Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maintenance required - Model S parking brake calipers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For early Model S with the separate parking brake rear calipers, I have a service tip.

I recently took my Model S to the local SC to get the brake pads changed following the annual mandatory inspection we have in the UK. I had to get the parking brake pads changed. Unfortunately, the service techs were unable to remove the pad retaining pins due to then being rusted in place. I queried how this could be the case since I had had Tesla strip and clean the brakes regularly, including last year. The tech informed me that in that service, only the main calipers are stripped and cleaned, hence the problem.

I was disappointed as they had to fit new calipers. The SC was not equipped or prepared to split the caliper and drill out the old pins - see eg this video

You can see in the video that the caliper pin kits are Tesla part 1013298-00-A or direct from Brembo 98.8248.60 and cost less than $30.

So, if you live somewhere with road salt I would recommend periodically servicing these calipers. The parts are common to Aston Martins, Lamborghinis and Audi R8s, but I suspect Teslas get more winter use! My car is 8 years old and has done 110,000 miles.

Good points but this service need is not that new with Tesla, at least not here in the TMC. Just finished my brake service this weekend on my drive-in, using single hydraulic jack and dealing one wheel at the time. Mine is 2016 with separate parking brake calipers and 79k miles. Not that demanding is you know how to use wrench and similar tools, took me an hour on each, rears were a bit longer as there are two calipers. Yes it is strongly advised to clean and lubricate them as otherwise you face quite large service bill. I had serviced mine more than year ago (see photos) and the pins were not that ceased as you might have had. You can see my selected tools as there are plenty of vidoes on youtube how quickly service the brakes.

39AF5DB9-E833-4877-ACBB-5805F7EDAEDA.jpeg

After hammering I used these welder’s tool, easy and useful in this case…

6179EDB1-C302-48D0-854F-1F85B720B393.jpeg

F7152BCF-4AF2-456A-AA55-042D56EB7637.jpeg

76D80EE1-D126-4F73-874A-7F2FB14FA6BC.jpeg

Here is marked by red pen section where I would use silicon to protect this aluminium part to not catch famous fillform corrosion as that is one possible way that motor will get water ingress.

With the main brakes was nothing significant, just remove old pads and install new. I decided to change front rotors as in my last MOT check was pointed out that brakes might be warped. Nothing was visible from outer side but as soon I took them off the inner side was clearly distorted and rusted b/c that side ceased pad. I used this tiny carpenter’s tool as it has sharp edges for cleaning up and is strong enough to push the pistons back in.

A89FD0D9-AC03-490A-9708-6F6D2D14EEAE.jpeg
60034B46-B948-47E0-9A06-7C8C2192AD62.jpeg

32D68557-2921-45AD-91CC-4666D099BE45.jpeg

These are the new pads now, named ElectricBlue…

Reactions: philip295