Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alternative Energy Investor Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was thinking of loading up on those this am at 0.05. I wish you had told me earlier that you sold then I would have bought them for sure. Already 0.10/0.15.

BTW, the JASO calls I sold today represent less than a fraction of 1% of my JASO exposure. Just needed some cash to adj. Some TSLA positions.

I am not selling JASO here, the JASO train only fired up the engine today, but is not even close to leaving the station yet.

Didn't we just pass the Sleepy/JASO/Warrant line of despair? Bought in for some Jan 15 15's. Let's find the six fingered (figured?) man. My name is Sleepy Montoya, and I'm your solar daddy! Prepare to die.

Congrats to all SCTY longs... if there are any left here. :)

Closed at an all-time high, $79.95.

Closing price $79.95, 52-week high $79.99... Oh look what great discounted prices... all SCTY stock 20% off for Presidents day weekend :D haha (You gotta appreciate those numbers)

1 share of SCTY $79.95 + tax available at your nearest green-energy retailer

Ugh, thanks but it's kind of bittersweet. I missed my opportunity to buy back the March $80 covered calls that I wrote to hedge against the lockup expiration event last week, so I've effectively cannabalized any upside around the TSLA earnings call / battery factory announcement, or SCTY earnings next week. I should be able to buy them back at break-even if tomorrow is flat or red. Advice??

I suppose having them called away wouldn't be the worst thing either. It's a relatively small position (200 shares) that I picked up at $11.22 during IPO week. It was a reasonable amount of cash for me back then, but even with 600% gains (!) my TSLA holdings have absolutely dwarfed SCTY in my portfolio.

thanks for that. Stayed strong and long on this one as single largest Solar holding (with CSIQ, SPWR close behind with decent JASO taking up the rear);
Plan to hold all of the position (Stock, J15 and J16 LEAPS) thru earnings, then trim a little for rebalance to add more SPWR and JASO, otherwise holding for long term

I bought CSIQ & SCTY back in the fall following the research & advise shared here, CSIQ was sold after it doubled but held on to SCTY, in OCT. I purchased more SCTY they day they announced the purchase of Zep solar, becoming vertically integrated with faster installation should give them significant competitive advantage.

Last edited:
Glad to hear we still have some SCTY longs here.

I don't have any trading advice for those thinking of getting in or exiting SCTY. I tend to look for a steep discount off ATHs or an undervalued stock before entering a long-term position in a company I believe in. But I would recommend for those interested to get a good grasp on the SCTY story and their fundamentals (ie., business model, total addressable market, barriers to entry, company plans, etc). I posted a while back somewhere on this thread some posts on the basics of SCTY story and that might be a good place to start.

Personally, I'm long since $14.50 cost-basis and plan to hold for at least 10 years as I think SCTY will end up being the big winner in solar.

Personally, I'm long since $14.50 cost-basis and plan to hold for at least 10 years as I think SCTY will end up being the big winner in solar.

Agree with that scenario. They are running a distributed network model that is panel agnostic. Fantastic business model imo and I'll hold via stock and rolling LEAPS for next 10 years doing some occasional add and trim.
They are at a high valuation though, so a tough add without good research as DaveT suggests.
To compliment SCTY
I X-pollinate with SPWR for panel and utility level exposure - US (non-China) market.
and CSIQ for similar but with China and World markets at play
each of which have excellent mgmnt, business models, and balance sheets.
JASO is a pure China based play for me

To compliment SCTY
I X-pollinate with SPWR for panel and utility level exposure - US (non-China) market.
and CSIQ for similar but with China and World markets at play
each of which have excellent mgmnt, business models, and balance sheets.
JASO is a pure China based play for me

CSIQ looks like a company that really knows how to execute. I think they might have the best management team in solar after SCTY.
Growing market share in panels. Relentless pursuit of utility scale solar plants. Growing gross margin. Profitable.

I've tried to get into SCTY before, but for whatever reason, it always jumps higher right as I get serious about buying some... if there is a pullback in SCTY, I will be buying some LEAPS. I thought about RSOL for a while as a potential proxy for SCTY, but I just don't think they will make anywhere near the amount SCTY can by leasing the panels to customers.

I really like CSIQ as well and will likely pick up some more on a pullback.

Also, does anyone have an opinion on FSLR? They have a manufacturing plant in northwest Ohio, but I honestly don't know too much about them. From the little I've read so far, it seems like their thin-film panels are inferior (less efficient) to the silicon panels made by some of the other firms... which I guess ultimately hurts their margins and pricing power. I also read that they are working to improve the efficiency. Given that this stock has lagged the other solar stocks, what's the potential they can improve their market placement in the future? I'm considering whether to buy into this or just stick with other Chinese solars like SPWR and JASO.

Oh, yes, we're here...

holding half of my initial shares purchased at 18 bucks. While it has a fairly aggressive valuation currently, I rightly or wrongly believe solar city will be tied to the fate of Tesla. The 'Musk-Factor' will play a big role. I cannot imagine there is not an R and D subset of people at SCTY working specifically on Elon Musk's 'crazy' ideas. Just like Tesla's plan has been roadster>S>X>gen 3, I feel SCTY doing what they are now are in the roadster part of their business model. The companies agenda's (to decrease fossil fuel consumption) are so directly linked, how can their future not be?

“I just had this bug I had to address, which is that we have to change the way we burn fossil fuels,” he says over coffee in Manhattan this past summer. “We just have to.” The intensity with which he states this is startling. Lindon Rive quote excerpted from here....

SolarCitys cousin making solar panels hot again.

I'm considering whether to buy into this or just stick with other Chinese solars like SPWR and JASO.

Be aware SPWR is not Chinese nor do they sell into that market. They have one of the best management teams, based in CA, have the highest efficiency panels today, sell into both commercial and residential mostly in the US some in Europe, very well vertically integrated with their own panels and R&D. They currently carry the smalls IV on LEAPS and other Options, so are good buy candidate imo.

JASO is Chinese and also a good buy candidate imo due to low valuation. They carry high debt and some additional risk but may have better return potential. Sleepyhead is the expert (with others) on these, I suggest reading through his extensive posts on his extensive research

Last edited:
I've tried to get into SCTY before, but for whatever reason, it always jumps higher right as I get serious about buying some...

Ummm... perhaps there's a lesson there? It sounds very much like the people who kept telling me that Tesla was already {$50, $100, $135, $180, ...} so they wouldn't buy it. I haven't made nearly as much from Solar City as I have from Tesla, but it's been an amazingly consistent performer. Earnings is next week. Buy today. (I did.)