Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla unable to transfer FSD due to firmware compatibility?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the same issue yesterday. I placed an Order Fee of $250 for a Model Y with the intent of using my Model 3 as a trade-in. So, I went through the whole process giving Tesla all of the pertinent information such as the VIN number of my Model 3. I reached the point where I have a scheduled delivery date which was yesterday, Aug. 24. I go to Tesla Service Center of Dublin with my wife. We signed all of the needed paperwork left to be signed. Everything went smoothly until I asked the question of the FSD transfer from my Model 3 to the Model Y. She then hands me over to a Delivery Supervisor. Delivery Supervisor proceeds to tell me that my Model 3 is not eligible. I asked her where is this written that there are Model 3's that cannot participate in this program and she cannot produce such policy. I showed her the FSD Terms and Condition that the salesperson asked me to sign, which I did and is on file now, and she reads it. And she still insisted and said "Sorry, I can't transfer your FSD..." She shows me in her list that I have AP1. I said FSD is software and what does a hardware version have to do with it? Of course, there is no answer and at the end of the day, I gave in. I asked to retract the purchase of the Model Y and I asked to get my Model 3 back. However, when I got to the car and drove away, I noticed something different with the map. I had bought a year's subscription of Premium Connectivity where I still have 7 months left. Well, too bad too bad. I lost that money. They said that once cancelled, it is not refundable nor transferrable. So, what is our recourse on this? Do we just take it without a good explanation from Tesla? I lost over $300 because of a hidden policy that Tesla did not disclose to the public.

I had the same issue yesterday. I placed an Order Fee of $250 for a Model Y with the intent of using my Model 3 as a trade-in. So, I went through the whole process giving Tesla all of the pertinent information such as the VIN number of my Model 3. I reached the point where I have a scheduled delivery date which was yesterday, Aug. 24. I go to Tesla Service Center of Dublin with my wife. We signed all of the needed paperwork left to be signed. Everything went smoothly until I asked the question of the FSD transfer from my Model 3 to the Model Y. She then hands me over to a Delivery Supervisor. Delivery Supervisor proceeds to tell me that my Model 3 is not eligible. I asked her where is this written that there are Model 3's that cannot participate in this program and she cannot produce such policy. I showed her the FSD Terms and Condition that the salesperson asked me to sign, which I did and is on file now, and she reads it. And she still insisted and said "Sorry, I can't transfer your FSD..." She shows me in her list that I have AP1. I said FSD is software and what does a hardware version have to do with it? Of course, there is no answer and at the end of the day, I gave in. I asked to retract the purchase of the Model Y and I asked to get my Model 3 back. However, when I got to the car and drove away, I noticed something different with the map. I had bought a year's subscription of Premium Connectivity where I still have 7 months left. Well, too bad too bad. I lost that money. They said that once cancelled, it is not refundable nor transferrable. So, what is our recourse on this? Do we just take it without a good explanation from Tesla? I lost over $300 because of a hidden policy that Tesla did not disclose to the public.
If you have a 2018 Model 3 which upgraded computer HW2.5 to HW3 with purchasing FSD as upgrades. You will have this problem. Apparently this can be fixed, but need someone in Tesla has more knowledge to look after this.

I asked to retract the purchase of the Model Y and I asked to get my Model 3 back
If you still do want to get FSD transferred to a new Model Y, keep asking until you find someone that knows how to handle it. Plenty of people here went through the same situation with older Model 3s with proof that they have FSD Capability purchased and were eventually successful.

