Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ugh i am not happy with this update from 5.6 to 5.8!

My acceleration feels gimped. I have to mash the pedal now to speed up. I never had to do this before. Now I'm a lot less responsive weaving in and out of cars.

The regen isn't as fast so I need to break earlier which i don't like.

The sport steering isn't sport anymore and is way softer.

I have p85 so why did they take my p away and smooth it all out? Not happy!

Contagious, check all your driver settings/controls. In the update from v4.5 to v5.6 my steering changed from sport to standard, creep from off to on, SOC from ideal to rated, and regen from standard to low. It was like someone changed all my personalized stuff to the opposite of what I'd had. I simply changed them all to my favored settings and it's been fine since.

IMHO, if Tesla wants to change settings that affect the performance and handling of the car (ie. regen, air suspension, TC, etc.) then they need to have an option to roll back these changes.

I love the way the car handled when I first bought it and indeed, this is a big reason it won Motor Trend COTY. I want to still be able to drive my original car, without worrying that a software update is going to detract from that experience.

Today was my first day driving my normal daily commute post 5.8 (coming from 4.5 before). My commute is abut 85% highway where I'm ranging between 60 and 80 mph.

Same here...

So, it's just a data point, that could be influenced by lots of factors. But, today, on my normal daily drive, in conditions essentially the same as many other previous days, driving in a similar manner to my typical style, I set an all time low for Wh/mi for my commute. In fact, it's a sizable difference. My typical commute of late had me using about 300 Wh/mi. Today, I was at 288 Wh/mi.

same here again!

So, I confirmed that the air suspension stayed at normal, even at highway speeds. I also believe strongly that they changed the regen profile.

This is where we differ. Aside from the initial regen limit due to the cold, I didn't really discern any difference. I'll pay closer attention tomorrow.

So if your theory is correct, why didn't it pull from shore power to run the DC-DC converter and top off the 12V?

As cinergy already noted, it never uses shore power to recharge the 12V.

Also, the 12V doesn't hold all that much (I don't know the Ah rating offhand...) -- while a trickle charge makes sense, that alone should barely register against the main pack. The rest would be from the car not sleeping -- which was ~7-8 miles of range per day.

The 7-8 miles of range loss all comes from charging the 12V, which in turn powers the electronics.

My car lost 5 miles of range while parked for ~9 hours at work. That's a much faster rate than I've previously seen -- it was usually 3 under 4.5. Screens appeared to wake from sleep. I rebooted both screens and will see if that helps. If not, I'll be calling Service...

At work today I "lost" 8.5 miles. 1.0 miles was from charging the 12V, and the remaining 7.5 was due to the change in pack temperature between charging in my warm (4 ˚C) garage this morning and sitting out in the cold (-3 ˚C) all day. The 12V lasted 8 hours and 40 minutes before needing a charge, compared to the previous (v4.5) average of 2 hours and 37 minutes.

- - - Updated - - -

Aside from the initial regen limit due to the cold, I didn't really discern any difference. I'll pay closer attention tomorrow.

Right. I don't know what all this talk about regen is about. I haven't had ANY regen since the beginning of November, when temperatures got into the single digits. :D

Last edited:
Contagious, check all your driver settings/controls. In the update from v4.5 to v5.6 my steering changed from sport to standard, creep from off to on, SOC from ideal to rated, and regen from standard to low. It was like someone changed all my personalized stuff to the opposite of what I'd had. I simply changed them all to my favored settings and it's been fine since.

My settings are the same. Do you have 5.8? It is very different.

Just updated from 5.6 to 5.8. Like everyone says, the regen is smoother. I can cruise to the stop light now instead of slowing down a lot and having to accelerate a little to the light like before. Also notice there is no thud sound when I let go the accelerator. Will test out the range usage tomorrow.

Well, I had the issue when going from 4.5 to 5.6, where my vampire losses went from 10 miles/day to 16-20 miles in a 6-12 hr period.

Well, got the 5.8 update and installed Monday Morning, it is now 10:55pm monday night. My car stopped charging at 90% 1 hour ago (give or take 15 minutes). It stopped at 90% charge at 173.2 miles. I am now DOWN to 168 miles. That is, I repeat, after 1 hr of sitting. 5 miles in 1 hr.

I really wish the service center had never updated me from 4.5 :cursing: I asked for a downgrade, as this is killing my range! On top of the cold weather (Weather made no difference in my vampire losses, though, my final immediate charge level is at least 10 miles lower with the colder weather).

I drive anywhere from 150-180 miles/day, and have done so since I got my car. I can no longer do that. Even when coming immediately off a charge. I now charge my car to 90%, and then 1 hr before leaving in the morning, I hit range mode. So now I am range charging DAILY! Where as all Summer, and even into the COLD weather with 4.5 I did not. Extremely disappointed, and I'm not a complainer.

Just updated from 5.6 to 5.8. Like everyone says, the regen is smoother. I can cruise to the stop light now instead of slowing down a lot and having to accelerate a little to the light like before. Also notice there is no thud sound when I let go the accelerator. Will test out the range usage tomorrow.

I'm really going to have to start paying more attention! I didn't notice any change at all, and I've never had any kind of "thud" sound. That, I'd notice!

My theory is that they are freaking out because winter is coming and there are 15,000 more Tesla's on the road then last year, and they want to err on the safe side when the temps start dropping.

Nah, that's not it. This is a "comfort" thing. The change in regen is trivially small. It eases in the regen in less than a second - faster than I could lift my foot. It only makes a difference for me if I turn off cruise control with my foot already completely off the accelerator.

Well, I had the issue when going from 4.5 to 5.6, where my vampire losses went from 10 miles/day to 16-20 miles in a 6-12 hr period.

Well, got the 5.8 update and installed Monday Morning, it is now 10:55pm monday night. My car stopped charging at 90% 1 hour ago (give or take 15 minutes). It stopped at 90% charge at 173.2 miles. I am now DOWN to 168 miles. That is, I repeat, after 1 hr of sitting. 5 miles in 1 hr.

I really wish the service center had never updated me from 4.5 :cursing: I asked for a downgrade, as this is killing my range! On top of the cold weather (Weather made no difference in my vampire losses, though, my final immediate charge level is at least 10 miles lower with the colder weather).

I doubt rolling back to 4.5 would restore you vampire losses to 10 miles a day. Something is wrong with the car if you are losing 5 miles in one hour ( unless it's extremely cold, in which case the range should return when the pack warms)

I grew up with miles and gallons and never really agreed with the gov't ramming in the metric system against the majority's will (at the time). This occurred just a few years after the gov't changed Canada's flag, pissing off many WWII veterans who'd fought under the original Canadian flag. I'm not fond of "government knows best", and figure while we still have some freedoms left, I can keep my car's displays in the units I prefer.

I always found people's opposition to the metric system a little strange. To me, metric is rather analogous to EVs. Sure, it was different from what people were used to (ICE), yet it was more logical, efficient, and elegant in its simplicity. Both also encounter more than their share of undue criticism and opposition. Just saying...

Last edited:
It stopped at 90% charge at 173.2 miles. I am now DOWN to 168 miles. That is, I repeat, after 1 hr of sitting. 5 miles in 1 hr. .

That's not necessarily related to the software. It's winter now. Your battery gets cold while it's not charging, and will display a lower range during that time. Once it warms up it should be back to the higher range again.

You shouldn't need to do a range charge in the morning, turning on the heat while connected to shore power should be sufficient.

I guess one can't argue the proactive approach on this topic.

The blog is excellent..but long overdue, and IMO, not proactive. Proactive was the rear seat recall. No one even knew there was an issue and Tesla owners (mine was one of the cars) and the market looked favorably on TM making a fix that they detected before anyone knew/complained. The blog, although good, is reactive. It is reacting after the 'third fire' when a storm started to grow around the battery pack and travel height at high speed. IMO, it would have been better released the day after the third fire. It would have shown that TM was out ahead of a possible NHTSA investigation....Stressing the safety vs ICE vehicles, taking action to see if raising the height may reduce future road debris/battery pack fires and including a replacement vehicle in the event of a collision fire.

Again, I am thrilled with the blog. Just a week later than it should have been.