Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got notified Sunday (yesterday) that there is new software available, and started it since it's WiFi tethered in my garage. Is it me, or does it seem like something is a little different with acceleration on the car? Seems like it's a little different.

Yes I have also noticed that, it seem that the Traction Control is a bit more smooth, as with 5.6 it would stop acceleration for 1-2 sec as it regained controle, but now it feels like TC set in earlier preventing it from losing grip, and thereby providing better acceleration out of corners

For those talking about regen changes please be clear whether your experience is 5.6 -> 5.8 or 4.5 -> 5.8. I ask because I have 5.6 and want to know if I am going to experience a change. Regen I don't mind so much but please don't mess with acceleration!

I noticed the regen change immediately (literally) after going from 4.5 to 5.6 early last week. It is unchanged from 5.6 to 5.8. I haven't tested the change in acceleration claim--been pampering my winter tires!

I think the same concept has now been applied to acceleration too - the early acceleration is definitely "softer" although max seems the same. It's as though you have to push the pedal further to get the same level of acceleration, just like you have to lift off the accelerator more to get the same level of regen as before. Better modulated for your passengers perhaps but I kinda miss the jerkiness of the pre-5.8 regen/accel combo.

If that's the case then isn't this another "feature revert"? (well ok the air suspension was a mistake). But didn't 2 releases ago they tout "making the model S faster through software" by increasing the initial power from the pedal and making it more feel more touchy??

If that's the case then isn't this another "feature revert"? (well ok the air suspension was a mistake). But didn't 2 releases ago they tout "making the model S faster through software" by increasing the initial power from the pedal and making it more feel more touchy??

Yeah I remember that (it was before I got my car)... One of the early 4.X releases.

I didn't notice the regen ramp changing from 4.5 - > 5.8 but I've only driven the car 20km since upgrading. If anything I wish it was more twitchy/responsive like in the roadster. :) I don't remember seeing anything in the release notes... Another omission?

That sounds like a good theory...

Except that the 5 miles I lost in 22 hours were while the car was plugged in. I use scheduled charging, and the car charged Sat night. On 4.5, and likely in 5.x, top-offs only happen every other night -- so it did not charge Sunday night. So if your theory is correct, why didn't it pull from shore power to run the DC-DC converter and top off the 12V?

Also, the 12V doesn't hold all that much (I don't know the Ah rating offhand...) -- while a trickle charge makes sense, that alone should barely register against the main pack. The rest would be from the car not sleeping -- which was ~7-8 miles of range per day. 0-3 hours would equate to perhaps a loss of 1 mile of range, not 5...

Edit: My car lost 5 miles of range while parked for ~9 hours at work. That's a much faster rate than I've previously seen -- it was usually 3 under 4.5. Screens appeared to wake from sleep. I rebooted both screens and will see if that helps. If not, I'll be calling Service...

It doesn't pull shore power when it wakes up to charge the 12v battery. A minimum draw is necessary before shore power is requested, and running the computer systems, lights, etc. is not enough.

That said, it's not clear why there's such variance in range loss. Two things are complicating matters for everyone here: 1) different calculations used for rated range and 2) colder temperatures are kicking in

My concern about regen is that with immediate strong regen, emergency hard breaking is very quick. Does this change make it a little slower. Could this affect actual breaking distance?

It seems to affect mine ever so slightly. But just slightly. I have a nice exit ramp coming home that I like to use to demo the braking effect. If I let off while going 70 right at the exit sign, I will regen to a near stop by the stop sign at the bottom. Tonight I had to brake a little.

My concern about regen is that with immediate strong regen, emergency hard breaking is very quick. Does this change make it a little slower. Could this affect actual breaking distance?

I was wondering exactly the same thing--that fraction of a second of it sharply decelerating could actually mean something when inches count. And of course if you don't want the sharp deceleration of the (old) regen, you just don't lift your foot as quickly!

As noted by others above this could go both ways. Yes, aggressive regen might actually reduce breaking distance. But aggressive regen on ice can actually cause accidents too. Pick your poison.

Yes I have also noticed that, it seem that the Traction Control is a bit more smooth, as with 5.6 it would stop acceleration for 1-2 sec as it regained controle, but now it feels like TC set in earlier preventing it from losing grip, and thereby providing better acceleration out of corners

I've been complaining about since I got the car. That would be great if they fixed the TC "lag" under cornering acceleration. I haven't driven "spiritedly" since I got the update, but I'm going to try it out tomorrow. That would be great if they tuned that lag out!

I noticed this too. I have a fairly long and moderately steep driveway. When it's wet and I make a fast turn onto it, TC kicks in. With, 4.5 TC would be very obvious. Not sure it was 1 second but it was pretty long. With 5.8, I get just the slightest shudder, barely noticeable.

Today was my first day driving my normal daily commute post 5.8 (coming from 4.5 before). My commute is abut 85% highway where I'm ranging between 60 and 80 mph.

So, it's just a data point, that could be influenced by lots of factors. But, today, on my normal daily drive, in conditions essentially the same as many other previous days, driving in a similar manner to my typical style, I set an all time low for Wh/mi for my commute. In fact, it's a sizable difference. My typical commute of late had me using about 300 Wh/mi. Today, I was at 288 Wh/mi.

So, I confirmed that the air suspension stayed at normal, even at highway speeds. I also believe strongly that they changed the regen profile. If I quickly take my foot aft the accelerator, there is noticeably less reverse lurch as before. (Again, this is my strong belief, I can't back it up with tangible proof). But I have to think that might be why I got the improved energy consumption. I try to feather best I can, but probably don't do a great job. So, having "smoother" regen might actually be better for my overall usage.

This is my theory at this point. But I was shocked that my usage dropped (and by a fair amount) given the locked suspension height setting.

I'll see if this isn't just a one-time occurrence tomorrow.

Today was my first day driving my normal daily commute post 5.8 (coming from 4.5 before). My commute is abut 85% highway where I'm ranging between 60 and 80 mph.

So, it's just a data point, that could be influenced by lots of factors. But, today, on my normal daily drive, in conditions essentially the same as many other previous days, driving in a similar manner to my typical style, I set an all time low for Wh/mi for my commute. In fact, it's a sizable difference. My typical commute of late had me using about 300 Wh/mi. Today, I was at 288 Wh/mi.

So, I confirmed that the air suspension stayed at normal, even at highway speeds. I also believe strongly that they changed the regen profile. If I quickly take my foot aft the accelerator, there is noticeably less reverse lurch as before. (Again, this is my strong belief, I can't back it up with tangible proof). But I have to think that might be why I got the improved energy consumption. I try to feather best I can, but probably don't do a great job. So, having "smoother" regen might actually be better for my overall usage.

This is my theory at this point. But I was shocked that my usage dropped (and by a fair amount) given the locked suspension height setting.

I'll see if this isn't just a one-time occurrence tomorrow.

I made similar observations regarding energy usage. Definitely lower than before on my usual commute. Don't know if that equates to more range though. Would be nice but how?