Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Zero to Sixty in ‘Y Not?’ 2024 Mini Review + pics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
should be able to tell the motor power because the voltage and current are all measured and reportable.

i test drove a YLR vs my 3P and the biggest difference is the immediacy of accelerator response. it *feels* as if they smoothened out the torque vs pedal mapping curve. the 3P is ready to pounce/jump anytime you breathe on the pedal, as if it was a naturally-aspirated motor sitting near the redline. the YLR feels like a forced induced motor with a slight turbo lag, then the strong pull comes in as if it was on-boost.

you can purchase the acceleration boost for the YLR if you want more go?
I haven’t tried M3P just the M3H - highland, what a blast that car was to drive. I can only imagine it in performance trim, wow!

I can’t be the only one wishing for a ludicrous plaid version of the model 3. Not saying 911 killer, but could you imagine anything that could keep up?!

Reactions: Sambub
should be able to tell the motor power because the voltage and current are all measured and reportable.

i test drove a YLR vs my 3P and the biggest difference is the immediacy of accelerator response. it *feels* as if they smoothened out the torque vs pedal mapping curve. the 3P is ready to pounce/jump anytime you breathe on the pedal, as if it was a naturally-aspirated motor sitting near the redline. the YLR feels like a forced induced motor with a slight turbo lag, then the strong pull comes in as if it was on-boost.

you can purchase the acceleration boost for the YLR if you want more go?
Lmao this is EXACTLY how I described it to a friend today morning! LR/turbo vs P/NA! On the move though, with AB, the LR feels very punchy. The difference is noticeable. But from a dig, there isn't a huge difference between the LR and LRAB. I wouldn't pay $2k for AB but I happily bought it for 9.5k credits.

Reactions: holmgang and easyev
Did you drive the dual motor or single Highland?
I drove the dual motor model. Sorry for the lousy photos Shooting directly into the sun is something I learned to avoid years ago, but here you go.

Attachments

• IMG_1954.jpeg
    IMG_1954.jpeg
    759.2 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1953.jpeg
    IMG_1953.jpeg
    906.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1952.jpeg
    IMG_1952.jpeg
    894.2 KB · Views: 20
Reactions: Maxdriver
Lmao this is EXACTLY how I described it to a friend today morning! LR/turbo vs P/NA! On the move though, with AB, the LR feels very punchy. The difference is noticeable. But from a dig, there isn't a huge difference between the LR and LRAB. I wouldn't pay $2k for AB but I happily bought it for 9.5k credits.
MYLT = Type B Personality
MYP = Type A Personality?

The P just wants to GO and it encourages you to do so. After a number of full speed acceleration runs, I must admit, my head was feeling a little different. Not sick, but not completely great. I’ve never noticed that in my wife’s LR.

I wanted to see what the quarter-mile time was on the Y performance and all the magazines just seem to have reviewed the LR at 12.5 / 115mph

what does the YP do in 1320’?!

Reactions: VipinLJ
MYLT = Type B Personality
MYP = Type A Personality?

The P just wants to GO and it encourages you to do so. After a number of full speed acceleration runs, I must admit, my head was feeling a little different. Not sick, but not completely great. I’ve never noticed that in my wife’s LR.

I wanted to see what the quarter-mile time was on the Y performance and all the magazines just seem to have reviewed the LR at 12.5 / 115mph

what does the YP do in 1320’?!

Yes. And weirdly, my LR with AB feels slightly like that (probably not as much as an MYP) when you go WOT from around 20-30mph. Makes me wish it had standard mode as well and sport was an additional mode. I never thought I'd say I missed standard mode!

I did some dragy runs with my car. Multiple runs without AB. Only one run so far with AB. The range in times and speeds is lowest and highest. The slope shown by dragy was around -0.4% (even though the road has a visibly uphill incline!). Ambient temps were all below 40°F (winter in IL). All tests done on the SAME closed road (I do that to keep variables to a minimum).

