Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AudubonB

One can NOT induce accuracy via precision!
Mar 24, 2013
Gee, a lot of posts that deal with TSLA. That in itself is a bullish enough signal to get me out of self-enforced retirement sitting on my hands.

@Papafox‘s post was clear enough to me.

1. BlackRock is bullish and is hunting around for cheap shares - those that can be obtained by picking up calls they persuaded another to write. The writer gets the premium of selling calls at some level higher than the current price; BRock expects the price rises further than that strike price so it reels in the underlying shares come expiry time.

2. $10MM refers to the value of shares, not the calls. It’s straightforward in the post’s wording.

3. $10MM of anything hardly shows up in their system, but this was just a datum of one. BRock operates by shaking a lot of branches, and if it can get some from you, some from me, some from that fellow behind that tree….it becomes significant.

Now back to contemplating all the new snow we’ve gotten out of this non-stop 72-hour storm.

Continuing the slow return to my thread, after a nice respite and a critically-needed focusing on family matters -

There have been, understandably, a lot of suggestions as to why this recent spectacular rise of TSLA began. I agree with a good fraction of those - that is, I think there has been a concatenation of reasons - but out of courtesy to each I am not going to enumerate the ones which I feel bear more weight than others.

Rather, I am going to return to the one which mirrored best my own beliefs and which also was the proximal cause for my resuming posting. That is the post of Papafox’s that described an unnamed individual investor suggesting that his having been contacted by BlackRock was a five-alarm BUY! signal - that at least one arm of that inconceivably immense organization (between 9 and 11 trillion dollars under management) was about to or had started accumulating TSLA.

That occurred on 24 May, when TSLA was at $184.29. Eleven trading days, $62.40 and 33.9% ago. Helluva start to a good run. And can you imagine how horrible that investor would now be feeling had he taken the bait of the premium to those covered calls at that time?

I’m not going to benefit it by providing a link, but activist and self-described deserving of a Tesla board seat Ross Gerber credits himself for this rally, citing his actions have caused Mr Musk to spend more time with our company.

And here it was I’ve been thinking it was due to revealing starting the rumor that BlackRock was piling its chips on the TSLA square.

Continuing the slow return to my thread, after a nice respite and a critically-needed focusing on family matters -

There have been, understandably, a lot of suggestions as to why this recent spectacular rise of TSLA began. I agree with a good fraction of those - that is, I think there has been a concatenation of reasons - but out of courtesy to each I am not going to enumerate the ones which I feel bear more weight than others.

Rather, I am going to return to the one which mirrored best my own beliefs and which also was the proximal cause for my resuming posting. That is the post of Papafox’s that described an unnamed individual investor suggesting that his having been contacted by BlackRock was a five-alarm BUY! signal - that at least one arm of that inconceivably immense organization (between 9 and 11 trillion dollars under management) was about to or had started accumulating TSLA.

That occurred on 24 May, when TSLA was at $184.29. Eleven trading days, $62.40 and 33.9% ago. Helluva start to a good run. And can you imagine how horrible that investor would now be feeling had he taken the bait of the premium to those covered calls at that time?
I remain single-mindedly focused on one Market situation, as in the above from the May 24 - June 8 period. The next 13F deadline is August 14 (so long from now!); that is when we will learn the extent to which BlackRock has or hasn't increased its TSLA position. For the record, as of March 31, they held 178.66MM shares, #2 amongst Institutional Investors after Vanguard's 220.62MM. I'll wager they may have surpassed Vanguard by the end of last quarter.

Remarkably early for 2Q's 13Fs to come out. Could this be for 1Q? There is no way I can see of accumulating 75MM shares at an average of $165 during the past quarter.

The horse I've been backing, BlackRock, is barely in the running, showing an increase of just 0.93MM at the impossibly low average of $92.74....more reason to suspect these data show 1Q's 13Fs, not 2Q's.

• Informative
Reactions: Paul_SF
Status
Not open for further replies.