Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Supercharger Progress

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder who (at Tesla) makes that tesla charging map. Meaning, what information do they have that would lead them to write down that FS is coming by the end of the summer?
Find Us | Tesla

Well, recreational marijuana was just legalized in California. However, I do not believe the person responsible for that pipe dream of a map (and dates) brought nearly enough for everybody.

Fortunately, the SC team has quadrupled in size; the person responsible for West Texas SCs now at least lives in Texas. Presuming that he didn’t get laid off.

It wouldn’t seem that difficult to at least reach out to the host property(ies), re-establish the necessary relationships, settle the bill for the preliminary work done so far, retain local/regional contractors (one of whom kindly offered availability in the FS thread), and to, as it were, finally get off the schneid.

Flatbed tows out thataway are expensive. The longer this delay persists, the more tows there will be.

• Funny
Reactions: tmoz
Well, recreational marijuana was just legalized in California. However, I do not believe the person responsible for that pipe dream of a map (and dates) brought nearly enough for everybody.

Fortunately, the SC team has quadrupled in size; the person responsible for West Texas SCs now at least lives in Texas. Presuming that he didn’t get laid off.

It wouldn’t seem that difficult to at least reach out to the host property(ies), re-establish the necessary relationships, settle the bill for the preliminary work done so far, retain local/regional contractors (one of whom kindly offered availability in the FS thread), and to, as it were, finally get off the schneid.

Flatbed tows out thataway are expensive. The longer this delay persists, the more tows there will be.
Has anyone been towed yet?

• Funny
Reactions: TaoJones
Not aware of any tows yet - here's the closest I am aware of:

Pretty blue S75(?) in Ozona. Man & wife's first trip through Texas, west to east.
Car showed 8 miles available range when he pulled into the SC.
He said he'd been going 45mph on I-10, where the speed limit is 80.

Ozona SC would not go over 60kW for his car or mine. I've reported this site twice now - don't know if it ever got fixed.
Handicap-reserved pedestal was the only one that worked properly - 118kW.

I wonder who (at Tesla) makes that tesla charging map. Meaning, what information do they have that would lead them to write down that FS is coming by the end of the summer?
Find Us | Tesla

I dunno. I just dunno.

But I can offer some ancient perspective from my halcyon days when I was a controller. Please understand that I do not know Tesla's organizational structure, and I do not know how information is disseminated between or among multiple departments. And knowing Tesla's poor communication skills, perhaps sister departments have little interaction with each other.

I assume that Tesla divides its company into geographic divisions. I further assume that within each geographic division there are common departments like Supercharging, Sales, Service, Customer Relations/Support, etc. I assume that each department within each division prepares an annual budget for revenues and expenses and also for capital expenditures. These budgets are forwarded to Palo Alto for review. Palo Alto then works with each division/department to agree upon the final numbers for the ensuing year. So, now we have not only a company-wide budget for Superchargers, we also have geographic sub-budgets, as it were.

We know from the workings over the past five years that the opening of new Supercharger sites is more art than science. There are just too many variables that are beyond Tesla's immediate control. It is certainly possible that the budgeted funds for Fort Stockton were moved to other locations due to the fact that upper management decided the capital for Fort Stockton would be more effective if it were deployed to expansion (like Tejon Ranch) or to saturation (like all the new urban-style chargers) or to another location that was needed, and everything fell into place in a few weeks for construction.

I guess that the decision-makers at Tesla (including the accounting department that has to sign off on the expenditures) are not the same people who are out there pounding the pavement and making phone calls for possible sites. So, there is one group of foot soldiers braving the elements and making maps for us owners, while the upper management folks are dealing with the budgeted funds and deciding which sites to pursue and complete. And it would not surprise me in the least if Tesla takes from Peter to pay Paul in this endeavor.

Just a guess.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
Has anyone been towed yet?

Of course. West Texas, and for that matter the adjacent high desert in general are not the friend of EVs when it comes to the trifecta of elevation, temperature, and speed. Not that tow volume in any way excuses Tesla's failure to execute.

They should try crowd source funding. I'd bet a few Tesla owners would Throw in some dollars to make at least a 10% dent in the cost of their favorite location to speed up the process if it were only $$ limited.

Because Tesla owners don't pay more than enough already? :) Fortunately, the majority of the SC network through 2015 was paid for with ZEV credits. Even now, given that every SC is now a revenue generator from every Model 3 and every re-sold Model S/X (applicable only to those units initially delivered after 4/15/2017), it's not so much a money thing as contending with the reality that a lot of the low-hanging fruit is gone. Now, there's also a budding shift in dynamic as well since the more desirable locations will have interest from both Tesla and that *cough* other group with the even *more* vaporous map of North America. Have you seen that thing? They'd have to legalize a lot more than marijuana to make that thing even remotely believable in the next 5 years. Not to mention *scalable*.

There's a macro and a micro consideration here. With regard to the latter, it's hard enough to do business in West Texas as a non-local without simply doing things the right/old-fashioned way. And dropping the ball, for whatever reason, surely hasn't helped. We've seen this in the Southwest Region since inception with Orange County, San Diego County, and now one region over with West Texas.

From a macro view, it would be somewhat fun to see what the top 5 next crowdsourced SC locations would be, in order of preference. I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that San Diego (metropolis and North County both) would be in the Top 5 along with some pretty neglected Canadians who have been more than patient. Throw in West Los Angeles County from Malibu to San Pedro/Long Beach area and a couple of spots on the East Coast plus Washington State and there's a decent Top 10 perhaps.

I'd like to see SCs at every southern POE (Port of Entry) now that Tesla warranties remain in force for travel into Mexico. Also, very soon there will be (finally) acceptable Mexican travel/car insurance that will cover US shop rate in excess of the best I've been able to find so far ($50/hour, which obviously won't work). So imagine being able to charge up and head to Ensenada, Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point), Guaymas/San Carlos, and other vacation destinations within the various tourist zones. We can already get to Acapulco now. After all, we know that there are going to be SCs for (semi) trucks at every POE anyway (commercial rate $0.07 per) in the fullness of time... what's a few more pedestals? :)

Tao - Can you illuminate some on the "do business in West Texas as a non-local"? I used to be in the oil bz and found some West Texas folks pretty rigid in their ways. Do you think there is some local resistance to keep Tesla out of West Texas? I have no recent knowledge of local attitude (data is 30+ years old and things may have changed) but would not be surprised if electric cars are being shunned.

I have a journey in the wings waiting on a better charging circumstance. Still waiting on Ft Stockton. Having just been in Southern Calif..and witnessing the crowded chargers at Qualcomm and San Juan Capistrano...I can see why priorities might be swayed in that direction instead of into hostile Territory.

• Informative
Tao - Can you illuminate some on the "do business in West Texas as a non-local"? I used to be in the oil bz and found some West Texas folks pretty rigid in their ways. Do you think there is some local resistance to keep Tesla out of West Texas? I have no recent knowledge of local attitude (data is 30+ years old and things may have changed) but would not be surprised if electric cars are being shunned.

I have a journey in the wings waiting on a better charging circumstance. Still waiting on Ft Stockton. Having just been in Southern Calif..and witnessing the crowded chargers at Qualcomm and San Juan Capistrano...I can see why priorities might be swayed in that direction instead of into hostile Territory.

I will defer to the nuggets in the For(got)t(en) Stockton SC thread (replete with a 591-day old permit), including the post linked to an enlightening article about a nearby town whose council was considering the installation of a couple of L2 chargers.

That said, not all of West Texas is subject to the whims and vagaries of NADA money and FUD, along with the hesitations common to smaller burgs and those responsible for running them. For example, there is a free 70A charger attached to a building in Iraan attributed to none other than Ira Yates.

Complicating matters more than bureaucratic obfuscation appears to be the news that a) Tesla has failed to communicate in a timely manner with managers at host properties in FS who do want an SC, and b) the matter of some design work that was done and not paid for.

Regardless of what the truth ends up being, if the new SC team member in Houston is still with the company, he might want to pick up where the prior guy responsible for Texas (based in Arizona) left off.

As far as San Diego and SJC are concerned, for years SJC was the only SC in Orange County, which itself was and is one of the most densely (Tesla owner) populated counties on the planet. After neglecting the OC for so long, the neglect moved south to San Diego County which itself remains woefully underserved.

As a note to file away for your next trip to SoCal, when I go to San Diego (and soon into Baja del Norte on a regular basis, pending the advent in a few months of finally acceptable insurance for cross-border soirées), I avoid both SJC and Qualcomm like the plague. Instead, a brief stop or stops at San Clemente work well without waiting.

• Informative
This is a wiki page about prospective Supercharger locations and their progress. Once open they can be moved to the archive table.

StateLocationHwy (Exit)ChargersStatusExpected Open DateNotesThread Link
CAAlamedaUrban12Permit E18-0211 submitted for review 5/14/2018 Construction start on 10/8/1812/18
523 South Shore CenterThread
There is a list of confirmed and completed Supercharger at supercharge.info

OK, figured out how to edit a Wiki here, just hit the edit button at the bottom of the first post. Read the entire thread hoping for a clue, then just figured it out by looking around. Updated the Alameda entry as I am next door so will be posting updates to its thread and saw this entry was not updated about construction beginning.

Took the opportunity to move all the operational entries in California to the archive table. Proofread, but if you see issues let me know.

Cannot figure out why it displays all the wiki codes at the top of the table:
Screen Shot 2018-10-05 at 7.53.07 AM.png

Perhaps it's a bug in the site, as it appears the same in multiple browsers.

-Randy

Reactions: emupilot
OK, figured out how to edit a Wiki here, just hit the edit button at the bottom of the first post. Read the entire thread hoping for a clue, then just figured it out by looking around. Updated the Alameda entry as I am next door so will be posting updates to its thread and saw this entry was not updated about construction beginning.

Took the opportunity to move all the operational entries in California to the archive table. Proofread, but if you see issues let me know.

Cannot figure out why it displays all the wiki codes at the top of the table:
View attachment 341035

Perhaps it's a bug in the site, as it appears the same in multiple browsers.

-Randy
There are a few problems.
The Sheridan "thread" link is in the wrong place.
lots of "isoon as"
I think "as soon as" was meant.

I believe the display at the top will be resolved when the appropriate matching [TR} or [TD} or [/TR] or [/TD]s are resolved and lined up.
Look through the table and you'll see some lines out of place.

Wow! Where are those? Plugshare doesn't show ANY cluster of Destination Chargers that large near the Grand Canyon. How fast do they charge?
They currently provide a max of 0 kW. :) Look closely at the background above the hood of the car in the top picture and you can see that the HPWCs are part of the same installation as the supercharger. They won't get turned on until the whole site is activated.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
So Tesla is providing free electricity? Sweet! I have seen the Destination Charger at the Kettleman Supercharger, but it's in a handicapped space, so I assumed it was not for me. I hear the Richmond, CA site has 1 free charger, but I haven't checked it out. Otherwise I am used to spending money when I get near a Supercharger.

Oh, no, there is the Santana Row destination chargers, but I always thought it was the mall that paid for that power.

Last edited:
I have been maintaining this wiki for quite a while, but I have fallen behind since there has been alot of activity and I haven't had much time. If anyone wants this wiki to continue they will have to start updating it. Just be careful to maintain the pattern of the table formatting since it is not WYSIWYG editing.

I have been maintaining this wiki for quite a while, but I have fallen behind since there has been alot of activity and I haven't had much time. If anyone wants this wiki to continue they will have to start updating it. Just be careful to maintain the pattern of the table formatting since it is not WYSIWYG editing.
It looked like a great idea to maintain this years ago, but supercharge.info seems to be doing the tracking quite nicely.
I'd say job well done, close this chapter.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker