Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2017 75kw MS (late 2017 with refresh) suddenly experiernced a failure of the power steering assist while driving, and had to be towed home. So far, the closest Tesla Dealer has not been helpful, indicating they cannot do anything remotely to diagnose the issue, which I find doubtful, and won't address the issue until the car is brought in for service. I'm over 150km from the closest Tesla dealer and so need to do some trouble-shooting locally in case things can either be fixed here or fixed enough for a road trip down to Tesla.

I figure the problem has got to be either software, electrical, or mechanical in nature. To that end, I've worked on the electrical side of things and checked for bad grounds (none), and bad wire connections (none) on the assist motor unit and torque sensor unit, and inspection has indicated no problems with the insulation integrity of any of the visible wiring. Mechanically, the steering links and steering gear seem to work smoothly when the weight is off the car (manual with no assist), with the steering operating smoothly from far-right to far-left, suggesting that there is no mechanical jams or excess stiffness in the mechanical linkages. This all leads me to point to a software (or firmware), or assist motor control-board, or torgue sensor issue, or a failed assist motor as the culprit, at which point there should be fault indicators in a technical log somewhere. If I had some understanding of Tesla's remote analysis capability (ie over the car's web-connection), procedures etc, I think this would enable me to be more specific about what Tesla can do to help trouble-shoot this issue remotely. There is also the question of whether Tesla's mobile service would be able to provide diagnostic capability physically connecting to the car's OBD connector.

If anyone can provide information on the sort of remote diagnostics Tesla can do that might help shed light on the problem, that would help me a lot. Any thoughts will be welcome.

Last edited:
open service mode n post what errors u got, pretty sure thats what tesla access remotely, possibly some more detailed logs...
why it had to be towed? car should still be drivable without assist just harder to turn steering...
Thanks for the reply Brainhouston. I'll ask Tesla to open Service Mode and produce a list of error codes (do I presume correctly this is something I can't do myself from the car's touch-screen?), and let you know what I get, if they'll do it. Turning without assist is harder, and more importantly, slower. Didn't want my wife attempting to drive 80km over twisty rural 2-lane roads with sharp bends, so had it towed to avoid divorce.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: brainhouston
Upvote 0
I'll ask Tesla to open Service Mode and produce a list of error codes (do I presume correctly this is something I can't do myself from the car's touch-screen?),
Not sure if tesla will do but its accessible for everyone (it used to be geofence locked)

Didn't want my wife attempting to drive 80km over twisty rural 2-lane roads with sharp bends, so had it towed to avoid divorce.
totally makes sense 😅

Upvote 0
Not sure if tesla will do but its accessible for everyone (it used to be geofence locked)

totally makes sense 😅
Thanks for your reply. I didn't realize Service-Mode was generally accessible now. I found a U-Tube on how to enter Service Mode, so will check that out and learn about the various menu options in there. Cheers, J

Last edited:
Reactions: brainhouston
Upvote 0
Thanks for your reply. I didn't realize Service-Mode was generally accessible now. I found a U-Tube on how to enter Service Mode, so will check that out and learn about the various menu options in there. Cheers, J

totally makes sense 😅
Was able to access the car today and found that the general instructions for getting into Service-Mode don't seem to work on my 2017 model. The instructions were to go into the Service menu and press/hold on the word "Model" as in Model S, and Service-Mode would open. Well, on my screen, there is no "Model" word anywhere. However, there was a button for listing the Alerts present. However, there were no alerts shown. Tesla has meanwhile indicated that the problem is a seized intermediate steering shaft which is causing stiff steering, and that the power assist is actually working oka, hence no Alerts. You'd think that a seized shaft would be obvious, with uneven turning feel, which is not really the case. I'm not convinced this is actually the correct diagnosis..........

Upvote 0
Was able to access the car today and found that the general instructions for getting into Service-Mode don't seem to work on my 2017 model. The instructions were to go into the Service menu and press/hold on the word "Model" as in Model S, and Service-Mode would open. Well, on my screen, there is no "Model" word anywhere. However, there was a button for listing the Alerts present. However, there were no alerts shown. Tesla has meanwhile indicated that the problem is a seized intermediate steering shaft which is causing stiff steering, and that the power assist is actually working oka, hence no Alerts. You'd think that a seized shaft would be obvious, with uneven turning feel, which is not really the case. I'm not convinced this is actually the correct diagnosis..........
huh...?..
u press n hold here, n it should flash n pop up a password promt, then u type 'service'
1712968499700.png

yeah doesn't make sense, since u were able to freely rotate it with car off the ground...

Upvote 0