Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alternative Energy Investor Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Earnings preannouncements are just speculation on my part, but last quarter we had SOL and then TSL and YGE preannounce earnings.

Some companies gave, what I would call soft-ball guidance for Q3, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a pre-announcement. Some companies do it and some don't, I am not sure what the threshold is to preannounce.

JKS had a stellar Q2, but they did not preannounce, since they do not give gross margin guidance (which was their main reason for a beat) and only slightly exceeded their upper end MW shipment guidance. Nonetheless they had a great quarter.

CSIQ and SOL on the other hand do give gross margin guidance and they guided for 10%-12% and 7%-9% respectively.

SOL had 7.3% GM in Q2 on $0.63 ASP's and $0.53 avg. cost. They guided towards $0.66 ASP in Q3 and flat cost. According to math, their GM should go up by 5% if this ASP proves true, which will lead to 12% GM. If they also ship more modules than they guided for at the top end, then we might see another preannouncement. At the same time you don't want to preannounce every quarter, because then the market will start expecting it.

CSIQ on the other hand guided towards 10%-12% GM without any (high margin) power plant sales. They had 12.8% GM in Q2 with one power plant sale. In Q3 they will already have 2 power plant sales. This could lead to a 14% - 15% GM. I also expect them to have higher capacity utilitization rates than in Q2 (some capacity sat idle), which could increase GM by another 1%-2%. It is very likely that CSIQ will have highe ASP's in Q3, since all of the data points to rising ASP's for tier 1 Chinese solar panels. I am also hoping for some reduced costs as well. They also closed the sale of 2 power plants to Blackrock on the last day of Q3. I am not sure how these sales are accounted for on the books, but there has to be some significance to the Sep 30th. date, which the same date they closed the other 2 plant sales to TransCanada (these are accounted for on a cash basis).

All that being said, I wouldn't be surprised to see CSIQ with gross margins near 20% in Q3. Highly unlikely, but it is a realistic possibility.

CSIQ also guided towards 410MW - 430MW of module shipments in Q3, which sounds low to me since they had 455MW in Q2.

If I am correct in my assumptions, then I would expect the company to preannounce earings. Then again they guided towards 380MW - 420MW and 9%-11% GM in Q2 and delivered 455MW and 12.8% GM, with no preannouncement. IMO those numbers were not quite good for a preannouncement, especially since they probably knew they were going to lose $0.40 EPS on currency exchange (which will not happen in Q3 according to my research, possibly break even or maybe even slight positive). But if they reach the 15% - 20% GM in Q3 and deliver above the high end of their MW shipment estimate, then a preannouncement would be the rational thing to do.

This is all speculation on my part, so please do your own due diligence and do not rely on this information.

Thank you. CSIQ along with SPWR doing good atm, and with some good develepment in the debt ceiling issue I think they will both preform well today. OT: something is up with KNDI today.

Yes, my plan here is to still be allin, tho I will sell my stocks today and have the money ready for options when a deal is done. This is aboviously not a safe play, but im ready to take that gamble, but the risk/reward is really nice IMO.

Norse - Only the potential reward is really nice. The risk is really not that nice :wink:

Woa....SCTY just had a 1$ drop on crazy high volume. Some big investor bailing out or a cascade of stop loss orders?

I am actually surprised the stock didn't fall 5%+ before recovering later in the day. This is normal solar stock behavior, especially after posting a huge gain the day before. If you think this kind of price movement is discussion worthy, then would encourage you to stop looking at the intraday charts and save yourself some stress.

Just another day at the office for solar stocks (read: huge volatility).

I had a chunk of money to invest, and I've been trying to decide which solar company to bet on. From perusing this thread, SCTY and CSIQ are the most popular discussion points, and reviewing the companies data, all of these are a bit risky. I looked at SOL, JASO, JKS and SPWR. Instead of placing my bet on one, I decided to just bet on them all! I'm not an options trader, but rather a buy and hold type of investor. I did already have a small position in both SCTY and CSIQ. I added $30k to each of these and then $10k to SOL, JASO, JKS and SPWR.

