Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Social Chat - Short Term TSLA Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooo (just kidding).

I'm not short, but I certainly took profits on Adam Jonas' report, because I set myself up perfectly for that trade and had to enjoy some of the gains. One of the smartest bets of my investing career. The open calls I have are play money now, as they are minor in relation to the profits I took over the last couple days.

I don't have the stomach or heart to openly short TSLA, personally. And naturally, I hope your short positions fail miserably :).

Do you still have mid term and leaps? your play money comment makes me think you don't. I haven't touched my march options or anything further out.

I am wondering if it's almost better since the iv is so high right now to close some of them and wait for it to drop a little then reestablish them after the iv drops. Is there a chance they would be cheaper even if the stock price goes up a little?

Some of them I'm going to roll up tomorrow because they are so deep. I think tomorrow will open with a gap up. *fingers crossed*

Do you still have mid term and leaps? your play money comment makes me think you don't. I haven't touched my march options or anything further out.

I am wondering if it's almost better since the iv is so high right now to close some of them and wait for it to drop a little then reestablish them after the iv drops. Is there a chance they would be cheaper even if the stock price goes up a little?

Some of them I'm going to roll up tomorrow because they are so deep. I think tomorrow will open with a gap up. *fingers crossed*

Oh I still have LEAPS and core shares untouched, but I cashed out some deep ITM Leaps and March ITM calls. Kept OTM Leaps and bought short term OTM calls.

So yes, I did exit most of my mid-term positions, but that was mostly because the wife said "give me some of that cash!"

I may lose on the weeklies (early March) but I still think we have room to rebound and shoot up on Elon's comments. He's due to start speaking soon I think.

Last edited:
Ditto. There's only so much a delta of 1 can do with X number of contracts. I'd rather have 2X number contracts and lower delta for LEAPS.

If you play your cards right, you can roll up and increase your net delta (with more contracts), while still taking some cash for avg in on pull backs. I'm in process of doing the same - rolling all J15 $250s to a mix of $300 and out to join my existing J16 (undecided on that strike but >$300)

Oh I still have LEAPS and core shares untouched, but I cashed out some deep ITM Leaps and March ITM calls. Kept OTM Leaps and bought short term OTM calls.

So yes, I did exit most of my mid-term positions, but that was mostly because the wife said "give me some of that cash!"

I may lose on the weeklies (early March) but I still think we have room to rebound and shoot up on Elon's comments. He's due to start speaking soon I think.

Thanks; I decided to close out my March Deep ITM calls and my Deep ITM LEAPS. Now I wait.

I wasn't planning on letting them ride, I was planning on the stock consolidating or correcting a little and then buying them back at some point. Maybe I went too far out with them, but I just looked at them and thought they were very overpriced, so I figured I'd sell them. Shrug. Also I really don't mind selling my shares at 525 anytime soon, even if I did let it ride...

I still have plenty of shares to write calls against, and have sold shorter term ones which I was ready to cover with new shares before. I do have plenty of margin to cover buying extra shares should I need to get some called away (is there a way you can designate shares to be called away, or will they pick the right ones, most recently bought or highest strike or whatever?). I sort of just did this trade on a lark earlier today, and didn't expect it to execute, and then it did. So I might start doing the weekly thing more often. Only reason I haven't done it much prior is because right when I started doing options was when everything crashed so I certainly didn't want to miss the recovery.

Put in an order to buy back the LEAPs at cheaper than I sold them, which executed this morning, and sure enough they're now down even though the stock is currently up from when I bought them. Sniped a few hundred bucks, probably could have made a bit more on it.

Now I'm considering making a really wide spread. '16 400/500 bull call spread only costs about 10 bucks.

Oh my, please don't use my wife's profit-taking mandates as the basis for your trading decisions! Hope it works out for you though.

Nothing to do with you or your wife :). Pigs get slaughtered, remember? :) Just needed a friendly reminder to take profits, and not get greedy!

EDIT:
P.S. I am left with only 5 shares. naturally, looking for an opportunity to get back in - but who knows, i may not get that. we'll see

Oh my, please don't use my wife's profit-taking mandates as the basis for your trading decisions! Hope it works out for you though.

Funny...My wife said. Well you have done well, but it is all 'paper profit'.....So I made her happy and sold 2 Deep ITM calls. Holding the rest.....trying...not....to ....let...her....help!

Funny...My wife said. Well you have done well, but it is all 'paper profit'.....So I made her happy and sold 2 Deep ITM calls. Holding the rest.....trying...not....to ....let...her....help!

hilarious-
Course even the new found 'cash' is really only 'paper profit' until you spend it on something :)
Funny how cash will never be 'paper' again

So, how are folks planning to play tomorrow's movement? With the AH jump, I tend to think we'll see another bump up out of the gate tomorrow. After that, I don't know-I'd like to think the market in general will see the importance of the giga announcement and its smart financing and continue upward, but I'm not sure how confident in that assessment I should be.

Zaxxon 0, Market 1.

"Mershaw 15, shorts 1"
That is a good point. I increased exposure to tesla today and feel like an idiot. I guess I'm starting to get that scared feeling again. Did you guys see Doug Kass's comment "imbalance sell at close"? He's indicating it will gap down tomorrow. now, honestly watching him struggle to find anything to send this stock down has been interesting, but this is finally getting to me.
i need a hug and a julian cox/curt renz/luvb post. Or maybe for the new people sleepyhead/davet/fluxcap long post. And I'm sure there's a few more of you out there that have been kind enough to share your thoughts in long posts that I just missed.

- - - Updated - - -

Why don't we have good electric motorcycles??

Last edited:
Thought the best place for my take on E.M. at the Conference today: Some of this is already known>

1. Carbon tax needed to force competition and adoption of alternative energy sources.

2. Autonomous cars: Reaffirmed that it is more like autopilot for a plane: It will free up many of the tasks that a driver/pilot would have and make the vehicle safer.

3. Gigafactory will produce standing storage batteries as well as batteries for the cars

4. Model E: Savings versus Model S: 20% comes from the fact the car will be 20% smaller than the car and 30% from reduction in cost of battery pack; So 50% less than base
model S ($70K is the S; 35K is the base E)

5. BAttery format: They will continue to use the 18650 format: best $/KW

6. Battery swap: Delayed while working on other 'issues': Pilot program S.F to L.A. will come in 'next few months'; if practical/successful then will expand.

"Mershaw 15, shorts 1"
That is a good point. I increased exposure to tesla today and feel like an idiot. I guess I'm starting to get that scared feeling again. Did you guys see Doug Kass's comment "imbalance sell at close"? He's indicating it will gap down tomorrow. now, honestly watching him struggle to find anything to send this stock down has been interesting, but this is finally getting to me.
i need a hug and a julian cox/curt renz/luvb post. Or maybe for the new people sleepyhead/davet/fluxcap long post. And I'm sure there's a few more of you out there that have been kind enough to share your thoughts in long posts that I just missed.

He's a desperate short pulling out any idea he can to scare longs. I've been reading posts like his for a year on the yahoo message boards. There's plenty of people who know a lot of technical jargon, and can mis-use it to create something to scare longs.

Just the fact that he thinks the Cadillac ELR is competition means his opinion is not of high worth. You're better off not reading his scare mongering. I've stopped reading that type of stuff, and scaring myself everyday.

Why don't we have good electric motorcycles??

I haven't looked closely because my motorcycle days are over, but some people at my work raved about Zero, and there are at least a couple of other brands. Unless, of course, you like Hardly-Drivables, I mean Highly-Dangerouses, err, Hearing-Destroyers, no... Harley-Davidson, that's it... no electric will ever make enough noise.

"Mershaw 15, shorts 1"

I don't feel too smart myself. Or maybe I feel like I'm too smart? It's not our fault that we see yesterday's announcement as big as it is and the market didn't. The fact that the week has already been big coupled with our friends at GS and BOA being silly outweighed what seems to us like obvious great news.

This is why options are dangerous. We are betting on what THE MARKET thinks the company should be worth by a certain time, not what the company actually is worth or should be worth. Makes me want to sell all medium/short term options and load up on leaps!