Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Vehicle Registration Data - Germany

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Model S can't compete with a BMW 7 series?!? This has got to be one of the strangest comments I've read on TMC.

- - - Updated - - -

+1.

yes, the fact that you still have to go to a gas station with a 7 series or A8 and that you don't have that massive touch screen or smooth acceleration makes them very inferior to the S, these are three big advantages that outweighs smaller disadvantages to many people. Add on top of that the superior safety rating and any educated/open-minded person I think will likely buy a model S over the A8 or 7 series.

also the greater storage space and it looks better too and free updates over the internet

I think most people have quabbles with interior comfort, ride noise and luxury elements in that category. In those the Model S is lacking, no doubt about it. But that's about the only issue and easily rectified while the advantages are not that easily rectified by others.

And I'm really baffled why Tesla doesn't do a better insulation job on the noise. One of the Model S owners here went and added noise suppression in the wheel wells to his car. Half a day of work, cost a couple hundred euros and the car is far far more silent now. If you drive in a brand new MB S-class you can hardly hear anything at all, that's the noise buffering that isn't that hard nor is it expensive. It's not a huge thing, but it does somewhat stand out, especially in an EV that is by nature relatively silent ;) But I'm fairly sure Tesla will add those things in the near future to the production line and as a retrofit option. They must if they really want to sell in Germany.

And I'm really baffled why Tesla doesn't do a better insulation job on the noise. One of the Model S owners here went and added noise suppression in the wheel wells to his car. Half a day of work, cost a couple hundred euros and the car is far far more silent now. If you drive in a brand new MB S-class you can hardly hear anything at all, that's the noise buffering that isn't that hard nor is it expensive. It's not a huge thing, but it does somewhat stand out, especially in an EV that is by nature relatively silent ;) But I'm fairly sure Tesla will add those things in the near future to the production line and as a retrofit option. They must if they really want to sell in Germany.

Hey Mario, I would like to do this as well... Did the owner post how he did this?

Hey Mario, I would like to do this as well... Did the owner post how he did this?

Well this probably should be branched off to some other part of the forum, but there are local companies that do it for any car. Here's a pic from mid-work.

1606511_10152003458930592_498670196_o.jpg

And I'm really baffled why Tesla doesn't do a better insulation job on the noise. One of the Model S owners here went and added noise suppression in the wheel wells to his car. Half a day of work, cost a couple hundred euros and the car is far far more silent now. If you drive in a brand new MB S-class you can hardly hear anything at all, that's the noise buffering that isn't that hard nor is it expensive. It's not a huge thing, but it does somewhat stand out, especially in an EV that is by nature relatively silent :wink: But I'm fairly sure Tesla will add those things in the near future to the production line and as a retrofit option. They must if they really want to sell in Germany.
Time-to-market had a huge say in the option list.
Minimalist interior is not only "visual/usability design decision" but also a risk-managment factor.
They included what they deemed necesary - even left out some of those things :)
With time improvemenst are coming and will continue to do so .)

Roadster saw similar developements.

The Model S can't compete with a BMW 7 series?!? This has got to be one of the strangest comments I've read on TMC.
Here we go again. As I believe I mentioned, I have gone down this road before. Different people, same disconnect.
Would I pick a 7 series over my Model S? Heck no. (and yes, I could have trivially bought a nice 7 series - the fact that I picked a model S 60 has nothing to do with what I could have bought had I chosen to go that route).
But if you want to compare cars, you need to focus on what's comparable.
So forget engine / motor. Yes, Model S wins by an infinite margin.
Instead look at the interior, comfort, extras, fit and finish, quality, etc.

Here's what I did the last time I got into this argument with a local Tesla owner. He and I drove to the local BMW dealership (I'm sure they are still talking about us).
We put our two Model S next to a bunch of their cars and got in and out and in and out of those cars.
Consensus? In fit and finish, comfort, perception of quality, materials used... the Model S compares well to a 3 series, doesn't quite match a top of the line 5 series and is no where near a 7 series.

Yes, I'm happy to admit that many (most?) people here disagree and continue to focus on the easy competition. Suffice to say that Elon doesn't try to win against the 7 series. He doesn't tend to go for the low hanging fruit and the easy to achieve goals. He clearly positions the Model S against the 5 and the Model E against the 3. That's what the price points indicate, that's what the size and styling show you.

48 Model Ss registered in Germany in April: http://www.kba.de/cln_031/nn_330190/...014_04_pdf.pdf

Would guess after delivering as much as possible at end of quarter the delivery pipeline had to be filled again first, also deliveries to China... Is in line with lower deliveries for Norway in April as compared to March.

This is actually an excellent result. This total needs to be compared with the first month of Q1. In January there were 30 MS registered in Germany. So we have a 60% growth as compared with 1st month of Q1.

To better compare the fluctuations, I made a plot for Norway and Germany registration numbers each normalized to their monthly average Oct13-Apr14, so 1 in the plot means an average delivery number for that month. Looks very much like an end-of-quarter push to me:

Screen shot 2014-05-07 at 5.40.53 PM.png

Well from what I understood the Norwegian huge spike was a bit of an anomaly where they delivered the whole quarters worth of Model S's effectively in a couple of weeks / March. They maxed out at 96 deliveries on a single day (they tried to get to 100 just for the round number, but most Norwegians they called to come and pick up their cars essentially in the middle of the night were already drunk :D)

True, there really was a huge end-of-quarter push for deliveries in every single country in Europe. The reason is clear from their Q1 letter to investors : deliveries was a small beat only. A loss on that number would have been quite bad in terms of the stock.

To better compare the fluctuations, I made a plot for Norway and Germany registration numbers each normalized to their monthly average Oct13-Apr14, so 1 in the plot means an average delivery number for that month. Looks very much like an end-of-quarter push to me:

View attachment 48809

@hobbes and others: A favor. I am gathering monthly Model S delivery numbers for all of 2013 and 2014 for the following European countries. Here is what I have so far, would appreciated it if everyone would help fill in the blanks or correct any errors:

Norway:

jul ?
aug ?
sep ?

oct 98
nov 527
dec 553

jan 132
feb 431
mar 1494

apr 172

Netherlands:

jul ?
aug ?
sep ?

oct ?
nov ?
dec ?

jan ?
feb ?
mar ?
(2014 Q1 207)

apr ?

Germany:

jul ?
aug ?
sep ?

oct ?
nov ?
dec ?

jan 30
feb 66
mar 143

apr 48

Belgium:

monthly #s ?

Denmark:

monthly #s ?

Switzerland:

monthly numbers ?

If you have 2013 and 2014 monthly numbers for other European countries please share!