Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model s - Front drive unit issue + Communication issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, i recently got a load of error codes following some mentioning the front drive unit and so forth. However, these codes just seem like a communication issue. Anyone else having/had these
Problems?
Car struggles to go into any gear and glitches while doing so.
Flickers between D and N, then when in reverse, camera flicks aswell.
Might add that the right Ground point. (Right While sitting in the car) When taken off sparks at times.

Attachments

• 51E32F3B-9BE8-4E94-989B-17A3BFD34B27.jpeg
    51E32F3B-9BE8-4E94-989B-17A3BFD34B27.jpeg
    543.6 KB · Views: 8
  • B757147D-0C4B-48A9-85C1-1E247E36A891.jpeg
    B757147D-0C4B-48A9-85C1-1E247E36A891.jpeg
    375.7 KB · Views: 5
  • AFAA5BEF-798D-49E4-BA73-BF411430A867.jpeg
    AFAA5BEF-798D-49E4-BA73-BF411430A867.jpeg
    454.1 KB · Views: 7
MIA errors could be either CAN bus issue or 12v, either would cause the unit to not report any data on CAN bus
Ground sparking is normal thing, same thing happens when i plug in negative battery cable, its just the load on 12v system
Checking all grounds is the good starting point
Then look into CAN bus, could be some unit taking down the CAN bus...

Upvote 0
MIA errors could be either CAN bus issue or 12v, either would cause the unit to not report any data on CAN bus
Ground sparking is normal thing, same thing happens when i plug in negative battery cable, its just the load on 12v system
Checking all grounds is the good starting point
Then look into CAN bus, could be some unit taking down the CAN bus...
Thank you for the answer, i have some general knowledge about the whole car. But this is the first time dealing with CAN bus, where exactly/how am i meant to look into tje can bus? I have a OBD dongle for tesla etc on delivery atm if that is what your refering too?

Upvote 0
CAN bus is a twisted pair of wires going to every unit, there're 3 separate ones in Tesla
look at schematics
its tuff to troubleshoot for sure if its true CAN bus issue
SMT will help a bit to see what data is there or not but for good troubleshooting u need some tool like oscilloscope to see signals, if they're messed up or not
but u should start with ground, that is more likely (also in tesla schematics)

Upvote 0
DI = drive inverter, in the rear motor, which is reporting no communication with anything, and then it looks like some other systems which rely on information from the inverter are also angry.

Unfortunately this is probably not the sort of thing you'll be able to troubleshoot on your own, short of finding obviously damaged wiring going to the rear motor or something. I would take it into Tesla, but be prepared, this is probably a new drive unit.

Upvote 0
DI = drive inverter, in the rear motor, which is reporting no communication with anything, and then it looks like some other systems which rely on information from the inverter are also angry.

Unfortunately this is probably not the sort of thing you'll be able to troubleshoot on your own, short of finding obviously damaged wiring going to the rear motor or something. I would take it into Tesla, but be prepared, this is probably a new drive unit.
Right, but is it certain its the rear one? As it mostly comes with errors that the front DU Is not deactivated etc

Upvote 0
CAN bus is a twisted pair of wires going to every unit, there're 3 separate ones in Tesla
look at schematics
its tuff to troubleshoot for sure if its true CAN bus issue
SMT will help a bit to see what data is there or not but for good troubleshooting u need some tool like oscilloscope to see signals, if they're messed up or not
but u should start with ground, that is more likely (also in tesla schematics)
Right, i do own oscilloscopes and other electric equipment. (Still a student). I assume it would need me to disconnect each HV cable hoing to the DU (orange connectors) and measure the signal between the connector pins? Or how would you set it up perhaps?

Upvote 0
Right, i do own oscilloscopes and other electric equipment. (Still a student). I assume it would need me to disconnect each HV cable hoing to the DU (orange connectors) and measure the signal between the connector pins? Or how would you set it up perhaps?
no, u don't need to touch HV, DU has low voltage plug with bunch of small wires, 2 of them should be CAN bus
but u can tap into can bus anywhere n watch what it looks like

look at 4:10 in this video, they show what bad CAN looks like that was taken down by backup cam

Upvote 0
It has been a weird journey, i heard clicking from the charging port. Decided to unplug it, along with some parking brakes etc and love and behold, it started running. Normally. came back home, plugged in charging port, and now back to step 1. And i cant seem to recreate it again. I might add it shows that the bms system cant communicated or message the driver inverter. Also, when the car is powered off. No issue seems to happen. its when i press the brake pedal when the car storms itself with error codes and haywire.

Upvote 0
Also, if it helps, prior to this for a long while ive had the hvil out of bounds error code appear here and there. And when i got the car running like mentioned above that error was present. So im trying to connect the dots a bit.
May add when i got the car running it had both the DI and DIS error for hvil out of bounds

Upvote 0
no, u don't need to touch HV, DU has low voltage plug with bunch of small wires, 2 of them should be CAN bus
but u can tap into can bus anywhere n watch what it looks like

look at 4:10 in this video, they show what bad CAN looks like that was taken down by backup cam
I wrote some other replies a bit below. But this is a follow up to the replies. I attchee a picture of the error codes when the charging port was disconnected.
(Showing all other error codes dissapeared but these remain. Any ideas)

Attachments

• D35E357A-5BDA-450A-9FD8-8885ADB70831.jpeg
    D35E357A-5BDA-450A-9FD8-8885ADB70831.jpeg
    511.8 KB · Views: 8
Upvote 0