Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Social Chat - Short Term TSLA Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a tidbit on the old Tesla-Apple rumor: I have long speculated that the purpose of the Apple & Elon meeting that had the market abuzz with merger rumors was really about Apple trying to get its products into Tesla's cars. The thing is, it would be extraordinarily difficult to seamlessly integrate Apple software into Tesla's fully-integrated car software without completely rewriting the code that runs the Tesla, which would be utterly pointless and would more than likely severely degrade the product for no benefit to Tesla or its customers.

But it would appear Apple is still trying to push into the car "infotainment" market -- saw this this morning:

Apple is reportedly launching iOS in the Car next week with Ferrari, Mercedes and Volvo

Having ios software run a car's mp3 player, nav and phone, maybe do some calendar and web tricks, is not the same thing as building, testing and optimizing a fully-integrated car command & control system like Tesla's engineers have done over the last decade.

This news actually makes me even more confident that every other automaker on the planet is completely behind Tesla Motors in the critical "Secret Sauce" of the car's software. They will either need to buy Tesla's integrated solution sometime in the future, hire hundreds of Silicon Valley engineers and build their own integrated car software, or risk obsolescence.

Before they could hire hundreds of talented software types from the valley they would actually need to find hundreds that would want to work for them. Or hey, Microsoft or RIM could do this, right?

Good points.

Integration is not the way to go. Developing a unique system from scratch is the solution.

My understanding is that iOS in car allows an iPhone owner to run certain apps on the phone (like maps and music) through their car's multimedia display.

This kind of integration may have some advantages:

(1) The end-user gets some interface consistency going from phone to car. Those who are familiar with iPhone won't have to re-learn a new system.

(2) Software is certified and updated through Apple, so users are assured a high degree of usability (before, one could not be sure if the latest iPhone would always work with a car's entertainment system, even if it used to work with older iPhones).

Having the car become a wrapper for an iOS device may be a selling point for some customers. Some car makers are going to want the Apple halo for this reason.

I don't know that this matters much for Tesla, so long as the Tesla interface is easy to use and looks great.

Does Tesla have integration for services like Siri and Google Now?

I think my brokerage uses last trade at all times.

And I did like the stock replacement move, but it didn't result in quite as much upward movement as I expected. I was hoping to increase my leverage when it went down (130-140ish) by selling shares and getting more itm leaps, but I ended up with about the same leverage up as I had before. It did decrease my margin debit though, which helped a lot because I was in danger of getting margin called at the time. So I think it was mostly a good move. Tried to replicate that just now too, sold enough to be net cash and replaced with leap spreads - taking some profit but hopefully still getting to participate in nearly as much upside. Hope it works out, still getting the hang of complex options.

good deal... to juice the leverage going forward, move the strike up some- remember since they are LEAPS you can worry a bit less about expiration value; I just posted a min-tutorial on my experience using LEAPS for stock in the Advance Options thread if interested.

I guess we all remember what's happening tomorrow? The european car of the year award.
I do not have the exact time, but it will probably be before the market opens in the US:

"The final vote and the announcement of the winner will take place on March 3, 2014 at the Congress Centre at Palexpo during the opening of the Press Days. The presentation ceremony will take place in the lobby at the Press Centre. Attendance will be reserved only for journalists accredited by the Motor Show organisers and for exhibitors. It will be transmitted live on the Motor Show website, 84e Salon International de lautomobile, exposition internationale de voitures, as well as on the Car of the Year website Car of the Year. This will be the first announcement made before the opening of the Geneva International Motor show."

The election of The Car of the Year will be full of suspense and surprises! - Geneva Motor Show 2014

The model S is not expected to win, but you never know.

I guess we all remember what's happening tomorrow? The european car of the year award.
I do not have the exact time, but it will probably be before the market opens in the US:

"The final vote and the announcement of the winner will take place on March 3, 2014 at the Congress Centre at Palexpo during the opening of the Press Days. The presentation ceremony will take place in the lobby at the Press Centre. Attendance will be reserved only for journalists accredited by the Motor Show organisers and for exhibitors. It will be transmitted live on the Motor Show website, 84e Salon International de lautomobile, exposition internationale de voitures, as well as on the Car of the Year website Car of the Year. This will be the first announcement made before the opening of the Geneva International Motor show."

The election of The Car of the Year will be full of suspense and surprises! - Geneva Motor Show 2014

The model S is not expected to win, but you never know.

Thanks Norse. Is there another car expected to win? And if so why?
just curious as I haven't followed this contest or auto show before but it would be a nice feather in the cap if Tesla won this one as well.

Thanks Norse. Is there another car expected to win? And if so why?
just curious as I haven't followed this contest or auto show before but it would be a nice feather in the cap if Tesla won this one as well.

I think I read somewhere that the Mercedes is the favorite. It is an awesome car, and it is European. Then again, the Leaf won two years ago. Also check out the new Volvo Concept Estate, who do you think inspired them? :)

Tech Crunch press Release

A few new details about Tesla’s upcoming ‘affordable’ electronic vehicle came out of a talk the company’s founder and CEO Elon Musk gave last week, and Electrek has the key takeaways from the event. Musk shared info around what we can expect from the upcoming mass market ‘Model E’ from the electric car-maker, and those details suggest we’ll see a car with double the range and battery capacity of existing affordable electrics.

Musk said that the Model E will be about 20 percent smaller than the Model S, and that it’ll attain the same 200 mile range on a single charge. That led Electrek to the logical conclusion that the Model E’s battery will be around 80 percent the capacity of that found in the Model S, which amounts to around 48kWh. That’s still over double the 24kWh battery in the Nissan Leaf, which has an estimated range of 75 miles on a full charge.

The Model E should be priced at around $35,000 or half the entry-level cost of the Model S, thanks to economies of scale and improvements to battery production tech, which would indeed put it within striking distance for a mass market car buying audience. It would also make Tesla the market leader in an entirely new category when it comes to electric vehicles, which is good news for the car maker’s bottom line over the next decade or so.

Tesla recently announced that it would be building a battery “gigafactory” to help it drive down the costs of its battery packs by over 30 percent, which is designed in term to help it build ad scale production of its mass market vehicle, which it wants to bring to market within around three years’ time.

...Musk said that the Model E will be about 20 percent smaller than the Model S...

If by that he means the Model E would have all linear dimensions at 80% of a Model S, that would place battery surface area at 64%. Overall car volume would be 51%. Normally, weight would be commensurate with volume, but due to several factors, especially that the battery may retain the same thickness, the car's weight would be greater than implied by volume and perhaps closer to that implied by area.

Last edited:
I don't think that the Model E volume will be 51% that of the Model S.

When Elon says 20% smaller, I assume that he means 20% less materials used. I also think that there was a quote from JB or someone else who said that the Model E will not be much smaller than the Model S.

If the Model S weighs 4600 lbs then the Model E will weigh ~3700 lbs.

I don't think that the Model E volume will be 51% that of the Model S.When Elon says 20% smaller, I assume that he means 20% less materials used. I also think that there was a quote from JB or someone else who said that the Model E will not be much smaller than the Model S.If the Model S weighs 4600 lbs then the Model E will weigh ~3700 lbs.
This is a pretty good read about stock manipulation. and inspired some introspection. Though I'd share.Jonathan Lebed: Stock Manipulator, S.E.C. Nemesis -- and 15 - New York Times

Wow, quite a few TSLA buyers pushing things up from the open. Some of you guys have more cojones than me -- I'm out of the market almost entirely until Putin decides whether or not to shoot at people.

Dabbling in VXX, but more for experimentation than actual gains.