Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 S 100D extremely long charging times for last 10%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Kareo

Jan 17, 2024
Reno
Long time lurker here, but have always found answers with a search. But not for this so...

I have a 2017 S100D with 93k miles on it. The battery is at about 86% of original range (283 miles vs 330 new). The problem is when I need to charge to full, that last 10-15% of range takes much longer than before. I timed it the other night at home before taking it to the service center, and it took just over 2 hours to go from 266 miles until it quit at 283.

It does this on super chargers too. I've never gotten an idle fee at a super charger because it will litterally sit there for hours to add just a few miles (I do keep an eye out to make sure there are open spots for other users). It's been like this for a couple of years now, but originally it used to take maybe an extra 20 or 30 minutes to go from 90% to a 100% at a super charger.

The first time I took it to Tesla with this complaint, I gave them the time stamp from my last super charger experience where it just sat there. They didn't even plug it in, and just gave me a speal about cold weather, super charger conditions, and how they don't guarantee super charging speeds. So I took it home and timed it on my home charger. Now they are telling me it's normal to expect that because of battery degradation. However, none of my friends and family with Teslas have this issue.

Has anyone else run into extreme (multiple hours) charging time when topping up to 100%?

I don't need it often, but when I do it's usually when I'm on a road trip, so spending an extra 2 or 3 hours to get 15-20 miles of range is not a great option.

I suggest you refocus your energies on optimizing your stops. I always unplug my 2023 M3 when I see the charging rate drop.

I understand that's not your question.

To your question, though, the M3 took a very long time at 99% to rebalance cells the few times I watched it at a SC. Don't know how it behaves in the garage overnight with my level 2.

Yes, it's kind of weird, especially if the battery was warm enough. Can you use the SMT tool? Would be good to see whether the cells are balanced enough. You might try to let it sit at 100% long enough to let the BMS do its job..maybe it might be better then.. I'd also monitor the charging process using SMT to see the voltages during the whole process. Good luck.