Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Social Chat - Short Term TSLA Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes. Several people in the 'Short-Term TSLA Price Movements' thread did this. Personally I bought shares at around $220, on the way down. Made for 2 unpleasant weeks but I don't think the slide really shook anyone's faith in the company's fundamentals.

It sure seemed like TSLA was going down (it had been up to 292 or so) and last week it was down to 206, then high 190s. I grabbed some more shares, and now it is up to 220s. So I am figuring I wasn't the only one to think that the price going below 200 was a "sale." Were others of you watching for that and saw that as an opportunity?

Funny enough, after the mid-October "sale", global, local, company circumstances and the media FUDdy-duddies made relying on my trusty old plastic ruler feel somehow wrong (it was GREAT for the first 5 purchases!).

Feeling a bit lost (Nov. 5), I just divided the play money in my account (less ~$20) by the number of shares I wanted (to get to a nice round number) and set a GTC order as a sort of placeholder while I continued to ruminate on price movement. $196.29 was a totally arbitrary trigger price that I didn't think would actually get hit.

SURPRISE!!! :biggrin:

So no, I wasn't watching for it, but yes, it was a nice opportunity!

Happy Tuesday!

elon latest tweet

@elonmusk: Roadster upgrade will enable non-stop travel from LA to SF -- almost 400 mile range. Details tmrw. Merry Christmas!

@elonmusk: Should mention that a battery pack upgrade is not coming soon for the Model S, but it obviously *will* happen long-term.

Well, I just sold off a bunch of far OTM options (20 contracts, I think) to get the losses, planning to buy some back in 31 days, still have a pretty good delta on TSLA but I guess I sort of hope we stagnate before quarterly earnings (which will be after my wash sale period is over, so I can speculate on them if I like). I guess this means I'm out of any auto show speculation, but would still be happy if something happens, since I still have plenty of TSLA left.

I did buy a 5 contract bull call spread on dec 9th, but closed it today for a very small profit, so I think that shouldn't affect any wash sales since even though it was opened within 30 days, it was closed today. I know wash sales count 30 days after and prior though, and since I bought a call and sold a call, it could trigger just about anything...but if I closed that position then that should mean the purchase on dec 9 doesn't really count, right? Does anyone know how that would work? Even if it does, since I sold 20 contracts and the spread was 5, then at least I still have only a partial wash sale.

I figured I might as well close the positions now, and then if something changes within 30 days, I can always buy things back and then just deal with the taxes as they come. It's not the end of the world if I have to pay some taxes, was just trying to balance out my large ST gains this year with ST losses.

Last edited: