Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Vehicle Registration Data - Germany

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Several indications show that Tesla now produces Model S to be sold in their stores - implying that their sales policy has changed.
In Norway well equipped cars in different colors are delivered to customers within the week and everybody is happy. :)

Tesla is actually selling new cars just off the boat from the US here in Norway. These are actually cancellations, where the reservation holders have simply walked away. Tesla seems intent on delivering well over 1000 Model S in Norway this month, and if a mere 1% of buyers walk away - that's 10 Model S available with immediate delivery. Tesla is also selling all it's test drive cars, to boost numbers end-of-quarter.

Some interesting numbers:

The number of registered cars monday: 95 (~100% of production in a given day!)
The number of registered cars so far this month: 896
The number of cars registered in January/February: 563

If they keep up the current registration rate, they'll end up with close to 1400 registrations. That's about 500 more than has been registered of any other car model in a single month in the last three years! Possibly the highest number ever! (With these numbers, Tesla will be the largest car manufacturer in Norway in March, the 5th largest car manufacturer in Norway YTD, and the Model S will be the most registered car model YTD.)

Last edited:
All in all - till end of 2013 we had 2 Model S and 1 Roadster registered in Latvia.
For a month or so i am in the registry list, and i will get monthly info on new EV registrations ;)
All together EV in Latvia are ~ 17.. yes - 17 Electric Veh. in all country all together.

But thanks to Gov.Incentives - i think we will have at least 50 or maybe even 100+ new EV registrations by end of this year + at least 5-25 chaging points (slow and fast)
Yikes, I hadn't thought it this way ;) It seems indeed that when Elon promised in Oslo, that in Q1 and Q2 Norway would get priority he really meant it... Getting half of Teslas production for one month or basically total ca 20% of global production of a quarter is huge for a small country like Norway :)

I'm happy to say that Estonia, tiny as it may be, may well show double digit Model S's as early as this month though more likely early April due to shipping etc. I mean that'd be almost 10% of Germany for a tiny place like Estonia ;)

I couldnt find any thread here in the investors section, so i figured i open up a new one.

The official data can be found here: KBA The latest document is attached to this post.

Here is the data:

Tesla Model S BMW I3 Nissan LeafRenault Zoe
January 30 229 7148
February66 179 2462
March14323013195
Year to date239 638 226
I added some other BEVs to get some colour on the german market for BEVs.

Looks like a nice trend for EVs in general with solid numbers from Tesla only beaten by the heavily marketed BMW i3 wich also is available with a range extender. I'm curios how this table looks like at the end of the year and what it looks like if the BMWi3 "hybrids" wouldn't be on it.

Looks like a nice trend for EVs in general with solid numbers from Tesla only beaten by the heavily marketed BMW i3 wich also is available with a range extender. I'm curios how this table looks like at the end of the year and what it looks like if the BMWi3 "hybrids" wouldn't be on it.

I would say we may be spoiled by the fantastic numbers from Norway. If anything, Norway shows that Tesal at the price of a Passat can be highly successful (I think with all the EV incentives, that's what the Model S price compares to there).

However let's not forget the Model S and the i3 are in completley different price and size brackets. Just as we are not surprised that BMW sells more of the 3 series than the high end 5ers or 7 series, this should be expected too.

The Leaf and the Zoe numbers do suggest, however, that at that price/range ratio, EVs are only chosen by a few environmentalists who do not mind the downgrade compared to what that money could get them in an ICE car. I just heard VW may start selling the eGolf at EUR 35k. Hell, if I spent that much on a car, I sure as hell would not buy an eGolf! Having said that, if the Model E ends up around the same price in Europe, it should be a huge success. With about twice the range of the Golf, access to Superchargers and the performance/size of a 3series, that car should be a runaway hit.

One interesting fact is that the i3 sold in greater numbers in Norway than in Germany. 336 in March and 646 YTD. And still the Model S outsold the i3 five to one in March and about three to one YTD.

Of course, there are several reasons for this:

- i3 is still supply limited, just like the Model S
- Market for 100 mile city cars is proportionally smaller in Norway than in Germany. We hardly have any truly big cities that are almost completely self-contained.
- Market for 100 mile city cars is more saturated in Norway, by Leafs/iMiEVs/iOns/C-Zeros/Thinks/etc

I have serious doubts the i3 will ever be able to surpass the Model S in Norway, despite being significantly cheaper. The market for fully capable cars is just that much bigger, and the i3 is a lot more expensive than cars like the e-Up!. (Which has also outsold the i3 in Norway, with 379 in March and 720 YTD.)

Some more data on the market in Germany:

Unbenannt.jpg

This is a snapshot of the march numbers regarding first time registered luxury vehicles (first column). If Tesla keeps growing like this in april and may they will beat Daimler, BMW, and VW at their home turf.

View attachment 46841
This is a snapshot of the march numbers regarding first time registered luxury vehicles (first column). If Tesla keeps growing like this in april and may they will beat Daimler, BMW, and VW at their home turf.
I always wonder about these comparisons. The Model S is not at all comparable to an S Class or a 7 Series or an A8. Look at size, quality, available equipment... someone in the market for one of those cars would never settle for a Model S.
The Model S competes with the BMW M5 or 550, the E500 or corresponding AMG, the high end A6, etc.

I always wonder about these comparisons. The Model S is not at all comparable to an S Class or a 7 Series or an A8. Look at size, quality, available equipment... someone in the market for one of those cars would never settle for a Model S.
The Model S competes with the BMW M5 or 550, the E500 or corresponding AMG, the high end A6, etc.

For you, maybe. I disagree and so do many buyers who could afford an S Class, 7 series or A8, as they have spoken with their pocketbooks. On the one hand, some of those cars have features not in the Model S that might be desirable. On the other hand, none of them have now or will ever have much of what the Model S currently brings to its owners. Primarily, as I'm sure you know, they are simply held back by the engineering constraints of the fuel-burning engines that must be housed within them.

View attachment 46841

I think the Porsche Panamera numbers are going to be particularly interesting: To me there are no rational reasons to buy the Panamera over the Tesla (but then again I'm a bit biased ;-) And if I see this right, the Panamera is only a handful of cars ahead...

The Model S can't compete with a BMW 7 series?!? This has got to be one of the strangest comments I've read on TMC.

- - - Updated - - -

For you, maybe. I disagree and so do many buyers who could afford an S Class, 7 series or A8, as they have spoken with their pocketbooks. On the one hand, some of those cars have features not in the Model S that might be desirable. On the other hand, none of them have now or will ever have much of what the Model S currently brings to its owners. Primarily, as I'm sure you know, they are simply held back by the engineering constraints of the fuel-burning engines that must be housed within them.

+1.