1. MYLR without AB, SoC between 60-75%, no preconditioning - 0-60 in 4.82-4.86s; 1/4th mile in [email protected]; 62-124mph in 13.4-13.5s consistently

2. MYLR without AB, SoC between 95-97%, preconditioned battery - 0-60 in 4.70-4.75s; 1/4th mile in [email protected]; 62-124mph in 10.6-10.8s consistently (yes; I did multiple runs with a preconditioned battery and high SoC and all were between those!)

3. MYLR with AB, SoC 70%, no preconditioning - 0-60 in 4.24s; 1/4th mile in [email protected]; 62-124mph in 12.0s

I did some dragy runs with my car. Multiple runs without AB. Only one run so far with AB. The range in times and speeds is lowest and highest. The slope shown by dragy was around -0.4% (even though the road has a visibly uphill incline!). Ambient temps were all below 40°F (winter in IL). All tests done on the SAME closed road (I do that to keep variables to a minimum).

1. MYLR without AB, SoC between 60-75%, no preconditioning - 0-60 in 4.82-4.86s; 1/4th mile in [email protected]; 62-124mph in 13.4-13.5s consistently

2. MYLR without AB, SoC between 95-97%, preconditioned battery - 0-60 in 4.70-4.75s; 1/4th mile in [email protected]; 62-124mph in 11.6-11.8s consistently (yes; I did multiple runs with a preconditioned battery and high SoC and all were between those!)

3. MYLR with AB, SoC 70%, no preconditioning - 0-60 in 4.24s; 1/4th mile in [email protected]; 62-124mph in 12.0s

I made a correction above. The correction was for the 62-124mph numbers with the car preconditioned, but without AB. 62-124mph was in the 11.6-11.8s range. Not 10.6-10.8s.

Did two runs today. MYLR with AB, SoC 97% (first run) and 93% (second run), battery preconditioned. Temp was 46°F. Slope was showing as -0.6% and -0.2% even though it's the same road, same starting point and same direction of runs (I've run all my cars here and depending on the car, it shows the slope varying from -0.8% to +1.7%, which makes me think there's something wrong in the slope calculation, especially since you can easily see that the road is actually inclined upwards)

1. 0-60 in 4.24s; 1/4th mile in [email protected]; 62-124mph in 10.70s
2. 0-60 in 4.27s; 1/4th mile in [email protected]

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: dsc888 and easyev
I made a correction above. The correction was for the 62-124mph numbers with the car preconditioned, but without AB. 62-124mph was in the 11.6-11.8s range. Not 10.6-10.8s.

Did two runs today. MYLR with AB, SoC 97% (first run) and 93% (second run), battery preconditioned. Temp was 46°F. Slope was showing as -0.6% and -0.2% even though it's the same road, same starting point and same direction of runs (I've run all my cars here and depending on the car, it shows the slope varying from -0.8% to +1.7%, which makes me think there's something wrong in the slope calculation, especially since you can easily see that the road is actually inclined upwards)

Thanks for the data points! What size wheels are you running? It makes a slight difference.

You're welcome!

And I'm sorry I missed that part. The stock 20" Inductions with Goodyears. Also, I only take into consideration dragy verified runs. Even if runs weren't verified because of low satellite, I don't quote them.
Thanks for the clarification! I too have the 20 inch wheels and AB that I purchased with my 10,000 loyalty points when I took delivery. I purchase it right after I accepted delivery and literally have no idea how the standard 4.8 sec 0-60 even feels like. I had it in my Model 3 LR and paid $2k for it back in 2021 and used it daily! It makes the car into quite the sleeper! 😉

I thought it would be a little faster than that but still impressive

Did two runs today. MYLR with AB, SoC 97% (first run) and 93% (second run), battery preconditioned. Temp was 46°F. Slope was showing as -0.6% and -0.2% even though it's the same road, same starting point and same direction of runs (I've run all my cars here and depending on the car, it shows the slope varying from -0.8% to +1.7%, which makes me think there's something wrong in the slope calculation, especially since you can easily see that the road actually slopes upwards)

those are some solid numbers!

