells. The cells are the same however the backside is exposed to sunlight too allowing then to achieve higher efficiency because the back picks up reflected sunlight.

Why does this matter? On a standard flush mount roof system there would be minuscule gains. Even in a ballasted roof mount system there wouldn't be that much extra production because of the orientation of the panels, however there would be some reflected energy from the row on the north side (in northern hemisphere) of that panel.

HIT are most beneficial as awnings around swimming pools and other such surfaces that can receive reflected energy.

I think that TSLA is in no man's land right now, and I am going to stay away from it for now. At $186 it is still down "only" 30% from it's high and it is still pricing in several years of future earnings at current levels. It is at the mercy of the market right now and if you are betting on TSLA in the short-run then you are essentially betting on the NASDAQ.

In the mean time, I would recommend taking a look at solar stocks, which are down 40%+ in some cases. The difference between solar and TSLA is that solar stocks (outside of SCTY) are all value plays and in most cases are significantly undervalued; take a look at PT's and you will quickly see that analysts are seeing 100% upside in all stocks.

The reason for the weakness has to do with solar trade wars (that will most likely get resolved in a reasonable manner) and Q1 weakness, which is always the weakest quarter of the year.

But Q1 solar demand came in at 9+GW's this year vs. 6-7GW's in 2013, and was higher than Q2 2014 demand and the same as Q3 demand (which is the second strongest quarter after Q4). Demand in solar is booming.

Last year we had 37-38GW's of demand and this year we might have 45-50GW's. Solarbuzz is forecasting 100GW in 2018. Double digit growth rates for years to come, at about 20% per year.

Q1 ER season might be subpar for some panel makers, but they are going to shine big time in Q3 and Q4, especially as project sales start rolling in. But we already had a strong ER from SPWR, FSLR, SCTY, and ENPH (Enphase - inverter maker up 13% today on ER). I can't recall any solar company having a weak ER yet.

Tomorrow morning SUNE and JASO are reporting earnings. I don't follow SUNE as closely as I would like (due to lack of time), but JASO is going to beat consensus tomorrow and have a great ER.

I am estimating $370m in revenue and $0.34 EPS using very conservative non-GAAP (which only takes out non-cash warrant losses). Consensus is at $330m and $0.06 EPS.

Solar stocks might be in a funk for a while as well, but they are so cheap and undervalued that if you buy and hold, and the economy and markets hold up, then you should make a very nice return within 12 months even if they do go lower from here. I highly doubt that they will go much lower though. TSLA on the other hand is at the mercy of the market and it could still go down a lot more from here and I would not be surprised.

Obama is making a big push for clean energy this week. He is allegedly going to introduce new solar initiatives by the end of the weak, and has been pushing his agenda by releasing a climate report yesterday morning:

New White House report: Climate change is here and action needed now - CNN.com

I still have TSLA exposure in the form of J16 bull call spreads, but nothing fancy like some here mine are long $210 - $260, short $280.

I am focusing my efforts on solar stocks for now and looking for a nice recovery in the second half of the year. You all know which two stocks are my favorite plays :)

Cheers and happy investing.

I think that TSLA is in no man's land right now, and I am going to stay away from it for now. At $186 it is still down "only" 30% from it's high and it is still pricing in several years of future earnings at current levels. It is at the mercy of the market right now and if you are betting on TSLA in the short-run then you are essentially betting on the NASDAQ.

In the mean time, I would recommend taking a look at solar stocks, which are down 40%+ in some cases. The difference between solar and TSLA is that solar stocks (outside of SCTY) are all value plays and in most cases are significantly undervalued; take a look at PT's and you will quickly see that analysts are seeing 100% upside in all stocks.

The reason for the weakness has to do with solar trade wars (that will most likely get resolved in a reasonable manner) and Q1 weakness, which is always the weakest quarter of the year.

But Q1 solar demand came in at 9+GW's this year vs. 6-7GW's in 2013, and was higher than Q2 2014 demand and the same as Q3 demand (which is the second strongest quarter after Q4). Demand in solar is booming.

Last year we had 37-38GW's of demand and this year we might have 45-50GW's. Solarbuzz is forecasting 100GW in 2018. Double digit growth rates for years to come, at about 20% per year.

Q1 ER season might be subpar for some panel makers, but they are going to shine big time in Q3 and Q4, especially as project sales start rolling in. But we already had a strong ER from SPWR, FSLR, SCTY, and ENPH (Enphase - inverter maker up 13% today on ER). I can't recall any solar company having a weak ER yet.

Tomorrow morning SUNE and JASO are reporting earnings. I don't follow SUNE as closely as I would like (due to lack of time), but JASO is going to beat consensus tomorrow and have a great ER.

I am estimating $370m in revenue and $0.34 EPS using very conservative non-GAAP (which only takes out non-cash warrant losses). Consensus is at $330m and $0.06 EPS.

Solar stocks might be in a funk for a while as well, but they are so cheap and undervalued that if you buy and hold, and the economy and markets hold up, then you should make a very nice return within 12 months even if they do go lower from here. I highly doubt that they will go much lower though. TSLA on the other hand is at the mercy of the market and it could still go down a lot more from here and I would not be surprised.

Obama is making a big push for clean energy this week. He is allegedly going to introduce new solar initiatives by the end of the weak, and has been pushing his agenda by releasing a climate report yesterday morning:

New White House report: Climate change is here and action needed now - CNN.com

I still have TSLA exposure in the form of J16 bull call spreads, but nothing fancy like some here mine are long $210 - $260, short $280.

I am focusing my efforts on solar stocks for now and looking for a nice recovery in the second half of the year. You all know which two stocks are my favorite plays :)

Cheers and happy investing.
SCTY and SOL?:cool:

disclaimer: Do not buy based on my post........(a joke)