Reactions: ZooSean
I hope you all can get Tesla to approve your FSD transfers. I think initially the requirement was to be sold with FSD to be able to transfer it (someone posted that requirement on this thread) but I think that changed. I am buying an new Y and transfering my FSD from my 2018 model 3. I bought all the options at purchase in 2018 but FSD was not out yet so I bought FSD in 2019. The manger (Jason) at the Honolulu showroom has been great from my first call (he happened to pick up the phone) till now. I shared with him this site and this was his reply
"I cannot speak for everyone's experience on the Internet, but I have confirmed your vehicle IS ELIGIBLE for FSD Transfer and that we have selected this on your Delivery. You can read more at the link below!
https://www.tesla.com/support/fsd-transfer"
In this link it says you need to own a tesla with FSD (not have purchased it with the vehicle). On my Tesla app under the new car it shows "FSD Capability Transfer From 2018 Tesla model 3 5y............". Good luck and I'll let everyone know if i have any issues when I get my Y in a week or two,

I hope you all can get Tesla to approve your FSD transfers. I think initially the requirement was to be sold with FSD to be able to transfer it (someone posted that requirement on this thread) but I think that changed. I am buying an new Y and transfering my FSD from my 2018 model 3. I bought all the options at purchase in 2018 but FSD was not out yet so I bought FSD in 2019. The manger (Jason) at the Honolulu showroom has been great from my first call (he happened to pick up the phone) till now. I shared with him this site and this was his reply
"I cannot speak for everyone's experience on the Internet, but I have confirmed your vehicle IS ELIGIBLE for FSD Transfer and that we have selected this on your Delivery. You can read more at the link below!
https://www.tesla.com/support/fsd-transfer"
In this link it says you need to own a tesla with FSD (not have purchased it with the vehicle). On my Tesla app under the new car it shows "FSD Capability Transfer From 2018 Tesla model 3 5y............". Good luck and I'll let everyone know if i have any issues when I get my Y in a week or two,
"
  • Be the legal owner and registrant of the current vehicle with Full Self-Driving capability purchased outright"
Sorry for my English, what means "purchased outright"

I don't think it was ever a requirement to have had FSD at purchase of the older car. The original terms had a sentence that some were mistakenly parsing that way.
" Be the legal and registered owner of a Tesla vehicle that currently has Full Self-Driving capability included at the time of delivery of the new Tesla vehicle."
Tesla since has smoothed that out to "Be the legal owner and registrant of the current vehicle with Full Self-Driving capability purchased outright".

However I'm hitting the same issue today. My 2018 was bought w/o any AP then FSD purchased and HW3 installed in March/APril of 2019. The sales system shows that I don't have FSD so there is nothing to transfer. The SA assigned to my inventory purchase hasn't been helpful in the least but I have another SA I met that is working with various managers in the OPS team today trying to get it straightened out. She did tell me that there are older cars that do have FSD that are not eligible for transfer-but based on the Tesla website and info page I don't think that is true. I'd like to assume they will get things straightened out but there are more than a couple threads here about poor customer service and support so am in wait and see mode.

......However I'm hitting the same issue today. My 2018 was bought w/o any AP then FSD purchased and HW3 installed in March/APril of 2019. The sales system shows that I don't have FSD so there is nothing to transfer....
You would think that after 2 months and all the bull shi$ headaches, misinformation and problems it has caused they would have corrected it by now. Tesla is weird. They can fix and rollout an update in just a few days but sometimes they seem oblivious to obvious problems and do nothing about it.

I don't think it was ever a requirement to have had FSD at purchase of the older car. The original terms had a sentence that some were mistakenly parsing that way.
" Be the legal and registered owner of a Tesla vehicle that currently has Full Self-Driving capability included at the time of delivery of the new Tesla vehicle."
Tesla since has smoothed that out to "Be the legal owner and registrant of the current vehicle with Full Self-Driving capability purchased outright".

However I'm hitting the same issue today. My 2018 was bought w/o any AP then FSD purchased and HW3 installed in March/APril of 2019. The sales system shows that I don't have FSD so there is nothing to transfer. The SA assigned to my inventory purchase hasn't been helpful in the least but I have another SA I met that is working with various managers in the OPS team today trying to get it straightened out. She did tell me that there are older cars that do have FSD that are not eligible for transfer-but based on the Tesla website and info page I don't think that is true. I'd like to assume they will get things straightened out but there are more than a couple threads here about poor customer service and support so am in wait and see mode.
I have the same Tesla, and my SA said that my transfer is set up with no problem.

Good luck I hope your team comes through. The Honolulu team has been great.