Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My sense of the tweaked regen is that the onset is graduated differently. Rather than a sudden grab, it now eases into full regen. Aside from the snow and ice concern (which isn't an issue for some), the change might make cancelling cruise control less jarring. I was just getting use to putting weight on the goose pedal every time I reached to release the cruise control. That move still feels counter intuitive.... step on the accelerator slightly in order to begin slowing down).

I agree with this and like the change in 5.8. This feels much more natural to me...

All those guys complaining about regen being set differently, can you check before griping? It is an easy thing to do. Drive fast, let up quickly on the accelerator while you look at the power meter - does it go right to 60 kW regen or does it ramp to it? I'd recommend doing this test in an isolated area :)

FWIW, I didn't notice regen change, but I haven't done my experiment above either yet.

I just got notified Sunday (yesterday) that there is new software available, and started it since it's WiFi tethered in my garage. Is it me, or does it seem like something is a little different with acceleration on the car? Seems like it's a little different.

Mine changed to rebel. The turbo lasers were worthless against those small fighters.

Yeah, that's a good one! :D

Seems like sleep still results in some variation -- here's mine: I didn't drive anywhere yesterday and the car lost 5 miles in ~22 hours after yesterday morning's upgrade to 5.8. Will see what happens while parked at work today.

Obviously there isn't enough experience yet to draw final conclusions, but it appears that it all depends on where you are in the 12V recharge cycle when reaching your destination. At least on my car, the 12V recharge cycle takes anywhere from 2 to 3 hours to complete. It further appears that the 12V battery is not always charged when the car is being driven, so when reaching a destination, 12V charging could be done, or it could take anywhere from 0 to 3 hours before it is done.

Looking at yesterday's and today's data, it appears that sleep mode only engages at least one hour after 12V charging is complete.

So, you will lose range while the 12V is charging. Then, once the car goes to sleep, you will not lose much if any range until it needs to charge the 12V again, which will now be much later / less often than before sleep mode was available.

Obviously there isn't enough experience yet to draw final conclusions, but it appears that it all depends on where you are in the 12V recharge cycle when reaching your destination. At least on my car, the 12V recharge cycle takes anywhere from 2 to 3 hours to complete. It further appears that the 12V battery is not always charged when the car is being driven, so when reaching a destination, 12V charging could be done, or it could take anywhere from 0 to 3 hours before it is done.

Looking at yesterday's and today's data, it appears that sleep mode only engages at least one hour after 12V charging is complete.

So, you will lose range while the 12V is charging. Then, once the car goes to sleep, you will not lose much if any range until it needs to charge the 12V again, which will now be much later / less often than before sleep mode was available.

That sounds like a good theory...

Except that the 5 miles I lost in 22 hours were while the car was plugged in. I use scheduled charging, and the car charged Sat night. On 4.5, and likely in 5.x, top-offs only happen every other night -- so it did not charge Sunday night. So if your theory is correct, why didn't it pull from shore power to run the DC-DC converter and top off the 12V?

Also, the 12V doesn't hold all that much (I don't know the Ah rating offhand...) -- while a trickle charge makes sense, that alone should barely register against the main pack. The rest would be from the car not sleeping -- which was ~7-8 miles of range per day. 0-3 hours would equate to perhaps a loss of 1 mile of range, not 5...

Edit: My car lost 5 miles of range while parked for ~9 hours at work. That's a much faster rate than I've previously seen -- it was usually 3 under 4.5. Screens appeared to wake from sleep. I rebooted both screens and will see if that helps. If not, I'll be calling Service...

Last edited:
Is it just me, or is regen less aggressive in 5.x (I came from 4.5)? My regen is set to standard, but I don't feel the car pulling quite as much when I let my foot off the accelerator. I could just be over analyzing it.

Asked the same question over in the 5.6 thread a couple of days ago (before I knew there was a 5.8 thread!). It's clearly less aggressive at first--question is whether it is just a different profile and it eventually makes it up. I'm not sure it does. Personally I like the old way better.

My car is new and came with 5.6. Got the update last night to 5.8. It listed a whole bunch of "new" features that I already had in 5.6. The only thing that looks "new" to me is the TPMS and the Wiper thing. Is there anything else that's different? I was hoping it might solve my GPS issue (my car's position is not reflected correctly when in Nav mode).

Personally I also prefer the "old" regen profile, I found it more useful in city stop & go traffic.

Now, with the gradual onset, I have to use my brakes more, as others have noted.

(Partial cross-post): Another thing I noted today (correct me if this already occurred in 4.5), is that when the car is locked and charging, pressing on the charge handle button interrupts the charge. I seem to remember the button doing nothing on a locked car in 4.5.

In my limited experimentation, if the car is charging but delayed charging is set to on, the charging will not resume when the handle button is released (will defer to the delay programmed hour). This may be a problem if someone plugs in to charge at a public station without turning their usual delayed charging off, and having someone fiddle with their charging cable when they are away.

Updated to 5.8 Saturday. This AM, handles extended, front passenger door would not open. Had to open and then close drivers door. Then passenger door responded. Returned home, placed tranny in Park, driver rear door popped open. Never had these problems before.

I had doors opening by themselves. The SC upgraded my early door handles to new ones. But I'm vin 2201. Maybe yours is newer.

Personally I also prefer the "old" regen profile, I found it more useful in city stop & go traffic.

Now, with the gradual onset, I have to use my brakes more, as others have noted.

(Partial cross-post): Another thing I noted today (correct me if this already occurred in 4.5), is that when the car is locked and charging, pressing on the charge handle button interrupts the charge. I seem to remember the button doing nothing on a locked car in 4.5.

In my limited experimentation, if the car is charging but delayed charging is set to on, the charging will not resume when the handle button is released (will defer to the delay programmed hour). This may be a problem if someone plugs in to charge at a public station without turning their usual delayed charging off, and having someone fiddle with their charging cable when they are away.

But the delayed charging is location sensitive so unless you set delayed charging at a public station it won't matter.

The regen is very minor now, maybe they did this so we will have to buy more brake pads.

Only initially. After a second or two it gradually kicks into the full regen (unless it's cold outside and it still warming things up).

They don't make money by having us replace brake pads. Besides, nobody says we have to go to them for brake pads anyway. (fyi brake pads are included in service plan anyway so they are free).

Also I think the regen changes are helping me lower Wh/mile and increase range because it's not so heavy a pull back initially. Lots of times I don't need the full regen and I end up doing more stop and go so these changes seem to increase efficiency (lower wh/mi) effectively extended range and the life of the battery since i am using it less.

OK, I'm noticing a bunch of changes with 5.8. Regen is clearly "softer" at first - it does ramp up to max regen as before but more slowly. I'm having to change my driving style as I'm using a lot more brake now.

I think the same concept has now been applied to acceleration too - the early acceleration is definitely "softer" although max seems the same. It's as though you have to push the pedal further to get the same level of acceleration, just like you have to lift off the accelerator more to get the same level of regen as before. Better modulated for your passengers perhaps but I kinda miss the jerkiness of the pre-5.8 regen/accel combo.

Finally, I think the "Sport" steering mode has been softened up as well, now closer to the standard mode, particularly at slow speeds. Easier to one-finger steer at low speeds, but I miss the "connectedness" of the firmer pre-5.8 sport steering.

Weird how your car can "change" overnight.

Edit: I upgraded from 5.0 -> 5.8

Last edited: