Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Prototype

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just back at the hotel after the Owner's Preview. Hans, Sarah, Eli and Mark were there from Tesla. Met quite a few owners including Jaff, David, David, and Wendy (apologies for any names I forgot). I counted ten Roadsters in attendance, including the Toronto demo car - definitely the largest collection ever in Canada (there are only 50 or so). They lined up some Roadsters (including mine) on the grass at the front of the building. The demo car was doing test drives.

The Model S prototype, of course, looks gorgeous. The front grille looks very similar to the latest Alpha pictures, with a grille at the top and plastic at the bottom... I wonder if they updated it?

I asked about the charge port. The victim of my queries admitted that he knew where the port was going, but they weren't allowed to say yet. I guess they want to make a big announcement at some point. He did confirm that it was a proprietary connector, but he promised that "I would really like it". He said that J1772 doesn't support enough current for the fast charge capability. He did say the plug adapters would actually be adapter modules rather than cables -- that sounds very promising.
A adapter module seem fine with me as long as all connectors fit fine.

Was there any word on 3-phase/IEC 62196-2-2 (Type 2/Mennekes) charging?

Wow only 2 color options for the signature Series? ( I don't count black and white, ugh and double ugh )
That might make me drop my signature reservation and go back to the general production.

Just because you don't count black and white hardly means they aren't choices. Personally, I prefer black for my car color.

More tidbits

We've yet to see the final version of the grille, so the controversy can continue...

The front grille is a strictly cosmetic structure, and in fact the "hated" dome on the early alphas is actually more aerodynamic.

The smaller grilles at left and right are actually what are used for cooling. If the front grille really was a grille it would vent into the "frunk" (front trunk), which is why the real vents are located at the bottom.

An observation:

The grille looks nowhere near as large in person, as it does in the photos. This may be partly due to the low camera angle, and maybe wide-angle lenses. But seeing the car in person it doesn't look as dominant, mainly because it's down at your knees.

Last edited:
It makes sense that limited colors are offered. There will only be 2000 (?) Sig's made and Tesla will probably want them to be the same as much as possible to make production a little bit easier. This also a reason why P's with 300mi pack will follow. This way they can produce maybe 4k 300mi battery packs before having to worry about the other packs. Let's not forget they are starting up a completely new production facility.

I wouldn't take anything I heard as gospel, so let's wait and see.

Agree - I think that 95k would be way to high for a car that has a base price of 57k.

Tesla has said that they can be profitable on the base model - it makes no sense to add 38k of options to make it "Signature" to what was supposed to be a well appointed car to start with. I know that battery pack is a 20k, but I had really hoped that that 20k was already a "package" upgrade not just the battery.

The uncertainty about price, color options, and options I may not like are why I have two reservations but will only keep one. The red is my second choice after British racing green. $95,000 is more than I feel ready to pay sight unseen. It is also more than my brother's Nissan GTR. The Betas better be incredibly good to justify this price. For 15k to 20k more than the general production it needs an awfully lot more than the previously announced special signage, exclusive colors, and being fully loaded.

Agree - I think that 95k would be way to high for a car that has a base price of 57k.
Yea, 95k is a no sale for me. I was going to upgrade to the Sig, but on hearing that, I'm back to waiting. The original reports were in the $80k neighborhood, so that's a pretty big rise in price. Even if that was $80k after rebate and $95k before (so $87.5k after), that's still a significant increase. I'm also afraid of what that means for a fairly loaded regular model S. At a $77.5 base price for the 300 battery, I was figuring no more than $87.5 for a fairly decked out version.

I'm getting a bit of sticker increase fatigue. First number is $57k and bigger batteries are more. I wasn't prepared for the amount of increase for the batteries, so going from 50->70k (after rebate) was a huge shock, a 40% jump for double the battery range. This latest Sig price rumor is yet another bump more than I expected.

Remember that prices listed previoulsy were after rebates. So if the Canada and US price is the same it is likely not after rebates. So add rebates back to the base price for the US version, and you're back to about $10K of extras which is not outrageous. Let's see what they are going to include for this before everyone gets into a huff!!

I know most of us waiting for the Model S don't have much else but to jump on every bit of information that's passed out, but as Lloyd said, let's not get into a huff. I've heard so much conflicting misinformation from sales folks that it's dizzying. Unfortunately, we just have to keep waiting for the facts...
cursing.gif

Remember that prices listed previoulsy were after rebates. So if the Canada and US price is the same it is likely not after rebates. So add rebates back to the base price for the US version, and you're back to about $10K of extras which is not outrageous. Let's see what they are going to include for this before everyone gets into a huff!!

Yes, let's put this in perspective. The $50K car is $57K minus the $7.5K Fed tax rebate. If we consider the Roadster battery was rumored to be about $35K of the Roadster's cost, then another $20K, or 66%, for 87% longer range is pretty darn good. My guess is battery technology is getting better and cheaper, these things are lining up just fine.

$57K + $20K is $77K, versus the $94K being bandied about for the Signature series. What might we get for that? Looking at existing Roadster options and what we know of the Model S, it's not unlikely that Model S options would include things like premium paint, the panorama sunroof, the rear facing seats, premium/executive leather interior, upgraded stereo/nav capabilities, solar glass, paint armor, and forged wheels.

On the Roadster, premium paint is $2K, forged wheels are over $3K, executive leather is almost $8K, infotainment is $4.5K, paint armor is $1.5K, solar glass is $0.5K. That's almost $20K of options right there. And that's not accounting for the sunroof or rear seats, or that the Model S has a lot more leather area to upgrade, more glass to solarize, and more bodywork to armor. Things like paint armor may be options even on the Model S Signature, and apparently all Model S's include the 17" screen (but maybe not all the nav functionality, for instance), so this isn't nearly an apples to apples comparison, but I think it does show that $17K more for a fully decked out Model S is not only not outrageous, but perhaps is too good to be true.

Couple things to mention:

1. A fully loaded BMW 550i is around $90k, I believe.
2. I've been told by sales that they expect the sigs to be around $80-85k....so who knows?

Roadster may not be a great comparison for pricing. Model S is mass-produced, Roadster is not. Roadster is a supercar, Model S is not (it's just a super car...). I can't imagine paying $4.5k for a sound system upgrade when the touch screen is already included in the base price. 3rd party alternatives would certainly be cheaper.

Tesla has to be careful not to price themselves out of the majority of the luxury market and back into the supercar price range.

Time will tell.

Sounds like a module might be something that is placed in the car behind the 'fuel flap' and has the socket on it so you can buy a module with a Tesla female, J1772, Mennekes, ChaDeMo, etc. and use DC, Single or three phase as available.

Fingers crossed.

"Module" was my word for it... they just said adapter. But they were clear that it is not a cable. As long as they don't cost a bomb this might be a very good way to do it.

Interestingly they still won't say where the charge port goes. I think they want to make a big splash with it. Should be interesting.