Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Putting some numbers on the factors that affect range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know of a reference here or elsewhere that lists the consumption in kW for each of the various accessories in our cars, such as heated seats, heated steering wheel,a/c, heat, front defrost blue vs front defrost red, rear defrost, etc.?
YT Desc: the approximate power consumption numbers for each.

Baseline (Vehicle at Rest but Powered up): 247Wh
Defroster (Rear Window & Side Mirrors CWP): 285Wh
Steering Wheel Heater: 95Wh
Heated Wipers & Nozzles: 95Wh
1 Seat Heater: 57Wh
2 Seat Heaters: 133Wh
3 Seat Heaters: 171Wh
4 Seat Heaters: 209Wh
5 Seat Heaters: 247Wh

Thanks for this thread, as a new owner with only a couple of thousand miles experience I thought I may have problems as I was only getting about 300 miles range on a 2020 S LRP. I found out quickly that the A/C kills the range in Texas and was within 40 miles of running out, basically 320 miles indicated to travel 200 actual, I found the A/C range button which helped a lot ;-) The numbers in the first post make me feel a little better about my numbers/battery even if they don't live up to the indicated EPA...
Thanks again for sharing.

Attachments

• Selection_467.png
    Selection_467.png
    54.9 KB · Views: 209
Hello I just purchased a 2014 S 60 and was told the range was 250 by the dealer which was not Tesla after I sign the contact. That on me for not doing my homework on the different types of battery. I would love to upgrade but have been told no by Tesla. Is this car capable of going from the Bay Area to LA and if so how many time will I have stop to charge?

Attachments

• EEFAFC97-429B-42C3-83BD-FC54C1A215DF.jpeg
    EEFAFC97-429B-42C3-83BD-FC54C1A215DF.jpeg
    746.6 KB · Views: 173
Hello I just purchased a 2014 S 60 and was told the range was 250 by the dealer which was not Tesla after I sign the contact. That on me for not doing my homework on the different types of battery. I would love to upgrade but have been told no by Tesla. Is this car capable of going from the Bay Area to LA and if so how many time will I have stop to charge?

You can use A Better Route Planner and pick your 60 in the list to try different routes.
A Better Routeplanner

The range for the original Model S 60 was 208 miles EPA according to Tesla Model S - Wikipedia

upload_2021-1-13_17-37-56.png

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H

According to many reports, the 60 kWh battery is a software-locked 75 and many owners were able to pay to “unlock” additional range. Are you saying Tesla refused you this option or that the option is no longer available?

Apparently, another member was able to confirm the 60/75 kWh unlock is still available as of last month:
RANGE UPGRADE CHANGE? Option to Upgrade 60D to 75D Gone from Tesla.com "Manage" Page

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H
Hello I just purchased a 2014 S 60
According to many reports, the 60 kWh battery is a software-locked 75 and many owners were able to pay to “unlock” additional range. Are you saying Tesla refused you this option or that the option is no longer available?
This is a 2014 model year car. In 2014, they only had two battery sizes: 85 and 60, and they were REALLY 85 and 60. The 75 battery size was not created for another couple of years, and they weren't doing software locked batteries yet.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Thanks for this thread, as a new owner with only a couple of thousand miles experience I thought I may have problems as I was only getting about 300 miles range on a 2020 S LRP. I found out quickly that the A/C kills the range in Texas and was within 40 miles of running out, basically 320 miles indicated to travel 200 actual, I found the A/C range button which helped a lot ;-) The numbers in the first post make me feel a little better about my numbers/battery even if they don't live up to the indicated EPA...
Thanks again for sharing.

Dude - that scares the hell out of me. I have a Model S Plaid on order and you know how hot it can get in Texas. Highway speed (fracturing the speed limit) and running he AC full blast.

Maybe I should cancel my Model S Plaid and go for a Model S Long Range?

D.

Dude - that scares the hell out of me. I have a Model S Plaid on order and you know how hot it can get in Texas. Highway speed (fracturing the speed limit) and running he AC full blast.

Maybe I should cancel my Model S Plaid and go for a Model S Long Range?

D.
The Plaid as a better cooling system it seems ... bigger radiator.
As stated turning on 'Range' mode limits the A/C in the cabin to a certain kW usage. You may want to inquire other TX / AZ / etc owners on whether 'Range' mode is adequate in 3 digit heat.

See this article: Engineering Analysis Of New Tesla Model S Plaid Supercar

tkLc08s.jpg

tn4iz1G.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
is range mode better on or off for city driving?
I used it on highway only and to be honest really not sure about the front/rear motor adjustment based on looking at the hard data in ScanMyTesla. They both seem to be used similarly from my observations. Least wise it was not obvious. I think it helps with climate control and the old heater more than anything IMO.

> Manual: Turn on Range Mode (if equipped) to automatically limit the power that the climate control system uses
> to maintain the temperature of the Battery and the cabin area. Range Mode also turns off signature
> lights (if equipped) and adjusts the front and rear motor torque split to maximize range.

I used it on highway only and to be honest really not sure about the front/rear motor adjustment based on looking at the hard data in ScanMyTesla. They both seem to be used similarly from my observations. Least wise it was not obvious. I think it helps with climate control and the old heater more than anything IMO.

> Manual: Turn on Range Mode (if equipped) to automatically limit the power that the climate control system uses
> to maintain the temperature of the Battery and the cabin area. Range Mode also turns off signature
> lights (if equipped) and adjusts the front and rear motor torque split to maximize range.
Someone liked this post and after rereading it I wanted to give an updated test.

It appears that an OTA or some other circumstance changed because in Dec'22 I tested (ScanMyTesla) this on a road trip and using Range Mode very clearly changed the bias of using the front or the front & rear. In past test, I didn't see any difference.

Someone liked this post and after rereading it I wanted to give an updated test.

It appears that an OTA or some other circumstance changed because in Dec'22 I tested (ScanMyTesla) this on a road trip and using Range Mode very clearly changed the bias of using the front or the front & rear. In past test, I didn't see any difference.
Range mode prefers the front motor but it only makes a difference if you have a performance car with the large rear drive unit. The large drive unit is an older, less efficient one. Thus favoring the front drive unit, which is newer and more efficient will give a little better overall efficiency. Non performance cars have the small drive unit in the front and back. In those cars it makes no difference. I have one of those cars. Switching to range mode still prefers the front drive unit. They just never bothered to change the software.