Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Putting some numbers on the factors that affect range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, I see that this is a very old post but it’s spot on with what I learned. I just bought a used 2017 S 100D and did my first and probably last road trip from Vegas to Lake Tahoe. It was by far the most stressful trip of my life. Always watching the gauge and over charging at each stop. My range says 308 miles fully charged but the truth is more around 220 if I keep the speed at 65 and don’t pass a lot of cars. But that’s not me, I’m more like 80 and pass every one so it’s more like 150 range. Then the car doesn’t come with a spare so even though I’ve never had a flat I was worried about that the whole way. Roads were closed because of weather so I had to back track and go out of the way. Then the only charger in Carson City was broken because of somebody driving over it because someone else was too lazy to put it back in the charger. The next morning I hit a pot hole and blew out front tire and damaged the rear. Waited 8 hours for a tow truck but thank god a tire shop had the 21/245 continental extreme’s.

I love the car, I didn’t buy it because of gas prices or pollution. I bought it because it’s just flat out cool. The performance is unmatched and handles like a slot car. But, they are commuter cars and not for road trips. Until they get at least 500 miles and charge to 100% in 10 minutes they will never compete as one. And they better start building some new power plants to handle demand.

Wow… that is spot on with my experience so far (winter driving, 21", rain). I was just looking for reasons why 238 miles keep turning into 180.

Thank you SO MUCH for this incredible resource.

Update: Added to the FAQ:
4.2What's the real world range (for each battery capacity)?
Took a 2,900 mile trip TX-FL-TX, have a 2020 S LR, 70 mph, light AC (75), averaged 300 miles per charge. In Orlando traffic, horrible xongestion, range dropped to 270.

Wow, I see that this is a very old post but it’s spot on with what I learned. I just bought a used 2017 S 100D and did my first and probably last road trip from Vegas to Lake Tahoe. It was by far the most stressful trip of my life. Always watching the gauge and over charging at each stop. My range says 308 miles fully charged but the truth is more around 220 if I keep the speed at 65 and don’t pass a lot of cars. But that’s not me, I’m more like 80 and pass every one so it’s more like 150 range. Then the car doesn’t come with a spare so even though I’ve never had a flat I was worried about that the whole way. Roads were closed because of weather so I had to back track and go out of the way. Then the only charger in Carson City was broken because of somebody driving over it because someone else was too lazy to put it back in the charger. The next morning I hit a pot hole and blew out front tire and damaged the rear. Waited 8 hours for a tow truck but thank god a tire shop had the 21/245 continental extreme’s.

I love the car, I didn’t buy it because of gas prices or pollution. I bought it because it’s just flat out cool. The performance is unmatched and handles like a slot car. But, they are commuter cars and not for road trips. Until they get at least 500 miles and charge to 100% in 10 minutes they will never compete as one. And they better start building some new power plants to handle demand.
i would agree...the whole flat tire issue is worse then charging stops. If you get a flat it ruins the whole trip. you cant even bring a spare cause no way to change it on the road.

i would agree...the whole flat tire issue is worse then charging stops. If you get a flat it ruins the whole trip. you cant even bring a spare cause no way to change it on the road.

Yes you can for about $500: https://www.amazon.com/2012-2018-Tesla-Complete-Spare-Carrying/dp/B07KS3J9M1/

I love the car, I didn’t buy it because of gas prices or pollution. I bought it because it’s just flat out cool. The performance is unmatched and handles like a slot car.

You and me are the same. Mine is a 2015 P85D. I'm a total torque-junkie.