Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Filing Formal Complaint: 057 Technology Battery Plans

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sadly, this is a quite well confirmed incorrect interpretation of the service plan terms (all versions). 057 always had the ability to activate the plan.

If you want to get into the nitty gritty of it, the Battery Monitoring Device in the case of one not being explicitly shipped? Your vehicle's MCU. 057 had alternative methods of monitoring battery packs for customers that didn't have an 057-designed device installed via Tesla both official (and unofficial in a few cases) service API endpoints (to my knowledge, still not a publicly available thing with Tesla AFAIK). This qualifies as a battery monitoring device under the terms of the existing service plans, and this capability was available well before you signed up. This was made clear in the online portal, with activation and expiration dates. Not all vehicles needed an 057-designed physical monitoring device. A third party, Tesla, had already installed one for you in the form of remote service endpoints via your MCU.

The battery monitoring was always to protect 057 from nefarious customers. Helping with other aspects of monitoring was a side effect of that, but not the product. The product was to perform service/repair/replacement in the event of an issue.

I may underestimate the amount of effort that went into making this service possible at all.
Jason, nothing you stated above is explicitly stated in your terms and conditions document. I never received the BMD as specifically outlined in said documents. My plan was thus never activated. As I understand it, you are no longer involved in anything 057 related, so if the new owners have any issues with my chargeback, they can fight that battle. As I have passed all pertinent documentation to my credit card company.

Now the Tesla MCU is the BMD? Interesting.
The problem is, the Tesla MCU cellular antenna transmits its data to Tesla only, not 057.
> So, all 4 of those yellow highlighted contract requirements have still never been satisfied.
-> So, not a single service plan ever activated (according to your own contract language).
--> So, everyone is still entitled to a full refund.

Yes, these "fraudulent charge-back" accusations are really the pot calling the kettle black.

Now the Tesla MCU is the BMD? Interesting.
The problem is, the Tesla MCU cellular antenna transmits its data to Tesla only, not 057.
> So, all 4 of those yellow highlighted contract requirements have still never been satisfied.
-> So, not a single service plan ever activated (according to your own contract language).
--> So, everyone is still entitled to a full refund.

Yes, these "fraudulent charge-back" accusations are really the pot calling the kettle black.
👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

If you want to get into the nitty gritty of it, the Battery Monitoring Device in the case of one not being explicitly shipped? Your vehicle's MCU. 057 had alternative methods of monitoring battery packs for customers that didn't have an 057-designed device installed via Tesla both official (and unofficial in a few cases) service API endpoints (to my knowledge, still not a publicly available thing with Tesla AFAIK). This qualifies as a battery monitoring device under the terms of the existing service plans, and this capability was available well before you signed up.
This is all talking out loud, I'm not making accusations, just looking for answers:

Ok, so you are actively/currently monitoring BMD data? Seems the people I've been in communication with, and myself, don't have one. It sounds like you HAD(?) the ability to monitor every one of your active subscribers'* vehicles, even without a BMD? Since September, what steps have you taken to monitor non-BMD cars? I mean, devil's advocate here: if you're advising @ccalahan to pro-rate a chargeback, shouldn't you be pro-rating refunds?

* Problem: from what it sounds like, via the TN DCA communication, Reid didn't really have any interest in the service plans and that was your job - when you left, the monitoring and repairs ceased altogether. Is this correct, or not?

This was made clear in the online portal, with activation and expiration dates.

I dunno about anyone else, but my portal never had such information. Anyone else have info on this?

This was made clear in the online portal, with activation and expiration dates.
Addendum: actually, just recalled that i had spoken to someone else on this very portal topic a little while back: they said that they also never had activation and expiration info and implied this was a known issue with their account.

In 2023, at the time, I took this "error" as meaning my account was still "pending" while waiting on the BMD.

This is all talking out loud, I'm not making accusations, just looking for answers:

Ok, so you are actively/currently monitoring BMD data? Seems the people I've been in communication with, and myself, don't have one. It sounds like you HAD(?) the ability to monitor every one of your active subscribers'* vehicles, even without a BMD? [snip]
I could be wrong but am not believing what 057 has said about remote battery monitoring, seems like more smoke and mirrors. That's because a new direct telemetry system (probably got this phrasing wrong) has just been implemented by Tesla within the last couple of months. I know this from using the wonderful Tessie app to remotely monitor my car. This app was updated to take advantage of the new direct telemetry system. For anyone to get the new data, they have to upgrade their app which then asks for permission from you to allow the app access to your Tesla account.

