Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alternative Energy Investor Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a TMC site so most people here talk about TM/TSLA. The recent drop in TSLA post Q1ER, while not desired, was not totally unexpected. I can NOT for the life of me figure out WTF happened with JASO. It had a 'homerun' Q1ER and it went down. I did not lose any 'paper' money with the JASO drop like I did with TSLA so it did not financially hurt me but I am totally baffled.

These Chinese solar stocks are very thinly traded and one possible conspiracy theory is that the shorts realized that JASO had a great ER and that it will do well going forward, so their short case is basically busted.

The stock traded up 7% in pre-market and the shorts needed to cover, so they pushed down the stock as low as possible in order to cover their short positions at the lowest price possible. Now that the shorts were able to cash out, the stock went back up 6% today, and without any resistance in the last couple of hours.

This is a conspiracy theory that is possible, but would require some illegal collusion; so I am not sure that I buy it.

But the fact is that these companies are thinly traded and can be manipulated very easily if someone really wanted to.

This is why they are buy and hold investments, and I recommend staying away from options. Even LEAPS aren't safe...

Trust me, I believe you. At the time I was so young and enthusiastic. Over the past three months I've matured like you wouldn't believe.

I confess there's a gambling streak running through my bones. I'm working on it. Your posts are of great help.

It was easy to make money in the market in 2013, and it was easy to make money in solar using options, since solar stocks kept going up.

I warned against using options back then, but a lot of people were making money on options so it is easy to get caught up in options instead of stock.

I gave all those warnings, because even though it is easy to make money using options in an up market, you will lose that money 5 times faster in a down market. I (and everyone) knew that a prolong period of weakness would come eventually, hence warned against options. But it is impossible to know when to cash out, so you will eventually end up a big loser using options; unless you are a seasoned pro with a bulletproof strategy that you stick to no matter what.

I really do not recommend playing solar with options. I probably spend more time researching solar than anyone here, have investment banking training and experience, and still cannot even come close to timing options purchases correctly for solar. So I can only imagine what others are going through with a lot less research.

The reasons to stay away from solar options are the same as I mentioned several times:

1. Extremely wide bid/ask spreads.
2. Very low liquidity
3. Exceptionally high IV

That is a recipe for disaster, and that is why I warned many times before not to play options in solar. LEAPS are not safe either.

If you are really hell bent on playing options then do so at your own risk.

I really recommend using stock only when you invest in solar. Choose your stocks wisely and buy and hold. Cash out only when you hit your PT and think that further upside is limited. Do not cash out on weakness, and be ready to hold for 5+ if we hit a recession, because you might lose 70% of your investment. But if you choose the right stock then it will bounce back to previous highs just as fast as any other "safe" stock like Procter & Gamble, who only lost 20% in said hypothetical recession.

Buy and hold...

...or better yet, buy and forget!

- - - Updated - - -

In my 401k last year, I made a 400% return investing almost exclusively in solar; using stock only and no margin. That same portfolio is up 20% YTD, even after the huge beating that solar stocks took recently (I selected the right stocks at the right time and stayed 100% fully invested at virtually all times).

Options are really not necessary to make money in solar. You basically need triple digit returns to make money in solar using options, but 2013 will not happen again. So if we "only" see double digit gains this year, then your options will be big losers. God forbid we see negative returns in solar stocks; as far as option players are concerned.

To sleepy's point. I have about 1/3rd of the profile I'd had if I'd just stuck with stock, both due to TSLA and solar options. Some short, some long. Now, I made mistakes that aggravated those losses, but even had I done things fairly well, I don't think I'd even be break even from simply holding the stock I originally had.

I'm somewhat committed to waiting out some of the options/LEAPS now that I have them, but I'll be rolling back into stock as those near expiration with whatever value they have at that point.

So is there any reason why JASO is down today when other solars are up?

Is there any reason why the other solar stocks are up?

Is there ever any reason to solar stock movements?

I recommend not trying to figure out day to day solar stock movements, because it will drive you nuts.

But to answer your question, someone is holding JASO down for some reason by putting in blocking limit sell orders to discourage buying. Why would they do that? Probably to take all of the options money (OE week) that many people here continue to buy.

Is there any reason why the other solar stocks are up?

Is there ever any reason to solar stock movements?

I recommend not trying to figure out day to day solar stock movements, because it will drive you nuts.

But to answer your question, someone is holding JASO down for some reason by putting in blocking limit sell orders to discourage buying. Why would they do that? Probably to take all of the options money (OE week) that many people here continue to buy.
Yeah I'm just a relatively new shareholder but will not drive myself nuts. I wish I could just not look except for once a quarter but I lack that resolve...

I wish I had taken the opportunity at 9.30 to add to my JASO position last week, but I think I was feeling too crunched by the Tesla earnings bomb to increase my margin amount. I have my leaps and shares covered with 11, 13, and 14 calls for the next month or two, as I doubt that the price will be run up fast. We're not going to see a jump in price until whoever is short has satisfactorily closed the short position- which may mean I can add more at 9.50 again. It always seems that institutions with large short positions always get their way- they run the price down and make people panic sell even if there's good news. Quite depressing- I'd love to see the world deal out more cosmic justice like it did in the tesla squeeze.

Uh, that's nice. Who are you?

Anyway moving on, here is an interesting article that came across my ticker today.

In other news, JASO is horrible and you should all tank the price. Because I'm definitely not buying a truckload of shares soon.

Yeah, everybody dump these guys, there's no way I'll be adding a second truckload.

- - - Updated - - -

I wish I had taken the opportunity at 9.30 to add to my JASO position last week, but I think I was feeling too crunched by the Tesla earnings bomb to increase my margin amount. I have my leaps and shares covered with 11, 13, and 14 calls for the next month or two, as I doubt that the price will be run up fast. We're not going to see a jump in price until whoever is short has satisfactorily closed the short position- which may mean I can add more at 9.50 again. It always seems that institutions with large short positions always get their way- they run the price down and make people panic sell even if there's good news. Quite depressing- I'd love to see the world deal out more cosmic justice like it did in the tesla squeeze.

Been adding more on every drop below $10. Agree with you, just keep it Wall Street boys

Uh, that's nice. Who are you?

Anyway moving on, here is an interesting article that came across my ticker today.

In other news, JASO is horrible and you should all tank the price. Because I'm definitely not buying a truckload of shares soon.

Yeah, everybody dump these guys, there's no way I'll be adding a second truckload.

- - - Updated - - -

Been adding more on every drop below $10. Agree with you, just keep it Wall Street boys

I know that I am the one who started the JASO bullishness here, and I am still very bullish on JASO (more than 50% of my portfolio).

But I was hoping to hear your objective opinions on JASO based on your own research. There might be something that I am missing here in this story, and would like to hear the negative side as well.

Here is an article from Zacks (ugh Zacks! aka contrarian indicator) that came out today:

Why JA Solar Holdings (JASO) Could Be a Potential Winner

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/why-ja-solar-holdings-jaso-110449964.html

You should not be concerned about the price remaining muted going forward. This year’s expected earnings growth over the prior year is significantly high, which should ultimately translate into price appreciation.

The primary risks I see are systemic to all companies that have significant operations, funds and holdings in China and are subject to Chinese government intervention, which can be arbitrary, sudden, and drastic. They have shown restraint in recent years but if the tide turned for their planned economy, I don't doubt that state officials wouldn't hesitate to plunder, regulate or alter the landscape of for-profit corporations at will if they though it was in the middle kingdom's best interest.

Aside from that, the upside here seems laughably obvious.

Right on cue, JASO taking another hit today.

It's the Zacks effect. That contrarian signal works every time.

- - - Updated - - -

Clueless analysts are slowly catching up on JASO. EPS consensus now up to $1.25 in 2014 and $1.40 in 2015, up from -$0.18 and -$0.69 just 90 days ago according to Yahoo:

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ae?s=JASO+Analyst+Estimates

Stock down since then, which makes a lot of sense...

Northland Capital is expecting $3 EPS in 2015. I am expecting $2 in 2014.

I just bought a truckload of JASO common shares in a fund I help manage at $9.83 after discussing it with partners, who agreed it is a great value investment over the medium to long-term. So you're welcome for that intraday bottom. :)