I suppose if any of these starts to tank, I can cut my losses and hopefully the others will have covered the loser. I'm not too worried about adding to my position in SCTY after the big gains on Friday. Gains from Friday should cover any loss from a slight pullback on the new investment (if that happens, which I hope, and I'm betting, will not).

I just put some panels on the roof of my home this past weekend. Still need to install the inverter and get an electrician to tie it all together. It will be nice to finally be driving on sunshine (after nearly 20 years on electric powered cars).

I am actually surprised the stock didn't fall 5%+ before recovering later in the day. This is normal solar stock behavior, especially after posting a huge gain the day before. If you think this kind of price movement is discussion worthy, then would encourage you to stop looking at the intraday charts and save yourself some stress.

Just another day at the office for solar stocks (read: huge volatility).

I was not surprised by the price variation, but mostly by the volume. Almost 400k shares in 1 minute when the average is well below 50k. Is that normal action?

Nice to see SPWR push through the $30 mark. Heres to hoping we can get a bit of a run out of it.

EDIT: well it did, it just broke out a bit.

So far I still haven't touched SPWR, but every time I look at the stock it keeps outperforming some of my other solar investments.

I like their technology and products, but I am worried about their growth potential. Can someone point me towards some info about their current/future production capacity and the level of saturation of their current facilities?

Last Friday I wrote this:

This is the kind of news that usually sparks a longer term rally. You can still get back in [SCTY] at $41, you did not miss out on much - only 5%.

SPWR buy point at $28.25 on high volume. Looks like SPWR formed a 10 week cup with handle pattern and is poised for another breakout as soon as today:

SunPower's Shares Breakout Fails, But Stock Trying Again SPWR - Investors.com

Then an hour later I posted this:

SPWR looks like it is breaking out of that cup with handle technical pattern and is about to take off.

Raise your hand, if you bought SPWR or SCTY on Friday.

edit: SPWR up 7% today on high volume and rising fast.

SPWR was and remains my highest stake in Solar, with CSIQ behind it. Sadly i could not buy anymore of either friday like i wanted due to the botched earnings release by Micron which as sent their stock into a massive fall. I was planning on using Mircon money to put into TSLA, SPWR and CISQ. Instead i am left holding Micron to try and remain at break even with them. (or even use this mircon fall as a buying opportunity as it was only a bad earnings call. The company is stronger then ever, just like i used the SPWR Q2 fall to buy more, same could be said for MU right at this very moment)

EDIT:
And with this run my Jan $39s from Q2 are back to even (bought more after dip to bring cost average down) Time for some greenage.

Last edited:
Last Friday I wrote this:

Then an hour later I posted this:

edit: SPWR up 7% today on high volume and rising fast.

Raises a hand half way up ;-)

Good calls as usual. Is this rally of U.S. stocks sane though? I haven't heard of any developments regarding the debt ceiling....

Also, do you have any of the info I'm looking for regarding SPWR?

And with this run my Jan $39s from Q2 are back to even (bought more after dip to bring cost average down) Time for some greenage.

I also had those same J14 $39's that I bought for about $0.60 or so and held on as they went up to $1.50 only to see them fall to $0.20. I ended up selling them at $.25. They are now at $1.40 and climbing fast.

I am not too upset about that decision though, because I used the capital to invest in other stuff and have earned a great return in a different manner. In hindsight though, I probably should have held on to those.

The reason I sold is because my wife kept bothering me every day when our portfolio was losing 10% every day for what seemed like eternity. I ended up selling at the bottom, because she was stressing me out. So I revamped my strategy to make it a little "safer" and have done well since then. Would have done a lot better with my original strategy though.

Therefore, I opened a new account with Interactive Brokers and they give you a special key, so only I have access to the account. Now that my wife doesn't see the daily fluctuations, I can invest a lot more freely and make a lot better investment decisions. She was pretty upset about this for a while, but I kept the other account open for her to see those fluctuations.

Lesson here is to not share your passwords with your spouses if you want to be able to always make the best investment decisions. They will ulitmately force you into making bad investment decisions.