Maybe there's more info available, but for Tessie, many battery metrics can now be monitored by the user once giving permission.

I bet no one has been asked for permission to get access to their Tesla account in regards to 057.

1000028605.jpg

Last edited:
I could be wrong but am not believing what 057 has said about remote battery monitoring, seems like more smoke and mirrors. That's because a new direct telemetry system (probably got this phrasing wrong) has just been implemented by Tesla within the last couple of months. I know this from using the wonderful Tessie app to remotely monitor my car. This app was updated to take advantage of the new direct telemetry system. For anyone to get the new data, they have to upgrade their app which then asks for permission from you to allow the app access to your Tesla account.

Maybe there's more info available, but for Tessie, many battery metrics can now be monitored by the user once giving permission.

I bet no one has been asked for permission to get access to their Tesla account in regards to 057.

View attachment 1031450
Interesting! Just went to my Tessie app and direct telemetry data is not available on my older Model S. Booooooo!

View attachment 1031450

Gotta go to the ! that's to the right of the car's name and select manage telemetry. If it's not there you can also post a question directly to Tessie on their vendor thread here on TMC.
View attachment 1031529
My car is too old. It’s a 2014. TMC isn’t letting me attach a photo. It shows within Tessie “Vehicle does not support direct telemetry”.

Fascinating how wk057 said so much yet also didn't really give any answers as to what happened to the business and why.
This has been ongoing since January. It's been frustrating for a lot of people, especially Jason (obviously). But he chooses to tell us we're wrong, but rarely explains why he's right...

CrankyGypsy said:
The reality: there was no physical shop to facilitate any work.

Also incorrect, although may soon turn out to be the case.
What city is this facility in? Who and where was assigned for Service Plan repair? At last count (please correct me if I'm wrong), I vaguely think I had noted (if they were assigned congruently) that 057tech's portal had thousands of new tickets from Dec 2023 to Feb 2024. None of mine were answered and I've not heard of any others getting replies. Frankly, I just don't believe 057 Companies ever wanted to be part of this without you. You seem to be blaming me for everyone's current situation.

I'm sorry these questions are getting more pointed, Jason. But it still feels, to many of us, that you're only making excuses in hopes we go away. I hope you see that I'm trying very hard to give you the benefit of the doubt, here. To loosely paraphrase someone in my DMs: it's like Jason is trying to backtrack and conjure up admirable rationale for deplorable actions he had never considered explaining, like he didn't expect this to happen.

I went back to the "main thread" to see how the discovery all unfolded and noticed the large amounts of radio silence from Jason.

