Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Oil change in drive unit tesla model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hear you with that and understand, although my opinion is it's a pretty poor reason to avoid good maintenance practices on the off chance somebody doesn't put it back together right. What percentage of the time do you think that happens? I'd say 5% is awfully high. I, too, am a mechanical engineer by training.

The people that can't do anything right end up on Just Rolled In for our entertainment:

Reactions: dn325ci
Beside this research we did on oil for drive unit ,we also did figured out what was best grease to use in electric parking brake pump.
You can check thread where we posted details about parking brakes replacement ,cleaning and upgrade. Here is thread started by other member here we just continue with replying and adding some pictures ...

Parking Brake Sensor Disconnect​

This is thread we posted .
By the way thank you all for reading and giving tumbs up.
Together we are stronger and we will enjoy out Tesla S for long time.

Next tread( very soon) we are preparing how to fix charging port ...... removing warming light from dasboard and replacing magnet on the charging door.

Cheers

Attachments

• 20230818_235936.jpg
    20230818_235936.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 85
  • 20230818_230955.jpg
    20230818_230955.jpg
    344.7 KB · Views: 55
  • 20230913_194006.jpg
    20230913_194006.jpg
    421.4 KB · Views: 42
  • 20230818_231001.jpg
    20230818_231001.jpg
    432 KB · Views: 40
  • 20230819_002557.jpg
    20230819_002557.jpg
    468.3 KB · Views: 49
  • 20230818_231009.jpg
    20230818_231009.jpg
    272.2 KB · Views: 48
Here is some torque specs one of members here were asking for.
We got it from Internet 28 Nm.

In our case we just went a bit over green line that was marked on bolt and housing.

We think its good idea to replace this oil frequently .

We did every 60 000 km on our Hybrids Lexus RX 450h and ES 300h.
Never got any issue with CVT transmission and we used ATF oil from lexus.Same procedure like on Tesla S ,just drain and fill.

Also its good idea to recharge your small 12volts battery in Tesla S.
We are using Schumacher charger slow 3amp feed and AGM or GELL battery selection on charger. With combination of Aperol spritzer lol..
Cheers

Attachments

• 20230812_171147.jpg
    20230812_171147.jpg
    420.2 KB · Views: 53
  • 20230812_171137.jpg
    20230812_171137.jpg
    378.6 KB · Views: 59
I hear you with that and understand, although my opinion is it's a pretty poor reason to avoid good maintenance practices on the off chance somebody doesn't put it back together right. What percentage of the time do you think that happens? I'd say 5% is awfully high. I, too, am a mechanical engineer by training.
I'm with you in that it's probably rare, at least if we are talking about mistakes leading to immediate catastrophic failure.

Not putting together correctly however: almost all the time from what I've seen. In the 20 or so used cars I've owned, I would say none of them were correctly put together after service. As an example; rarely seen an aero shield or a wheel liner correctly re installed. At best, they are just missing a clip, but often much worse. An authorized BMW shop that did work on my car routed a front wiring harness branch on the outside under the front bumper, completely exposed to the elements. Under carpet sound deadening and butyl water ingress liners are items that "mysteriously" disappear little by little every time work is done in the cabin or trunk areas. Small speakers are notorious for getting permanently disconnected any time work is done behind interior panels, resulting in a sound system that's not what it once was.
In fact, exactly this happened on my Model S when it got its trunk chinch actuator replaced by Tesla a couple of weeks ago. Not only did I lose the trunk speaker sound and beep at close but the whole trunk area now rattles like crazy because fastening clips were lost or broken.
While each of those faults may not be catastrophic on their own, they add up over time.

I'm not advocating for avoiding oil changes in cars that need it. Just saying that faults created during service is likely a factor in OEMs deleting service requirements.

Last edited:
I'm guessing this is what happened to my car? Somebody has definitely messed with the drain plug on my rear drive unit. Maybe the fluid was changed out at 12.5k miles per the service schedule. Makes me feel better but also uneasy.

Next time I'm near a service center, I'm gonna walk in there and ask for the service history, or at least I'm gonna try.
I had my 2017 S changed at 12k recommended interval…. They encouraged it back in the day.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
My assumption is that early first drive unit fluid change was to clear out the debris after the drive unit was broken-in. Some manufacturers say they break-in their motors/transmissions before they are mounted and installed, but most don't.
Yup. I was just letting @dwbv it was common maintenance item instead of being worrying about the mark not lining up for nefarious reasons.

I'm with you in that it's probably rare, at least if we are talking about mistakes leading to immediate catastrophic failure.

Not putting together correctly however: almost all the time from what I've seen. In the 20 or so used cars I've owned, I would say none of them were correctly put together after service. As an example; rarely seen an aero shield or a wheel liner correctly re installed. At best, they are just missing a clip, but often much worse. An authorized BMW shop that did work on my car routed a front wiring harness branch on the outside under the front bumper, completely exposed to the elements. Under carpet sound deadening and butyl water ingress liners are items that "mysteriously" disappear little by little every time work is done in the cabin or trunk areas. Small speakers are notorious for getting permanently disconnected any time work is done behind interior panels, resulting in a sound system that's not what it once was.
In fact, exactly this happened on my Model S when it got its trunk chinch actuator replaced by Tesla a couple of weeks ago. Not only did I lose the trunk speaker sound and beep at close but the whole trunk area now rattles like crazy because fastening clips were lost or broken.
While each of those faults may not be catastrophic on their own, they add up over time.

I'm not advocating for avoiding oil changes in cars that need it. Just saying that faults created during service is likely a factor in OEMs deleting service requirements.
Wow, you're an unlucky guy! For me I'm going to err on the side of good maintenance. In my view, it hurts nothing and probably helps to change the oil in those drive units, and it's a very easy job to do.

Here is one interesting thing about oil change in tesla model S .
Dealer will not do it unless is problem with drive unit.
However we did change oil in drive unit regardless.
Dealership will not sell you oil also ,so we had to come up with alternatives.
It depends on the service center. I just had the oils changed in both drive units without any problem. I have a 150k on my S now and felt that it should be done and I will say I can tell a difference. It feels smoother and slightly more agile.
Here is one interesting thing about oil change in tesla model S .
Dealer will not do it unless is problem with drive unit.
However we did change oil in drive unit regardless.
Dealership will not sell you oil also ,so we had to come up with alternatives.

I want to change the gear oil on both the front and rear drive units on S. Ive been doing some searching around, seems alot of people say Dexron VI is compatible. I was trying to find something better in either Amsoil or Redline product line. I came across a fluid from Pentosin called ATF 64. Anyone had any experience with it? The company even released a statement touting it as compatible for Tesla. https://crpautomotive.com/wp-conten...tive-Pentosin-Tesla-EV-Fluids-Award-PR_V2.pdf