Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Social Chat - Short Term TSLA Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sometimes I read the Yahoo TSLA message boards for a little laugh, the level is low but at times you can find gold nuggets there. Today someone named "sahointl" posted this which I found very interesting. We know most of it on TMC but if his post is genuine then it's nice to hear about his encounter with a Tesla employee. Point number 7 is very interesting and maybe we'll only hear more about it when Elon writes his memoirs :)

"My visit to California - not insder information but good sound bites...
I cannot say who I met or where and what department I was at - but I was at Tesla. Here are a couple of things I learned: 1. Demand is all about allocation now and China is starting to suck it up so all model S buyers need to get their orders in now or completely face delays of 2-3 or more months. 2. The hwy fire fears were complete freak accidents - one was when the car hit a trailer hitch on the highway and the trailer hitch split through one inch of armor to hit the battery - the fire was minor and the one in Toronto is complete hype - so far nothing to do with the car. 3. The gigafactory will produce a battery that will GIVE ENERGY back to the home eventually!! The assembly is like nothing I have ever seen - not very many parts at all - this is not like a traditional auto manufacturer. 4. The company employees say that this is the best company that they have ever worked for and that the company is very fair but not giving out a lot of employee stock - shareholders come first. 5. Their supply to the auto industry is ramping up. 6. The supercharger plans will blow your mind in 2014-2015. 7. Energy and auto companies are playing a lot more dirty tricks on tesla than what we know main stream and this keeps the govt relations people busy but Tesla is prevailing. 8. The company offers its own financing plan that will guarantee the buy back of the car, but it is 3.5 apr + 10% down. They can go out 72 months. 9. When I drove the car, my caretaker told me to gun it - it went so fast that I about hit the car in front of me. I was shocked. My BMW Is a piece of trash compared to the Model S."

I'm not selling a single stock for years to come. I think anyone selling now to try and time the dips is taking a big gamble. TSLA will keep going up because for every day that goes more people realize the enormous impact Tesla will have and every day new investors will want to have a piece of that cake. I honestly think Tesla will be one of the biggest, if not the biggest company in the world eventually.

I'm with you on this part (slightly less so on the messianic Elon worship), but If I were to sell stock, it would be to clear some margin debit and realize some gains, not to try to time dips. I agree with you about timing dips being hard. If I sell some (a small amount, as mentioned above) and then get to take advantage of a dip later, great, but that isn't the main reason. The main reason is I'm up hundreds of thousands of dollars, much more than I ever dreamed might happen right now, and might as well make a small amount real.

I'm with you on this part (slightly less so on the messianic Elon worship), but If I were to sell stock, it would be to clear some margin debit and realize some gains, not to try to time dips. I agree with you about timing dips being hard. If I sell some (a small amount, as mentioned above) and then get to take advantage of a dip later, great, but that isn't the main reason. The main reason is I'm up hundreds of thousands of dollars, much more than I ever dreamed might happen right now, and might as well make a small amount real.

My thoughts exactly. No shame in getting rich by selling some of your shares early.

Yes I understand your situation and I might have sold a small part myself and diversify into real estate etc if I had many shares. Too often I read about people selling at 90, 120, 160 etc and hoping to buy in cheaper only to see the train leaving the station, it's such a frustrating situation.

Well, rats. I was hoping TSLA would bounce back towards yesterday's open. Looks like I can kiss my weeks gains goodbye. Stupid to roll the gains into new weeklies for the gigafactory announcement I guess. Went from one of my best weeks ever to a zero gain. The day's still young I suppose.

Well, rats. I was hoping TSLA would bounce back towards yesterday's open. Looks like I can kiss my weeks gains goodbye. Stupid to roll the gains into new weeklies for the gigafactory announcement I guess. Went from one of my best weeks ever to a zero gain. The day's still young I suppose.

Not stupid ckessel, just taking an educated chance that didn't pay off this time. A lot of us did the same, me included. Though I admit I didn't buy today's weeklies, but next week's. Your time will come, friend!

This. Sure wish I had decided to try a larger amount on weeklies one day earlier. ​Lesson learned.

Ugh. Days like these. I'm holding a stupid amount of common right now. Glad I didn't play the weeklies, but doubled up on my common in the past 2 days and now i'm eating it hard. I didn't want to play options with the stock at this level, instead I went common and sold the 360 june calls because the premium was good. However, then premium skyrocketed but the stock price went down, killing me on both fronts. Essentially the options doubled in value (i was short them) and the stock is down 10 dollars, sucking me 1500 dollars for every 100 shares I picked up. I think we find some support in the 242/243 range.

Ugh. Days like these. I'm holding a stupid amount of common right now. Glad I didn't play the weeklies, but doubled up on my common in the past 2 days and now i'm eating it hard.
Yep, really depressing end to the weekly. We're down over $20 from the high. I've got 100% loss on the MS upgrade gains. By doubling down on the weeklies for the gigafactory, I turned a great week for the stock itself into nothing. I would have been fine with the stock just running flat with relatively minor losses, but this is a pretty big correction since Wednesday's open.

Don't jump all over me guys, but I'm net-short TSLA right now. What happened is just that I took my calls off the table this morning at about $260 and was left with only my hedges. I don't really intend to stay short, just looking for the right place to get long again.

Yes, I am terrified being on the wrong side of TSLA right now.

Started to reverse my positions just now. Still net short, but much less short as of $243. Made a good bit of coin today. Feels like dirty money though. :redface:

Yep, really depressing end to the weekly. We're down over $20 from the high. I've got 100% loss on the MS upgrade gains. By doubling down on the weeklies for the gigafactory, I turned a great week for the stock itself into nothing. I would have been fine with the stock just running flat with relatively minor losses, but this is a pretty big correction since Wednesday's open.

Overall though remember how hard it seemed to break 200? Long term we will be fine

Started to reverse my positions just now. Still net short, but much less short as of $243. Made a good bit of coin today. Feels like dirty money though. :redface:
Had I not been in commute Thursday morning, I was going to buy puts to cover the various calls/shares I had since it was back close to the ATH. By the time I got into work, it'd already dropped enough it didn't seem worth while. I wish I'd still bought them now of course. Would have really kept a lid on the losses.