Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S v. ICE and which is less environmental

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think you have a location bias. There are plenty of Model S owners who live in places for which solar is not feasible. I would do it but my house's roof is shaded almost all the time by big trees. That's the norm in this city....
We have solar gardens out here. Anyone can buy panels at the solar garden, your electricity then goes into the grid and is credited against your useage at your home or apartment. Problem solved!

We have solar gardens out here. Anyone can buy panels at the solar garden, your electricity then goes into the grid and is credited against your useage at your home or apartment. Problem solved!

Not really. One of the advantages of having your own solar panels is the ability to be independent of the grid. You can still generate, and use, power when the grid is down.

I already live somewhere where the electricity is > 90% generated by renewable sources. The main reason I'd want to add solar (with some battery) would be to add a degree of "self-reliance".

Not really. One of the advantages of having your own solar panels is the ability to be independent of the grid. You can still generate, and use, power when the grid is down.
It may be a potential advantage, but in reality most home solar installs are grid tied, not stand alone. Most shut down when grid power is off. one has a single 110 outlet that has power during daylight hours, but that's about it, unless you add a much more expensive battery back up system system, etc.

It may be a potential advantage, but in reality most home solar installs are grid tied, not stand alone. Most shut down when grid power is off. one has a single 110 outlet that has power during daylight hours, but that's about it, unless you add a much more expensive battery back up system system, etc.

Agreed, most are grid-tied. I'm just saying what I would want. I already have inexpensive "green" electricity, the only advantage of investing in solar would be self-reliance/fault tolerance (through battery backup).

Some day, maybe, if I move somewhere that isn't shaded. Until then, the rain will continue to fall in B.C. :)