Thank you for all your testing and report, you're so detailed, it's appreciated!

I can only imagine some nice light 18s on your car, maybe another couple of tenths?

The AB car seems so close to the P in 1/4 mile times. I'm sure this has been discussed, they seem like the same car. I thought the P had a bigger rear motor?

From Car and Driver:

Specifications​

2020 Tesla Model Y Dual Motor Performance
VEHICLE TYPE

front- and mid-motor, all-wheel-drive, 5-passenger, 4-door wagon
PRICE AS TESTED
$72,190 (base price: $62,190)
POWERTRAIN
F:
induction AC motor R: permanent-magnet synchronous AC motor
Combined Power (C/D est)
470 hp
Battery Pack
liquid-cooled lithium-ion, 75.0 kWh
TRANSMISSIONS
direct-drive
CHASSIS
Suspension (F/R): control arms/multilink
Brakes (F/R): 14.0-in vented disc/13.2-in vented disc
Tires: Pirelli P Zero PZ4 Elect, F: 255/35R-21 98W TO R: 275/35R-21 103W TO
DIMENSIONS
Wheelbase: 113.8 in
Length: 187.0 in
Width: 75.6 in
Height: 63.9 in
Passenger volume: 106 ft3
Curb weight: 4439 lb
C/D TEST RESULTS
60 mph: 3.6 sec
100 mph: 9.1 sec
1/4 mile: 12.1 sec @ 113 mph
130 mph: 17.8 sec
150 mph: 29.5 sec
Results above omit 1-ft rollout of 0.3 sec.
Rolling start, 5–60 mph: 3.7 sec
Top gear, 30–50 mph: 1.4 sec
Top gear, 50–70 mph: 1.8 sec
Top speed (mfr's claim): 155 mph
Braking, 70–0 mph: 154 ft
Braking, 100–0 mph: 324 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.94 g
C/D FUEL ECONOMY
75-mph highway driving: 98 MPGe
Highway range: 230 miles
EPA FUEL ECONOMY
Combined/city/highway: 111/116/106 MPGe
Range: 291 miles
C/D TESTING EXPLAINED

Thanks for the clarification! I too have the 20 inch wheels and AB that I purchased with my 10,000 loyalty points when I took delivery. I purchase it right after I accepted delivery and literally have no idea how the standard 4.8 sec 0-60 even feels like. I had it in my Model 3 LR and paid $2k for it back in 2021 and used it daily! It makes the car into quite the sleeper! 😉

The stock car was decently fast. Especially since it didn't need brake boosting and stuff like ICE cars. The instant throttle response was nice. It wasn't as punchy as with AB. It felt smooth. One thing both my wife and I noticed was that regen braking seemed better without AB. I assume that's probably because we might be carrying slightly higher speeds but I have a feeling it reduced even at similar speeds. Like we both seem to be using the brake pedal more now. I know it shouldn't be different at same speeds and acceleration but yeah.
I thought it would be a little faster than that but still impressive

those are some solid numbers!

Thank you for all your testing and report, you're so detailed, it's appreciated!

I can only imagine some nice light 18s on your car, maybe another couple of tenths?

The AB car seems so close to the P in 1/4 mile times. I'm sure this has been discussed, they seem like the same car. I thought the P had a bigger rear motor
It looks kinda like what Tesla mentioned. The 0-60 seems to be consistently 4.24s, without one-foot roll out. The quarter mile actually is pretty impressive considering the regular M3LR seems to be slower (12.5-12.6s).

With light 18s, I guess maybe 0.1s faster to the quarter?

The P does the quarter mile at around [email protected]. My car is still like half a second off. But trap speed is almost there. The 100-200kph is what surprised me. Even without AB, my car did like 11.6-11.7s with an almost full, preconditioned battery. That is crazy fast for an SUV. I'll try and get a few more 100-200kph with a higher SoC and preconditioning. If I can still get 10.xs, that's bloody impressive in my eyes. Even my CLS450, on the same road, does the 100-200kph run in 13.7-14.2s.

Reactions: dsc888