Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Social Chat - Short Term TSLA Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, quite a few TSLA buyers pushing things up from the open. Some of you guys have more cojones than me -- I'm out of the market almost entirely until Putin decides whether or not to shoot at people.

Dabbling in VXX, but more for experimentation than actual gains.

No cojones for me, just TSLA withdrawal symptoms. I put in a buy limit this weekend at $250, but got it for $236.79. I was surprised the price dropped that much over the weekend.

Wow, quite a few TSLA buyers pushing things up from the open. Some of you guys have more cojones than me -- I'm out of the market almost entirely until Putin decides whether or not to shoot at people.

Buying up LEAPS as stock replacement. Will see how that goes. I trimmed back some of position on TSLA (but still have about 2/3 of original position), luckily at $257 last week to pursue this new strategy. Will still dabble in short term options but proibably not this week. Too much geopolitical uncertainty.

<=== IS STILL SHORT :scared:

I tried to get a little less short this morning when it opened down 3.5% but I wasn't fast enough. I'm hoping for a return to the LoD before the day is through so I can give that a second shot.

No cojones for me, just TSLA withdrawal symptoms. I put in a buy limit this weekend at $250, but got it for $236.79. I was surprised the price dropped that much over the weekend.
ok a no cojones strategy for you. keep the stock (suspect it will recover, drop not related to company) and sell short term calls (less than a month strike date) at say 255. stock drops further you keep the cash you sold it for. if stock recovers and goes up to 255, you sell and get maybe 260 (including the cash you got for selling the call). i think most of us would sell the stock today at 260.

I had a dream last night that TSLA hit $270 on news of an all-clear NHTSA announcement. I checked pre-market and it was at $237. I went back to sleep and returned to the $270 nhtsa dream. It was so real I couldn't tell if TSLA was at $237 or $270. :)

I had a dream last night that TSLA hit $270 on news of an all-clear NHTSA announcement. I checked pre-market and it was at $237. I went back to sleep and returned to the $270 nhtsa dream. It was so real I couldn't tell if TSLA was at $237 or $270. :)

Another potential piece of good news would be inclusion in the S&P 500. That could solidify investor confidence (especially the funds) that Tesla Motors is one of the big guys and here to stay.

I'm holding VXX calls overnight as an experimental hedge, bought some deep OTM TSLA LEAPS back along with some April 280's to see if Dave's dream comes true :).

I would not like that yet. I only have my core stock and leaps and one weekly and one June right now. I'm hoping there is a week or two of sideways or slightly downward trend. I think we will go back down to 220 in the near term. Possibly lower if things get ugly in Ukraine.

I would not like that yet. I only have my core stock and leaps and one weekly and one June right now. I'm hoping there is a week or two of sideways or slightly downward trend. I think we will go back down to 220 in the near term. Possibly lower if things get ugly in Ukraine.

Why do you think 220 near-term? What events / catalysts, or do you mean just Ukraine?

I bought a few contracts worth of bear put spread 220/230 for 2.50 this morning, have lost value on it of course, so I just bought back the sold leg and put in a limit order to close out the other one in case we see another morning swing like this last one...

Last edited:
Does anyone have a subscription to real money pro to see what Kass writes about covering? I'm curious what he lost (I doubt he would post his total loss in $ value, but I'd love to see just to feel good) and I just don't feel like paying for a subscription.

yeah but i want to know what amount he covered. he just has a "small position" open now.

Probably back to his original "just a small short of 5% of my fund" that he started with :p I bet he doubled down to make it 10%, then doubled down again to make it 20%. Too bad he didn't go a couple of rounds more ;) I think Johan (or was it Norse?) said it best: "The more I think about Doug Kass's Tesla short, the better I feel about it".

Almost done with my taxes. I think I need to hire an accountant in the future. I have to pay... a lot of taxes. This hurts so much. Why can't every country become Estonia. Or just allow us to use LIFO accounting method would be better.

Sorry, just ranting. BTW, people on this forum should begin doing their taxes. Judging from the amount of options and people new to options, there's going to be a lot of headache.

Almost done with my taxes. I think I need to hire an accountant in the future. I have to pay... a lot of taxes. This hurts so much. Why can't every country become Estonia. Or just allow us to use LIFO accounting method would be better.

Sorry, just ranting. BTW, people on this forum should begin doing their taxes. Judging from the amount of options and people new to options, there's going to be a lot of headache.

Nah, I just need to declare my money inflow and the one withdrawal + monthly account fees. Total ca 20 transactions. What will pain me is figuring out how I declare all the Bitcoin profits...

Nah, I just need to declare my money inflow and the one withdrawal + monthly account fees. Total ca 20 transactions. What will pain me is figuring out how I declare all the Bitcoin profits...

Are you sure they are taxable? In Norway profits from Bitcoin trading is taxable just like stock/option profits (28%). However, whether proceeds from Bitcoin mining are taxable or not has not yet been determined:

Google Oversetter

I'd just like to echo this. I have been new to options in 2013. I thought I had looked over the relevant rules for options tax in advance and they seemed relatively straightforward, but I hadn't appreciated the full extent of IRS straddle regulations. Thanks to buying a number of protective puts and selling a few non-qualified covered calls, it now seems that the majority of my Tesla trades are really just part of one large straddle...sorting this out and working out how to apply the wash sale rules in conjunction with the straddle rules has been an unexpectedly big headache, to say the least!

I think it went up pretty fast and it will test the 20 day moving average. If things start to go bad in the Ukraine I think it could shake the global markets.

So much for that theory. Looking to open around 260. Since 40% of our portfolio is cash, I'm thinking about buying common with most of it and then selling some of the common to buy options as the premiums come down.