Jan 6, 2023 Jason: "If nothing goes wrong before receiving the BMD, then you activate at that time and your 2 years officially starts from that point. So because of how we're handling it, you effectively, but unofficially, get free coverage in the meantime. Only fair, IMO." Very generous, thank you. I know the Terms got updated after this, but this is what some of us that didn't get a notice of the terms update kept believing. I'm not personally holding you to this, but it would have been nice to know the BMD wasn't required ... and probably wasn't coming.
June 6, 2023: 057 Companies is registered in TN. Allegedly this company purchases 057 Technology's assets. Allegedly 057 Technology continues to operate.
Aug 28, 2023 Jason: "Lots going on. Some good things, some not great things. Frontline support is stretched thin at the moment and we're just not getting to all calls/emails. Will post an update soon."
Sept 8, 2023 per Julien Reid, this is when 057 Companies (new 057 in TN) went out of business. In his communication with the TN DCA, Reid claims 057 Technology (old 057 in NC) and 057 Companies are completely separate entities. He goes on to say that 057 Comp only bought certain assets, which he claims they no longer have.
Sept 12, 2023 There seems to be a server issue happening at 057 in early September. Couple short, unremarkable updates from Jason. Otherwise, posting as-if business is status quo. (there are a few forum members claiming they have not been able to reach 057 for awhile)
Sept 18, 2023 057 Technology's location is empty and listed on MLS. Still no promised update.
Sept 24, 2023 Jason finally breaks two weeks of silence. "Lots of work and lots of changes." No mention of the asset purchase, no mention of the repair facility, and implies services are being handled despite claims by forum members.
Oct 25, 2023 NC SOS search turns up that 057 Technology has already been filed as "Administration Dissolved."
Jan 3, 2024 Jason finally admits it for the first time and this must be the update we've been waiting for: "I sold 100% of 057 Tech early in 2023...and I later left the company in the summer..." Jason goes on to say he's still working with his attorney to make an update. He's still trying to figure this out since summer 2023, I guess? However, Jason continues, "I've moved on from any regular business work involving Tesla stuff, but I'll continue to contribute where I can as an enthusiast..." I think this is the most important statement of the entire thread. At least I can finally stop feeling guilty for ruining it for everyone else.
Jan 4, 2024 CrankyGypsy enters the chat. I only found out about this due to a post through a group on another website.
Jan 6, 2024 Jason states, "...It's just not my problem anymore...Have a battery issue? Contact 057 as noted in the service plan terms." Good luck with that, everyone.
Mar 21, 2024 Reid states to the TN DCA, "We did NOT purchase the 057 Technology Company, and statements by the owner of 057 Technology on a Tesla forum does not change the legal facts. We purchased certain assets of the company, but not the company. Therefor, we do not have any responsibility to previous customers."

Ok @wk057 , you can continue with the gaslighting again.

I know you said if you ever win the lottery, you'd make sure every subscriber's battery is taken care of. Heck, I'm gonna make the same promise right here and right now: if I win the lottery, I'll make sure everyone that Jason turned his back on gets taken care of. There is one rule: be sure to post your invoice in this thread for the record. Thank you.

Last edited:
What can you do to help us Extended Warranty purchasers get justice from the people you sold the company to? You clearly see we've been screwed over. Maybe ask your lawyer if they're willing to start up a class-action lawsuit against whoever you sold the company to. That would show a similar good faith effort as those like myself that gave you thousands of dollars to protect my car's battery. I'm not looking to screw you out of money, but you can help us fight the people that are actively screwing us out of money.

Sleeping on this, I realize I should get ahead of Jason in case he decides to retroactively rationalize his secrecy again:

Jan 6, 2025 After advising anyone with an issue to contact the new 057, Jason closes with, "Again, I've nothing to do with any of this anymore, and I guess it's just best that I go back to ignoring this thread."

I feel, at that point, the majority of "hate" was fairly surface-level forum ranting begging for answers. Sure, there were some frustrated ventings, but that wasn't entirely unwarranted and Jason should have known this would happen. Heck, some people were remaining very level-headed while claiming to have battery issues while feeling they were actively being ignored. It feels like Jason had already fully-checked out by the first week of January. There was no mention of getting anything corrected. Rather than focus on customer questions, he pulled the usual move to deflect and instead detailed a sour experience that is typical to every business owner. A full seven months after leaving the business, he eventually came up with a half-baked story that he was doing something to remedy the losses. Was he making an arrangement with someone like ReCell to finish the contracts? He certainly did not allude to this within that seven months...

Feb 10, 2024 Jason had last made a few unremarkable statements a full month prior, and stated today, "...DM me and I will see what I can do...while I think folks mean well, but please stop linking me here. I really shouldn't be wasting time on this..." Some people, including myself, saw a glimmer of false hope that the newer 057 Companies was going to come through for us - there is zero speculation of another [warranty] shop taking over the contracts.

Feb 20, 2024 Jason resurfaced only to say that no one was directly contacting him on TMC or his personal email (which is on a site I didn't know existed).

Feb 22, 2024 The thread tension level was getting red-hot. Jason chimed in to say his TMC DM box is "messed up." Again, he deflected, this time with a lengthy history of forming 057. I'll admit, it worked on me a little, too. He closed with, "I need to just move on from Tesla-related everything I think...Best wishes to all."

TOTAL SILENCE

March 23, 2023 Jason gaslit me for trying to rationally fill in the blanks that he simply wouldn't. My favorite being:
- Hughes claims he [secretly] sold the company in June 2023
WK057: "Nothing secret about it. Everyone who did business following the sale knew who they were doing business with."
Ok, I'll assume this is true. But what about the overwhelming majority of us that never actually dealt with 057 Companies OR knew of any sale OR noticed the subtle name change?

He then went on to backtrack with this never-before mentioned, savior-like revelation, "But since everyone who knows me knows I'm actually the exact opposite type of person that a few people here, like [CrankyGypsy], would want you to believe, the moment I thought there might be a lapse in 057's ability to service vehicles for service plan folks, I personally worked on seeing what could be done to cleanly close out 057 Tech/Companies service plans and other warranties, and did my best to guide others towards these efforts while remaining within the confines of contracts/agreements I'm still bound by. Considering I don't have direct control of either company at this point, it'd be quite a difficult feat to do much of anything. But, for quite a while I'd personally been working towards some arrangements to make sure anyone who had a service plan and had an actual issue would be taken care of... hence the previous notes asking that any such folks directly contact me IF they have a problem. There's still a chance I could make it happen, but seeming less and less likely, partially as a direct result of the actions by people in this thread. It's pretty hard to convince the necessary people to work with me on this when a bunch of the people who'd benefit from it are just publicly and purposefully causing chaos and headaches. Some have even publicly stated the purpose being to "annoy 057", which is just sad. No one wants to deal with that or be associated with it."

I sincerely believe that you tried to arrange something in September, I do. However, it's all sounding way to convenient, now. Sorry Jason, I want to believe you and I/we gave you plenty of time to say this before. Any ideas of moving in a direction towards a new party handling repairs seem to only ever have been considered when the fires weren't burning out on their own.

I bought the plan in April 2023 to take effect in October 2023 (when Tesla warranty was due to expire) right when the SSHTF (extra S is for started) on TMC. Saved an extra $50 by not waiting!!!! Woot! It came out later that you were at least starting your exit by the time I bought? "I sold the company in early 2023," right?

I realize there was no guarantee that you the expert would be overseeing repairs but it was certainly implied by all the salesman posts here over the past couple years. And anyone reading TMC looking at the plan would have made that assumption. I paid 057 tech but 057 companies was taking payments from others by the time my plan was to have started, which we just recently learned. So in January 2024 when at least 2 people *with battery problems* say they can't reach old/new/057/tech/company/whomever I figured okay I've been on the fence long enough I better get what I can back and tell my credit card company that I paid someone for something that someone else(?) isn't going to let me use as intended, if needed. Then you say people like me are defrauding 057 by making a chargeback and I'm dead to you. OK if you didn't screw us, you know darn well who did. If there's no service center for us to use our service plans then effectively I have no real active service plan that I pre-paid for. And even if one gets set up I have no faith we will all put everything behind us and that new-057-whomever will honor the service plan if I canceled my chargeback. Flash forward: "Oh he's the jerk who did a chargeback? Give him the crappy battery we were going to split up for solar storage". Also nobody answered my question in one of these threads about where is the new service plan fulfillment center going to be? If you were on the opposite coast I probably wouldn't have bought. And without a BMD who's to say I would tow my bricked car to NC/TN/wherever and then 057/whomever decides that my problem isn't covered under the plan when having the BMD in hand you would have at least told me that before the tow?

So: I'm willing to accept a mostly-partial refund from Oct 22 2023 until my chargeback date in January but that's still only ~3 months used out of my 24 so it doesn't move the needle much. But that's fair, I could have put in my chargeback before October/plan start/per original terms, or before January, and Wells Fargo only let me dispute a charge in full I didn't see a way to dispute a charge in part. Even though the fact that if I needed to use my plan between Oct 2023 and Jan 2024 I'd also be out of luck (based on others' experiences and the notion that there doesn't seem to even be a place for people to go a "service plan fulfillment center" if you will), if that's the way we can go our separate ways amicably then great. I am as stand up a guy as others have said in the past about you. (Also bought plan based off said testimonials, as did others).

What was I supposed to do wait until I have a battery problem in August 2025, find out 057 doesn't exist and the service plan I paid for is worthless, so here's a 2 month partial refund (24 months would be until October 2025)? Unacceptable.

Last edited: