Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Social Chat - Short Term TSLA Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was buying this week's $280's.

I was hoping for a big run today, and it probably would have happened if TSLA already did not have a few big days this week.

I was hoping that the market would realize that this is the day that has morphed TSLA into more than an auto manufacturer.

Looks like we will not be getting the spike I was hoping for.

That is ok, because my other longer term TSLA options are doing really well.

Last edited:
I was buying this weeks $280's.

I was hoping for a big run today, and it probably would have happened if TSLA already did not have a few big days this week.

I was hoping that the market would realize that this is the day that has morphed TSLA into more than an auto manufacturer.

Looks like we will not be getting the spike I was hoping for.

That is ok, because my other longer term TSLA options are doing really well.

Maybe people are still digesting everything? I think the spike could happen at any time. Today, tomorrow, next week...At some point people have to wake up. Then again maybe not.

The enormity of this transition for Tesla as a company to a new stage of its rise to dominance as a premier US manufacturer of transportation and energy solutions, and the path to 500,000 vehicles per year and the massive revenue / profit / share price ($1,500+) that entails, is actually a very complex thing for most investors to understand. Just because we have been living with the company's movements for months/years on this forum, does not mean the market, or even most professional analysts, fully comprehend this transition yet.

But they will, and soon. Buying in before that happens and timing it right is the trick.

Took advantage of the dip to get rid of some of my put options I bought in the upper 250's and 260's as a hedge against negative factors in the giga-factory announcement. Also got rid of a covered call during that drop to 249.

I think we hang out at 250's for a little bit as people consolidate and, in some cases, lick their wounds.

Seems to be some rotation back into AAPL.

I'm found out I'm pretty bad at day trading... the euphoria of my short term call positions going up to 6-8X made me sell too quickly in the past couple of days. Plus the hangover of other fleeting moments, so I left a lot of money on the table. Still, glad to have to gotten the gains I did. Thanks to DaveT and sleepyhead!!

Well, damn, once again being in commute from 6:30-7:15am PST really wrecks my ability to take advantage of the huge morning swings. All the weeklies I bought yesterday went from being big gains to big losses while I was driving.

Well, damn, once again being in commute from 6:30-7:15am PST really wrecks my ability to take advantage of the huge morning swings. All the weeklies I bought yesterday went from being big gains to big losses while I was driving.

Maybe you can pay someone to drive you so you can trade while going to work, and the chauffeur takes the train back. And on low volume mornings you have a nice 45 min nap in the car ;)

The market already has realized it. This was the entire thesis of the Adam Jonas note, and TSLA already ran up 30% on it this week.

That is true, but the details of the deal were a lot better than anyone imagined.

Minimal dilution and smallish $4b-$5b price tag vs. analyst predictions of $5b - $10b.

Falling at the low end on cost was definitely a shock. This also means that they will be able to build 10 gigafactories for $40b-$50b instead of $100b, which is a huge deal.

- - - Updated - - -

I think that Wall St. is completely out of whack on this one.

It must be the shorts piling in huge money to try to knock TSLA down. I don't see it lasting too long.

Everything about the deal announced yesterday was almost too good to be true. This is a not a time to be "selling the news".

That is true, but the details of the deal were a lot better than anyone imagined.

Minimal dilution and smallish $4b-$5b price tag vs. analyst predictions of $5b - $10b.

Falling at the low end on cost was definitely a shock. This also means that they will be able to build 10 gigafactories for $40b-$50b instead of $100b, which is a huge deal.

- - - Updated - - -

I think that Wall St. is completely out of whack on this one.

It must be the shorts piling in huge money to try to knock TSLA down. I don't see it lasting too long.

Everything about the deal announced yesterday was almost too good to be true. This is a not a time to be "selling the news".

Let's not forget that the GF announcement isn't really finished yet. Musk and his cousin from Solarcity are scheduled to have a press conference today. And if we know Musk, he will surely go into more depth and throw us a bone or two regarding the GF and I think that's when we might see the stock react, hopefully.

Maybe you can pay someone to drive you so you can trade while going to work, and the chauffeur takes the train back. And on low volume mornings you have a nice 45 min nap in the car ;)
Heh, yea, not playing with enough cash to make that viable. It's a lot to me, but not that much :)

I cashed out all the weeklies after the jump from the MS upgrade, then rolled all the profit back into new weeklies expecting the gigafactory to at least hold things up nearer $260 where we were at. As long as things get back to $260 by end of Friday I'll hold onto the MS upgrade profits, which we were at at after hours yesterday, before hours this morning, and for a bit at the open today...really surprised at the $10 drop since. Dow is up, Nasdaq is up. It's not like TSLA is fighting a headwind. *shrug* the mysteries of the market.

Heh, yea, not playing with enough cash to make that viable. It's a lot to me, but not that much :)

I cashed out all the weeklies after the jump from the MS upgrade, then rolled all the profit back into new weeklies expecting the gigafactory to at least hold things up nearer $260 where we were at. As long as things get back to $260 by end of Friday I'll hold onto the MS upgrade profits, which we were at at after hours yesterday, before hours this morning, and for a bit at the open today...really surprised at the $10 drop since. Dow is up, Nasdaq is up. It's not like TSLA is fighting a headwind. *shrug* the mysteries of the market.

Well, I dare to guess that it's gonna be action in AH today, when Musk gives the press conference. Let's hope it opens up nicely tomorrow. Musk has got to have more goodies stored for us regarding the GF.

Don't jump all over me guys, but I'm net-short TSLA right now. What happened is just that I took my calls off the table this morning at about $260 and was left with only my hedges. I don't really intend to stay short, just looking for the right place to get long again.

Yes, I am terrified being on the wrong side of TSLA right now.

Don't jump all over me guys, but I'm net-short TSLA right now. What happened is just that I took my calls off the table this morning at about $260 and was left with only my hedges. I don't really intend to stay short, just looking for the right place to get long again.

Yes, I am terrified being on the wrong side of TSLA right now.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooo (just kidding).

I'm not short, but I certainly took profits on Adam Jonas' report, because I set myself up perfectly for that trade and had to enjoy some of the gains. One of the smartest bets of my investing career. The open calls I have are play money now, as they are minor in relation to the profits I took over the last couple days.

I don't have the stomach or heart to openly short TSLA, personally. And naturally, I hope your short positions fail miserably :).